Gibson Brands Forums

$1500 too low for used R8 Plaintop VOS

Work in Progress

I saw a dealer's Craigslist ad for a R8 Les Paul VOS for $1500 and the pictures of the body look good (he didn't include neck/headstock photos). A quick Ebay search makes me think that $1500 seems to be quite low for an R8 VOS. Can anyone fill me in on the going 'Used' rate in their personal experiences?

I can't speak from a vast quantity of Historic trading experience but earlier this year I paid $2300 at a dealers for a 2006 R8 VOS that had been refinished by RS Guitarworks as a goldtop. $1500 sounds like a bonus price if it's for real.

Sounds low to me. 2400 to 2800 would be about right unless there were some "issues" with it.

agreed......used around 2500 to 3000 should be accurate.....unless it's a pissed off ex-wife selling it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

If the add does NOT show the headstock, only the body, that tells me that it most likely isn't a Gibson at all.

I don't know why ANYONE would have an ad for any guitar with pics, and not show the whole guitar.

I would also suspect a "dealer" to either not behave that way, or realize what it might be worth, or both.

Something tells me this is NOT a dealer, and if it isn't, why say it is?

Before you even get to considering the price, I would want something to make me think it isn't a scam in the first place. Scammers scam at all price levels.

Archived