Gibson Brands Forums

What do I need to do?

Dub-T-123

I'm having a horrible problem with constantly breaking strings. The past two or three practice sessions I've played I've broken multiple strings one after another. Just tonight I broke three strings and it was a brand new set of strings because I broke three strings last practice.

It's really starting to annoy me. I started playing bass with a pick a lot and with the music that I play I just got used to strumming extremely hard because of this. Once I transfer over to guitar I strum with the same intensity and it sounds good but I'm breaking strings left and right.

What do I need to do? Strumming lighter is not an option. I pick softly and fingerpick a lot of the time but sometimes I need to play really hard or it sounds lame.

This is with my Tele and I've been having this problem with Ernie Ball regular slinkies and DR TiteFit 10s. If I switched to 11s or 12s would that solve my problem? One of my bands finally has enough material to start gigging and I really don't want to worry about breaking strings on stage.

Try to see where the strings are breaking. If it's at the saddles you may have a problem there. How long has this been going on? You may have bought a couple defective sets of strings as well if the two sets you speak of came from e the same batch, say a set of three or something like that... Might want to take a look at the angle you use with your pic. A slight angle variation might help.

I use the same strings as you and havent broken them in years (hopefully i wont break them today now I've said that). So I dont think the string gauge is the major issue but try playing less aggressively and as already mentioned check the nut or bridge

I used to break strings a lot so I upped my gauge to 11s and have not had a problem since. I too strum with Neanderthal, ham handedness and 11s can take the abuse.

Before you up the gauge, I would take the advice already given. See if the string is breaking at the same spot every time. If it's at the bridge, you may have a bur that'll have to be filed down.

As stated above, there has not been nearly enough detailed information given the isolate the specific problem, but..... I'll go on the assumption of typical Tele issues.

The two problem points on a Tele are where the strings come through the body and bend across the holes in the bridge plate, and where they sit across the "threaded rod" type saddles.

Bridge Plate - Remove your bridge plate and smooth, or round out, the edge of the holes where the strings come through the body. This can be done with emory cloth, a rat tail file, or a Dremel tool (my choice). This may (will) scar the plating on the metal in this area, but what's worse, a little plating damage, or broken strings?

Saddles - If you have threaded rod saddles, replace them with the grooved type.

IF... you're breaking strings at the tuning machines, you need to remove a "burr" or sharp edge at the hole on the tuner shafts. Same procedure, precautions and disclaimer as working on the bridge plate.

Once these issues are inspected and addressed, you may still find that you simply are too heavy handed for the string gauge, and will need to up your gauge (or use a thinner pick).

+1 "Where are your strings breaking?"

Take your time and make sure you are properly wrapping the capstan and stretching your strings correctly. Slack in the winding around the capstan can cause breakage. You gotta be precise about how you wind & stretch your strings - 2 or 3 wraps only, precisely coiled on the capstan, and maintain good constant tension at all times while wrapping.

Then you have got to stretch the strings - tune up, then at the 12th fret lift the string about 2 fingers width off the fretboard and gently wag from side to side, then gently lower the string back down. Do this on all the strings, retune, repeat until tuning is stable (usually 2 or 3 stretchings once you get the hang of this routine).

If strings are breaking at the saddle, there may be a burr or sharp edge there. Inspect the saddles with a magnifying glass (you can get one at the $1 store) to locate the problem spot and use a D string to run it back and forth in the groove to smooth out the rough spot. If strings still break, repeat this process. Worst comes to worst, buy a set of graphite saddles.

If none of this helps, you've picked up some bad picking habits along the way. Get in the shed for an hour a day and get back to basics with a metronome at slow tempos. You've got a bad angle of attack or something. Trust me, I've been known to break multiple strings in one 2-minute song and I had to have 2 backup guitars always. I broke bad habits and learned the right ways years ago. Also Fast Fret is your best friend!

The strings are breaking at the saddle. The guitar has the bent steel type saddles for each string. I'm not really sure it's the same strings every time, it's more like all of my strings will break if I keep playing. The D seems to be the first to go usually.

I would think it was a burr at the saddle if it was just one or two strings, but it's all my strings. What are the chances of getting my saddles all burred out at the same time? I think it's just that I'm playing a lot harder now.

So evol, you think the 11s could hold up? I just get into the song and bang on my guitar really hard. I'm sure you know all about that.

If you're playing with that much of intensity, I would say at least 11-54's. I used to use them when I was playing 80's hardcore stuff, and that was the only way to go. Otherwise, string after string after string. It'll be a lot harder on your fingers, and make bends very difficult, however I would imagine you won't break strings.

Well, I just got a set of Ernie Ball 11s and I'll be having a jam session tonight. We'll see how it works out

If they keep breaking I'll just take my guitar into the little shop near me for a full setup (my guitar could use it anyways).

I used to break some strings using 9-42s and playing rhythm. Turns out I was running the pick in a somewhat circular pattern as I analyzed it. Some strings would get a deeper "cut" on a given pass of the pick and...

After figuring that out - some 40+ years ago - I changed technique enough that I would have a flatter strum even if really banging on the guitar. Ain't broken even 8s since then, although mostly I've been fingerpickin' since late '79.

Coming back to some acoustic flatpicking I've been pretty conscious of not digging into the strings but strumming over them. Plucking with a plectrum is one thing, using the pick to carry the string and pull on it is something else, I think.

m

I see what you're saying milod that's a good point. I threw some 11s on my Tele (really liking the sound) and I'm about to head to practice so I'll consider what you said and try to hit with my pick a bit "flatter".

Thing is, by the end of the night I usually degenerate into a total animal and forget all that stuff and that's when the strings start flying

Dress the saddles, if that doesn't do it replace them. If that doesn't do it........ [confused]

Have you needed to raise the bridge or saddles in order to compensate for bad neck camber? That would make a sharper angle where the string comes off the saddle.

Dress the saddles, if that doesn't do it replace them. If that doesn't do it........ [confused]

Have you needed to raise the bridge or saddles in order to compensate for bad neck camber? That would make a sharper angle where the string comes off the saddle.

This [thumbup].

I just realized, maybe use a different pick for each instrument to compensate for yourself.

I noticed on a different thread that a lot more people use thin picks than I would have thought. It might be worth an experiment regardless of string breakage issues....you might get a better sound.

I strike the strings real hard sometimes, for effect. But one thing that happens is the strings goes sharp when it vibrates like too fat or itself.

I am a little curious if it wouldn't actually sound better with a thin pick because it would be more in tune, and a little something would be 'held back', while at the same time retaining the high energy aspects of a hard strumming style.

The strings are breaking at the saddle. The guitar has the bent steel type saddles for each string. I'm not really sure it's the same strings every time, it's more like all of my strings will break if I keep playing. The D seems to be the first to go usually.

I would think it was a burr at the saddle if it was just one or two strings, but it's all my strings. What are the chances of getting my saddles all burred out at the same time? I think it's just that I'm playing a lot harder now.

So evol, you think the 11s could hold up? I just get into the song and bang on my guitar really hard. I'm sure you know all about that.

yeah, i used to have the same problem. i had graphite saddles installed on my lp and also worked on my sloppy picking technique....

This might be crazy,

But I lost two strings myself at rehearsals tonight. I lost my low E and my A string. Both within minutes of each other, both at the saddles. I was playing an open D chord into an E and pop the E went. I strung a new one up and once it was in tune I played the same chords and pop the A string went.

I don't know about where you're located, but here in the NYC area it's been wet, humid, damp and moist the past week. It's actually been raining on and off for a couple of days now. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I'm going to put a new set on tomorrow and see what's what. I will also take a photo to see the angle of that the strings are at, just because I'm curious.

So bizarre.

Firstmeasure actually yeah I've adjusted the saddles just to set the "action" how I like it.

I didn't break a string tonight and I was playing as I always do. The 11s seem to be treating me well *knock on wood* They feel perfect and sound a little beefier too.

Stein I hate thin picks man. I'd rather pick softly with a heavy pick sometimes and have the option of thrashing the strings when the moment calls for it. Plus I break thin picks almost every time I use fhem..

I'm having a horrible problem with constantly breaking strings.

I'm breaking strings left and right.

I break thin picks almost every time I use them..

I'm going to guess your saddles are fine. I'm also going to guess you are as strong as a gorilla.

Now that all the facts are in, I think for any given gauge, GHS and Dean Markley make the strongest strings, compared to EB and D'Adarrio.

I thought I had strong hands...lol...I think you should be able to handle 12's like a lot of people handle 10's.

Firstmeasure actually yeah I've adjusted the saddles just to set the "action" how I like it.

It's probably not the problem if there's adjustment room left. If they're maxed out it could be it. Probably just heavy handedness, go with bigger strings.

Archived