Gibson Brands Forums

What's that smell?

JoeM17

1 hour ago, Wmachine said:

I've read quite a few posts and threads about this over the years about this.  And the short answer is that I've been able to conclude the answer is both, to some degree.  Both the (some at least) cases and the USA guitars have a scent.  "Both" also explains why the debate has raged on for so many years.

That's why I roll my eyes when someone has "irrefutable proof" that it is one and not the other.  "There you have it, folks!"

I owned a few brand new Gibson's and could never smell the Vanilla. I like the smell that's in there, to me its a new a "new guitar smell" Perhaps if I was to smell James' guitar case,I might not interpret the smell as Vanilla like he does? Just a thought...

• Upvote 1

I know that new USA Gibson smell...  I like it.  I have to say that one day when I gave my kid a Honey Maid graham cracker, it seemed to oddly enough remind me of the smell of a new USA Gibson.  I mean, my 2018 LP Classic had the smell we are talking about, and if I put on a blindfold and you asked me to smell both - the LP Classic and the graham cracker - I might have a difficult time discerning the 2 apart.  I know, I'm crazy, haha!  So if you want that new Gibson smell, start putting Honey Maid graham crackers in your cases along side your guitar 🙂  May get a little crumby in there, but hey, it smells good... 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

I know that new USA Gibson smell...  I like it.  I have to say that one day when I gave my kid a Honey Maid graham cracker, it seemed to oddly enough remind me of the smell of a new USA Gibson.  I mean, my 2018 LP Classic had the smell we are talking about, and if I put on a blindfold and you asked me to smell both - the LP Classic and the graham cracker - I might have a difficult time discerning the 2 apart.  I know, I'm crazy, haha!  So if you want that new Gibson smell, start putting Honey Maid graham crackers in your cases along side your guitar 🙂  May get a little crumby in there, but hey, it smells good... 

I find it to be a very pleasant smell as well, I just can't compare it with anything like vanilla or graham crackers, I will agree it is sweet smelling. You know how they have that spray of "New Car Smell" to refresh the car interior? Someone needs to come out with a spray called "New Gibson Case Smell" 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Big Bill said:

I find it to be a very pleasant smell as well, I just can't compare it with anything like vanilla or graham crackers, I will agree it is sweet smelling. You know how they have that spray of "New Car Smell" to refresh the car interior? Someone needs to come out with a spray called "New Gibson Case Smell" 

I'd get a case of it and spray it on everything haha! 

• Upvote 1