Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

57classic

Well, I've had it for 3 weeks now but I've been too busy playing it to take and post pics. I was trying out J45 TV's and while really nice, I like the growl of rosewood. I noticed a J45 custom of the wall of a 5 star dealer and I really liked the guitar but wasn't sure about it so I left. I went back a couple of days later and sure enough it had sold the day before! I figured it wasn't meant to be. I started looking around and I couldn't find it locally. I called a few of the usual suspects on the web and most were out without expectations of any for at least 2 months. I did find a couple but remembered modoc_333 works at Bailey Bros. in AL - a 5 star dealer. I PMed him. Lo and behold he had one in stock! He emailed me a few pics, we settled on a price, he packed it up and a few days later it arrived. They did a set up on it and it is just the best sounding, easiest playing acoustic I've ever played. It plays as easily as my ES339. I've had a couple of Taylors over the years and played many high end guitars but this guitar and I were meant for each other. [biggrin] I hope the picture upload works. I couldn't find the instructions how to do it.

http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/yy152/jones02021/J45%20Custom/

Huge thanks to Keith at Bailey Bros. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Big congratulations. That is a great looking guitar, I much prefer it to the vine J-45. This is just right amount of bling.

Never played one but would love to have the opportunity. Id be curious how the rosewood combines with the short scale and slope shape. As you may recall Im selling my Songwriter as I found the overtone splashing around too much, and in the end just didnt give the guitar enough air time. I imagine with the J-45 the overtones would be more focused, so you get the rosewood richness but with control.

Anway, if you get a chance to do a sound sample Id love to hear it !

Enjoy and all the very best !

EA

Thanks BK for posting those. I do really love it and can't wait to hear after it starts to open up.

EA, I'm selling my SWD too. The sound on the J45 is much different than on the Songwriter. I'm sure the short scale has something to do with it. I think your description of a rich sound is spot on. It still sounds like a J45 but with a little more oomph. The rosewood is not overpowering to me at all. It's very balanced. This J45 has that jumbo airiness to it and it just resonates on and on... So much so that I don't have any plans to put a bone saddle in. The nut appears to be Tusq even though the specs say bone. I'll probably put ebony pins with abalone dots but thats just for appearance.

Happy NGD great choice they really are a great sounding guitar! excellent top also.

nice that you've bonded with it as well... Congrats!

Rob

Thanks Rob. I was originally thinking J185 TV. While really nice, it didn't grab me. This did.

Thanks for the well wishes!

I've played versions of this by other builders, including Collings. I can't understand why people would pay so much more for something that in my estimation is not an improvement on sound or playability. Call me a Gibson fanboy I guess.

Wily thanks, the table is a one off I made.

jdd, it's nice to have confirmation on that, lol. It's easy to become infatuated with such things.

Archived