Gibson Brands Forums

WHich Pups do I have in my new 339?

Crow

I am confused. I am not sure what pups the guitar has. I am not sure if I have the "pro" model or just a ee9. According to a post in here from "Epi1" right HERE, the pro decription really doesn't mean anything. it's just a tag they recently put on the guitars, and they are the same guitars..At least that's what I got from it, here are his words and I quote:

"I would like to try to clear up some confusion that may exist regarding the ES-339 PRO. The specifications for this guitar have always been the same even though it was first called an "ES-339" but now more recently, an "ES-339 PRO." When first introduced our supporting literature referred to it simply as the "ES-339." However, this was changed recently to more accurately call it an "ES-339 PRO."

The "PRO" suffix refers to a set of common features that include:

1. ProBucker or Alnico Classic Pro pickups. The ProBuckers are patterned after the Gibson BurstBuckers while the Alnico Classic Pro's are patterned after the Gibson '57 Classics. Both are 4-wire pickups with 18% nickel silver covers and bases and Elektrisola wire. You can read more about this HERE:

2. Push/Pull coil-tapping on each volume knob.

The recent price reduction was simply that. We did not change the specs, parts or anything else on the guitar. We just wanted more of you to be able to afford this fantastic new guitar. :-)

Thanks again for all your support and participation in our forum.

Best regards,

Epi1 "

WHy am I confused, well where I bought mine, at americanmusical it doesn't mention "Pro" in the description, on other websites it does for what I assume are the same guitars, where I bought mine it says I have :

Neck Pickup: Epiphone ProBucker 2

Bridge Pickup: Epiphone ProBucker 3

on the order confirmation email it says I bought 1 Epiphone ES 339 Electric Guitar Ebony

But on the tag hanging on the guitar it says its an ES-339 Pro

On Epihone webite, they only list them as ES-339 Pro

and they say they have:

Neck Pickup Alnico Classic PRO™

Bridge Pickup Alnico Classic PRO™

I have seen what I assume is the same guitar at other MF describing them as the "pro" model and saying they have the Alnico Classic pups in the description.

I wonder whey I am confused?..lol [confused] Do I have a pro model? Do I have a non pro model, and what pickups do I have in it, and how do I tell? Can anyone explain this to me. I just bought this guitar two weeks ago, and I had been waiting for it to arrive, so I assume its just been built recently. The serial number is 11111502786 I have no clue what the serial 3 tells me about the guitar. Made in 2011? But sold in May of 2012? pro? Non Pro? Probuster pups? Alnico classics? The descriptions on carious sites are all over the place..lol

I put Gibson 57 classics in my old Dot last year, and these pups sound hotter then those. I love the pups whatever they are, but I would like to know. Ep11 hasn't asnwered that question yet. Can anyone explain it to me please? OR do we care?..lol

According to the Epi website you have Alnico Classic Pro ups in there.

From what I can see, the Probucker pups have Alnico II magnets in them. So perhaps the Alnico Classic Pro just has a different type of magnet. Maybe they have an Alnco V in there, or something else. Just a guess. :)

During the first year of production, before they were called PROs, the had ProBucker pickups in them. In the second year of production, after being given the PRO suffix, they now have Alnico Classic Pros in them. I know what Jim said in his email, but I have the Excel spec sheets for both years and that is what they say.

Here they are in text format in case you dont have Excel.

SP_ES339 - 2011.txt

SP_ES339 - 2012.txt

According to the Epi website you have Alnico Classic Pro ups in there.

From what I can see, the Probucker pups have Alnico II magnets in them. So perhaps the Alnico Classic Pro just has a different type of magnet. Maybe they have an Alnco V in there, or something else. Just a guess. :)

According the website yes.. maybe.. I'm not sure if I would know the differences if I had one of each. But I thought I was buying the Probuckers when I purchased it. Because that's what the description said. I would like for Epiphone to explain this better. In the quote I posted from Ep1, he says either or. He doesn't say which. I'm just trying understand why the listings and descriptions are all over the place. In that other thread, some else asked him the same question, so I am not the only one confused.I really like the Pups. They seem much hotter than the 57's I put in my Dot.

During the first year of production, before they were called PROs, the had ProBucker pickups in them. In the second year of production, after being given the PRO suffix, they now have Alnico Classic Pros in them. I know what Jim said in his email, but I have the Excel spec sheets for both years and that is what they say.

Here they are in text format in case you dont have Excel.

Good info, so with my serial number, which year model do I have? Since it wasn't in stock, I assumed it was built this year, but since the tag said Pro, I thought I had the "Pro" with the Probuckers. But maybe this is an older guitar? Forgive me, I know not how to decipher my serial number 11111502786 and will that tell me which Pups I have?

Also, in both of your text files they say the machine heads are Wilkinson™ Vintage with Tombstone buttons, mine say Grover Deluxe on them? Is that the same as Wilkinson™ Vintage ? I assumed not?

Your serial number indicates that it was made in 2011. However, that doesnt necessarily mean that you have ProBucker pickups. I dont know when the switch was. It could have been in mid-2011 for all we know. The neck and body could have been made in 2011 and the electronics from 2012. Its really hard to say. I would assume that if your guitar was originally out of stock and listed as a PRO, then you have the Alnico Classic PRO pickups.

Your serial number indicates that it was made in 2011. However, that doesnt necessarily mean that you have ProBucker pickups. I dont know when the switch was. It could have been in mid-2011 for all we know. The neck and body could have been made in 2011 and the electronics from 2012. Its really hard to say. I would assume that if your guitar was originally out of stock and listed as a PRO, then you have the Alnico Classic PRO pickups.

Thanks for the reply, I wonder if there is a way to find out..lol Or do I just forget about it?..lol

You answered me quickly, did you miss my edit question?

In both of your text files they say the machine heads are Wilkinson™ Vintage with Tombstone buttons, mine say Grover Deluxe on them? Is that the same as Wilkinson™ Vintage ? I assumed not?

That is all over the place also, every site has them different, and on Epiphones website they say the pro model has Grover vintage. But where I bought mine, it said it had Wilkenson's..lol Obviously where I bought mine was wrong, and on other sites they are wrong as well..lol You gotta admit it's confusing. I guess I won't care.. [thumbup]

Wilkinson and Grover are two different brands.

If the specs on the tuners is incorrect, then there is always the possibility that the 2011 pickup info is incorrect as well. However, when the ProBuckers first started coming out there were no Alnico Classic PROs that I know of. That seems to be something new for 2012. The thing is that these spec sheets are supposed to be used by the retailer for their websites. It is no wonder that the info is all over the map.

And as far as the tuners go, quality-wise they are both very good. Epiphone does state though, that they reserve the right to change specifications without notice for any reason. This may be the case with the tuners. Grovers may be less expensive than the Wilkinsons.

If the specs on the tuners is incorrect, then there is always the possibility that the 2011 pickup info is incorrect as well. However, when the ProBuckers first started coming out there were no Alnico Classic PROs that I know of. That seems to be something new for 2012. The thing is that these spec sheets are supposed to be used by the retailer for their websites. It is no wonder that the info is all over the map.

And as far as the tuners go, quality-wise they are both very good. Epiphone does state though, that they reserve the right to change specifications without notice for any reason. This may be the case with the tuners. Grovers may be less expensive than the Wilkinsons.

Thanks for all the help. I doubt if anyone could answer better then you have. Yes, they are all over the place. I am happy with the guitar and the pups. That is important. Just ryng to get a grip o hte chaos..lol Just in case I ever need to know what I have. I do have Grover tuners. I know that. ..lol

I bought a Fender Lead I back in the early 80's. I knew what it was cause the decal on the headstock said Fender Lead I made in the USA.. 30 years later after the invention of the Internet, I just happened to download a manual for it, and discovered what I had was a Lead II, the electronics were totally different on the two, and the manual showed me I have a Lead II. Lead I's looked nothing like mine.I can google pics of a Lead I all day long and don't find one like mine. What I have is a Lead II with a Lead I decal on the headstock. Probably a leftover Lead I neck installed on the newer model Lead II. It should be worth a ,int right?..lol. I emailed Fender about it, and of course they never replied back.

No problem. Sorry that I couldnt give you a definitive answer. I dont think that anyone really knows for sure.

Please don't be sorry, I appreciate the input. I think you are right, no one but the guy who puts them together knows, and I doubt he does..lol. I envision a shelf full of parts and someone grabbit what fits and installing it, fast as he can..lol..lol

Maybe Epi1 will answer in the other thread. Thanks very much!

Please don't be sorry, I appreciate the input. I think you are right, no one but the guy who puts them together knows, and I doubt he does..lol. I envision a shelf full of parts and someone grabbit what fits and installing it, fast as he can..lol..lol

Maybe Epi1 will answer in the other thread. Thanks very much!

hey hi Crow and welcome nice guitar you have! Don't think many if any made it out the door with the probuckers and

all seem to have the grovers rather than the wilkinsons The best way to know what pick-ups you have is to take the four screws out of the pick up ring(neck position is easy) they are marked underneth the pick up with a silver sticker & type they are ...odds are you have the classics.

Rob

For what its worth the PuPs in my ES 339 are part numbers ACPNHCN-4 (Neck) and ACPNHCB-4 (Bridge). See pics in this post .

The Serial Number on my guitar is 11121502213 and the Model Number is: DOT ES 339 CH. Bought from Dawsons (UK) in March 2012.

How do you decode the serial number?

YY = year of manufacture

MM = month of manufature

FF = factory I.D.

RRRRR = ranking number

Example: 08121520333 was made in December 2008, factory 15, 2 unknown significance, 0333 unit produced

The pickup model prefix ACH means Alnico Claissic Pro.

hey hi Crow and welcome nice guitar you have! Don't think many if any made it out the door with the probuckers

You may be right. That would account for Jim R's responce to the question. Funny how the Spec sheet claimed ProBuckers for almost a whole year until the official PRO model was released.

You may be right. That would account for Jim R's responce to the question. Funny how the Spec sheet claimed ProBuckers for almost a whole year until the official PRO model was released.

Which is understandable... promotion literature is a whole different thing than what actually gets into production a year later!

But all said and done its amazing that they can even produce such a great value in a guitar!! I say kudos To Epi.

hey hi Crow and welcome nice guitar you have! Don't think many if any made it out the door with the probuckers and

all seem to have the grovers rather than the wilkinsons The best way to know what pick-ups you have is to take the four screws out of the pick up ring(neck position is easy) they are marked underneth the pick up with a silver sticker & type they are ...odds are you have the classics.

Rob

Yeah I guess I could take them out and read the back..lol. It just drives me nuts that all the info everywhere is mixed up. No matter, I love the guitar. It sounds more like my Korean Dot did before I changed the pups to Gibson 57's. Hotter. I like'em..Thanks, it is a nice guitar.

For what its worth the PuPs in my ES 339 are part numbers ACPNHCN-4 (Neck) and ACPNHCB-4 (Bridge). See pics in this post .

The Serial Number on my guitar is 11121502213 and the Model Number is: DOT ES 339 CH. Bought from Dawsons (UK) in March 2012.

How do you decode the serial number?

Thanks for the pics of the pups. Too bad the letters and numbers are in secret code..lol. But it's good knowing what's probably stamped on my pups. Love the guitar. Hate the push pull thing, I just have no need for it. I leave them down, and don't like the way they stick up in the air. But a fine guitar at a great price.!

I think the statement/disclaimer "specifications subject to change.. (without notice)" is what has happened for this situation, Crow's new 339 model. The "without notice" part probably means that the company won't reissue or publish/make known the updated changes of original specifications.

Manufacturers have been including this disclaimer for decades, however, the question isn't regarding a small design change or minor parts substitution.. the specific pickups used for a certain model are a main purchasing factor.

I'm convinced that company execs (or anyone else) in the USA rarely ever know for certain what's taking place in China.. which can be a source of serious problems with specific info regarding various manufacturing factors. Even though the models for domestic US sales may pass thru Nashville, it doesn't mean that new models are checked to confirm the specific internal parts.

I was curious about Epi1's reply yesterday, so I read the ProBucker "marketing descriptions" (not actual manufacturing job tickets). The Probuckers were announced in 2010 and had a few material specs that the common Epiphone pickups don't have.

2010 ProBucker Announcement Link

OK, I realize that most folks won't want to disassemble their new pickups, but if the p-up frame/base plate isn't silver-color, then the p-up likely isn't (couldn't be) a ProBucker or Alnico Classic Pro. Same goes for the signal lead, if it's not a 4-wire cable.

These are just the easily recognized external p-up features.

Since Crow's 339 was tagged as a PRO, it should have PRO parts and features, IMO, regardless of if it was a 2011 or 2012 model.

Actual model years can be different than the manufacturing date, since the Chinese models spend a lot of time being warehoused/stockpiled at various points before they pass thru Nashville for the "USA inspection and setup". My 2009 SG has a 2008 serial number (applied at the factory) but a 2009 date on the printed-out model label on the neck tag. I don't know if this applies to other countries.

Epiphone seems to be doing business in a way that is somewhat non-traditional. They announce new products, release sales info to all the dealers, accept pre-orders, then later begin distributing products (sometimes after long waiting periods).

There was a manufacturing process introduced a couple decades ago referred to as JIT Just-In-Time, where OEM manufacturers wouldn't need to stock large inventories of parts, but instead, have the parts produced as they were needed to meet production demand levels.

If the Epiphone production model is supposed to be JIT, it isn't working out very well.. but I don't suppose the process is intended to be a JIT model, but something altogether different.

BTW, as far as p-up characteristics.. Les Paul Pro or other PRO models may not have "premium" p-ups in them. I bought a set of p-ups from a LP Pro/FX and they have brass (not silver-color) back plates and are labeled BRIDGE PICK UPS BHC and NECK PICK UPS BHC, with the now commonly applied RoHS (lead-free) stickers, and 4-wire cables.

I'm just mentioning this so it's clear that all PRO models don't necessarily include the premium/special materials p-ups.

Bill

I think the statement/disclaimer "specifications subject to change.. (without notice)" is what has happened for this situation, Crow's new 339 model. The "without notice" part probably means that the company won't reissue or publish/make known the updated changes of original specifications.

Manufacturers have been including this disclaimer for decades, however, the question isn't regarding a small design change or minor parts substitution.. the specific pickups used for a certain model are a main purchasing factor.

I'm convinced that company execs (or anyone else) in the USA rarely ever know for certain what's taking place in China.. which can be a source of serious problems with specific info regarding various manufacturing factors. Even though the models for domestic US sales may pass thru Nashville, it doesn't mean that new models are checked to confirm the specific internal parts.

I was curious about Epi1's reply yesterday, so I read the ProBucker "marketing descriptions" (not actual manufacturing job tickets). The Probuckers were announced in 2010 and had a few material specs that the common Epiphone pickups don't have.

2010 ProBucker Announcement Link

OK, I realize that most folks won't want to disassemble their new pickups, but if the p-up frame/base plate isn't silver-color, then the p-up likely isn't (couldn't be) a ProBucker or Alnico Classic Pro. Same goes for the signal lead, if it's not a 4-wire cable.

These are just the easily recognized external p-up features.

Since Crow's 339 was tagged as a PRO, it should have PRO parts and features, IMO, regardless of if it was a 2011 or 2012 model.

Actual model years can be different than the manufacturing date, since the Chinese models spend a lot of time being warehoused/stockpiled at various points before they pass thru Nashville for the "USA inspection and setup". My 2009 SG has a 2008 serial number (applied at the factory) but a 2009 date on the printed-out model label on the neck tag. I don't know if this applies to other countries.

Epiphone seems to be doing business in a way that is somewhat non-traditional. They announce new products, release sales info to all the dealers, accept pre-orders, then later begin distributing products (sometimes after long waiting periods).

There was a manufacturing process introduced a couple decades ago referred to as JIT Just-In-Time, where OEM manufacturers wouldn't need to stock large inventories of parts, but instead, have the parts produced as they were needed to meet production demand levels.

If the Epiphone production model is supposed to be JIT, it isn't working out very well.. but I don't suppose the process is intended to be a JIT model, but something altogether different.

BTW, as far as p-up characteristics.. Les Paul Pro or other PRO models may not have "premium" p-ups in them. I bought a set of p-ups from a LP Pro/FX and they have brass (not silver-color) back plates and are labeled BRIDGE PICK UPS BHC and NECK PICK UPS BHC, with the now commonly applied RoHS (lead-free) stickers, and 4-wire cables.

I'm just mentioning this so it's clear that all PRO models don't necessarily include the premium/special materials p-ups.

Bill

Thanks for the Backup Bill. It would be nice if I got what I thought I bought..lol Lucky for me I like whatever it is..lol

I used to work for State Govt. This is how things go there..lol no one knows anything about what's goign except what they think they know.ANd by golly that's a fact. I just retired two weeks ago. its awesome gettin outta there!! Sittin around playin geeeeetars Whoohooo!

• 9 years later...

Just bought s/h 339 or 339 pro dont know which. It has Epiphone deluxe tuners and pick ups are

ACPNHBN - 4 neck and

ACPPNHBB - 4 bridge

I guess ACP means alnico pro

HB means humbucker

and N and B at end means neck and bridge

as to NH and PN in the middle no idea  

volume controls have push pull  

do I have a pro or not???

• 1 month later...

I replaced my new 2020 ES-339’s Epiphone USA Alnico Classic Pro’s with GFS Mean 90’s

SOw9s5H.jpg

Stock Pickups wired direct to full sized CTS pots, no circuitboard.

ScU7NrT.jpg

New Headstock with stock Grover Machine Heads

NXuGO2m.jpg

Duesenberg Les Trem II

Edited by mihcmac