Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for Gibson Acoustic

neilford

I have an 2008 ES-335. I have a junker acoustic that I want to replace with an Epi or a Gibson acoustic. Besides the obvious reasons for replacing my junker, I have found that the feel of the neck of my acoustic is radically different from the feel of my 335. Because of this, it takes me a while to adjust to my 335 after playing acoustic for a while. Is there an Epi or Gibson acoustic that has the same dimensions as my 335? Or is this a pipe dream? I have a 2008 335. Thanks.

I have an 2008 ES-335. I have a junker acoustic that I want to replace with an Epi or a Gibson acoustic. Besides the obvious reasons for replacing my junker, I have found that the feel of the neck of my acoustic is radically different from the feel of my 335. Because of this, it takes me a while to adjust to my 335 after playing acoustic for a while. Is there an Epi or Gibson acoustic that has the same dimensions as my 335? Or is this a pipe dream? I have a 2008 335. Thanks.

I find a lot of variation between the necks on Gibsons even when you are playing the same type of guitar such as ES335's. I own two 335's and they both play and sound very different. So it's hard to be really helpful but my J185 Cutaway has a neck that feels to me like I'm playing an electric guitar. I don't know that the neck is the same as your ES335 but it feels easy, fast and great.

d14902dd.png

There are a number of short scale acoustics from Gibson. The only thing is that most Gibson acoustics have a slightly wider nut than their electrics.

I don't think the "standard" modern Gibson acoustic nut width difference will be a major problem, as it is typically only 1/16" wider than his ES 335 will be. I'm pretty sure string spacing at the saddle is the same on modern acoustics and electrics.

The neck sectional profile might be a bit different, depending on the acoustic model chosen, but he should be able to adapt. I've got five Gibsons right now--two electrics and three acoustics, both modern and vintage--and they all have different nut widths and neck sectional profiles.

Neil,the answer to your question is a Gibson Cascade. Here you will get an ES feel on an acoustic guitar, well as near as you can as they are two different animals but I guess you know that. They come up now and again on E Bay, don't think Gibson make them any more but that's all the fun of acquiring. Good luck.

First off, I think you would get more responses if you posted this in the acoustic section.

Second, what neck profile is on your 335? Slim taper? Fat neck? These are very different profiles.

Gibson makes various profiles on their acoustic. To figure out what you might like, it would be helpful to know more about your 335's neck.

I have also have a 2008 ES-335, Custom Shop Larry Carlton model. The neck is wonderful. I don't like the necks on Gibson acoustics. I recently sold a J160E. The neck was so round and different that I just couldn't get comfortable playing it. To me, Gibson acoustic's neck are similar to Martin's. Too round and fat for someone used to playing electric. I find that Taylor acoustics have necks that are the closest to Gibson electrics and they have excellent tone.

Archived