Gibson Brands Forums

45 Years Ago Today

MrNylon

45 years ago today, Sgt. Pepper taught us all to play. June 1st, marks the 45th anniversary of the record album that reconfigured recording. June 1, 1967 the release of, The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

It really turned out to be "A Day in the Life".

It really turned out to be "A Day in the Life".

The studios were certainly Getting Better at mastering the process. Being, as it were, For the Benefit of Mr., well, everyone in the music business, really. Apparently they recorded it With a Little Help from their Friends. In hindsight it certainly turned out to be a Good Morning the day it was released. I suspect I will still be enjoying the music on that album When I'm Sixty-four.

P.

The studios were certainly Getting Better at mastering the process. Being, as it were, For the Benefit of Mr., well, everyone in the music business, really. Apparently they recorded it With a Little Help from their Friends. In hindsight it certainly turned out to be a Good Morning the day it was released. I suspect I will still be enjoying the music on that album When I'm Sixty-four.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztoSUhbNntQ

P.

Hmmm......No need for me to post in this thread....Pippy covered it for me....[flapper][blink][smile] ......Great album....Best ever maybe ???

I just passed my copy of Pepper on to my oldest son who at 29 has discovered vinyl. His wife bought him a turntable for Christmas and lately him and I go out on weekends and scour the used record shops. I advise him on what albums are worth buying and which suck. Some of them even still have the old posters inside.

Although through the years Peppers has been slammed quite a bit and to some degree I understand why. Certainly the songwriting is better on Rubber Soul and Revolver, more diverse on the White Album and production wise more advanced on Abbey Road. In the end it is what it is with the "band" still a band working together towards a common goal.

It was at the time the most revered rock/pop album ever released and it seemed to in some way capture what everyone was going through. Love, loss, alienation, drugs etc.were all subjects the record buying public could relate to.

Just think if Strawberry fields and Penny Lane had been included as was the original plan.......Wow.msp_thumbup.gif

I still have my copy of Sgt. Peppers on vinyl with all the cut-outs etc. in mint uncut condition,the same goes for my White Album,Let It Be and George's All Things Must Pass.I'd like to know what all that stuff is worth now,not that I'd ever sell it.

BTW Sgt. Peppers was released on a Friday I believe,but anyway the next night Jimi Hendrix was playing at the Bag O' Nails or some other popular London club and with the Beatles sitting at a table off in some secluded corner of the club,Jimi played a rollicking cover of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.He did such a fine job that he left everyone-including The Beatles-in complete awe because the album had been out for just over 24 hours.

I believe that , that album will be remembered for a long time. Not like 45 years long time, which in pop music is an eternity, but like the way we remember Mozart and the likes now. It will be reffered to in that manner. Only way to tell is to get the Mr. Pea Body time machine, and your pet boy sherman, but I am certain it will, and the rest of the library, will be played, and redone for a very very long time. 100 years from now, you can probably catch it as the back ground music for the modern day Master piece theatre. Or something like that.

Archived