Gibson Brands Forums

BBE Sonic Stomp

So I go to my local music shop for two packs of strings and walk out with a Sonic Stomp... It happens but anyways here is my two cents on the BBE.

I know that the thing that everybody says is that this pedal makes it seem as if a blanket has been removed from your amp. I guess they are right but that's not what I would say. Before the Sonic Stomp, my tone was dialed in to the best that I could get it to be and I really liked it... it was a good sound. After plugging in the Sonic Stomp it took my existing tone and enhanced it to the best clarity that I have heard with my rig yet. Sounded like my amp had been cured of a 7 year long head cold w/ chest congestion... Kinda gross, I know. but with my experience that is what it sounded like to me. Not a blanket removed, but more like... well you get the idea.

It wasn't until yesterday that I found a demo/review that really explained what the pedal does. Mostly you will hear people call the BBE S.S. an EQ but not an EQ. In a way that is correct because you are manipulating the frequency. But the best description that I got for the pedal is the following. Mind you this isn't word for word and is just my interperetation of what was said.

The BBE Sonic Stomp takes the frequencies being played from your instrument (i.e. guitar) and alters the time delivery of each frequency to your speaker which will allow for the clarity. What happens when sound is transferred from guitar to amp to speaker is kind of like a dam effect. All the frequencies get mushed into the speaker at once and causes the mud effect. So basically without the BBE frequencies a b and c go through your speaker at the same time causing muddy tone. With the BBE frequencies a b and c go through your speaker at different rates a then b then c which allow for clarity and enhanced tone.

As mentioned, that's not word for word but it makes sense to me how to explain how it works. But it's definitly not a magic cure all. I think if you have a horrible sound to begin with, you will just be enhancing a horrible sound. Get your rig dialed in correctly and slap a BBE S.S. in your chain and I think you'll be happy with what you hear. Then upgrade your amp speakers and watch out!

I own one, while I understand how it works I always think of it as a "smart two-knob equalizer".

Of my 4 amps my Mesa benefits less from it, essentially does not need it.

The one thing that I have found is that while Sonic Maximizer adds clarity and "improves" your sound I don't think it is for vintage tone purists as it is evident it does add a processed sound quality to the tone of your amp depending on your settings. For vintage-modern and modern tones is great.

I also use it to fatten my tone when playing with high gain at low volumes,

This is one of those pedals I will probably never sell.

By the way I covered mine in tweed, if you do a search here it'll probably come up.

By the way I covered mine in tweed, if you do a search here it'll probably come up.

I would love to see that! Also, I haven't tried it through a vintage unit yet, only my Hot Rod Deluxe. So up next I will try it through the 65 Super RI and then after that in my 75 PA100 (which I would love to convert to a twin)

As of now I placed the BBE at the end of my chain going directly into the front of the amp. I never used an effects loop before BUT I am in an experimenting phase since I have a month off from performing so if I can find pedals to run into the HRD loop I will do that; however, I have to figure a way to make this work since I run the H.R.D. and the Super in unison and the Super doesn't have a loop.

Delaying lows and highs so they get to yer ears at the right time is part of recording and always has been. It's why monitors look like they do and why they have crossovers and all that stuff.

BBE is good thing to have, but best used in moderation. Most of us older goofs hate them from the 80's, couldn't get away from them.

rct

BBE is good thing to have, but best used in moderation.

I seem to be on an agreeing spree with you today haha. Definitely a pedal for use in moderation as are all effects that are meant to be "transparent". I feel this applies to compression as well. It's an effect that is to be there... but not so much that it draws attention to itself.

My opinion.

I had a sonic stomp for the guitar, and sold it. Still have their bigger version for my PA. If you are not good with EQ, the stomp does offer some help/ I know what the sales pitch is, and it does sound like someone removed a blanket from your speaker, but it sounded fake to me. Their was residual sounds that followed the silence when I stopped. For me, I got a great pre amp, and the sound was better, I thought than what the stomp did. Its not an EQ thing, you can use a EQ pedal, and not get what the stomp does, but a good preamp will bring your amp to life, and its still your amps sound, not a processed sound. I use the Nocturne Atomic Brain, and used it with a side by side comparison. The stomp is glitzy, u the brain preamp made the amp work, and got all the jingles and low ends out of my amp. Just my two sense worth. Like I said, I use the BBe sonic maximizer for my PA, as i am not as good at EQ in that situation, and it acts like a magic bullet, makes the sound come alive. But not on my guitar amp anymore.

I have a rack mount BBE 882i.......It looks nice; I don't use it much..........

Gotta say, that tweed stomp box looks killer....Tweed on anything looks nice; I'm tweeding a guitar soon......:unsure: [blink][smile][thumbup] ..........

No, the finish is shellac, I went old school. Mixed clear and amber until it achieved the color I wanted.

I glued the tweed with tolex glue.

I am planning to cover the fuzz I am building in black leather, then I am going to the a leather store nearby and have the lettering emossed.

I tried to make an NPN fuzz face but adding true bypass and a led, I thought I'd be able to figure it out but no such luck.

The pedal did not work and then our baby arrived so I have not had the chance to troubleshoot...the bypass switch works but that's all.

I need a fuzz face schematic, well a drawing telling me exactly what goes where.

Archived