Gibson Brands Forums

What do I need to do?

Dub-T-123

The strings are breaking at the saddle. The guitar has the bent steel type saddles for each string. I'm not really sure it's the same strings every time, it's more like all of my strings will break if I keep playing. The D seems to be the first to go usually.

I would think it was a burr at the saddle if it was just one or two strings, but it's all my strings. What are the chances of getting my saddles all burred out at the same time? I think it's just that I'm playing a lot harder now.

So evol, you think the 11s could hold up? I just get into the song and bang on my guitar really hard. I'm sure you know all about that.

I've been playing guitars with heavy hand for a very long time. I've had only very short periods, few months, without a telecaster. I've had every bridge there is. I use 9's and bash at that thing like a caveman. It isn't the weather, it isn't you, it isn't the string gauge. It's the bridge. I prefer the 6 saddle rounded "pit" that the mid 90's teles used, with bent up edges like the olden days. The saddle wasn't grooved, it was more subtle, string could move around in there but the slope up would pretty much keep it in there.

You are probably pushing the string into the threads of the set screws that are above the saddle. If you have to, get some of that dip for electricians tool handles and paint it on the threads above each saddle once you have the action right for the gauge you use. For me that is no problem, I've been using 9's since EC was in GP in...whenever that was. Fer you yutes today, you guys change string gauges everytime some new Tone Ingredient is discovered, so it could be a hassle.

And if you find it is you actually hitting it that hard? Lessons my friend, get some lessons, have someone objectively look at how you approach the guitar and help you out. Trust me, thick strings and hitting it like an ape can be easily done with thin strings and masterful plectrumming. Sounding "Heavy" is how you do it, not how hard you do it, if that is what you are aiming for.

rct

Edited for spelling, grammar, and a decided lack of clarity. The usual.

I see what you're saying milod that's a good point. I threw some 11s on my Tele (really liking the sound) and I'm about to head to practice so I'll consider what you said and try to hit with my pick a bit "flatter".

Thing is, by the end of the night I usually degenerate into a total animal and forget all that stuff and that's when the strings start flying

Welcome to the big boy club.

Once I went to 11s I never looked back. I think you'll like them a lot.

I'm going to guess your saddles are fine. I'm also going to guess you are as strong as a gorilla.

Now that all the facts are in, I think for any given gauge, GHS and Dean Markley make the strongest strings, compared to EB and D'Adarrio.

I thought I had strong hands...lol...I think you should be able to handle 12's like a lot of people handle 10's.

I'm just a skinny white boy I'm not all buff or anything.

Hmm I'll have to give GHS and Dean Markley a try. I've used the Dean Markley acoustic strings and those are good

Haha I would go for 12s but I don't like a wound G. Not sure if there are a set of 12s out there with an unwound G.

I'm just a skinny white boy I'm not all buff or anything.

Hmm I'll have to give GHS and Dean Markley a try. I've used the Dean Markley acoustic strings and those are good

Haha I would go for 12s but I don't like a wound G. Not sure if there are a set of 12s out there with an unwound G.

You don't have to be buff to break strings. You're not chopping wood or busting concrete. SRV was short and slight, but his hands were relatively strong and he used a heavy attack so he broke strings lighter than 12's. There's no way he was going to carry anyone up a ladder like a fireman, but he could break strings.

Archived