Gibson Brands Forums

John Lee Hooker Video Treat #1

BluesKing777

Yes! That is some REAL stuff! Have not seen or heard that version before. The last verse is really interesting. The guitar looks EPI-ish to me. Not sure what model. Looks like mini-humbucker...but hard to tell from the video quality.

Just loved the finger work. What a unique guy [thumbup]

BK777, I want to thank you for erasing several hours of my remaining life. <_< Once I watched the link it led to another, and another, and ... And don't get started on Buddy Guy. Seriously, thank you for leading me to "hours lost." I thoroughly enjoyed it. And now the daughter? I did not know.

The guitar he's playing in the first clip is quite consistent with the specs for a '60s Epiphone Sorrento, except for the small block fingerboard inlays. Mini-humbucker Sorrentos had dots in earlier years & later had large oval inlays. As for the music, my first exposure to JLH was via the Animals cover of Boom Boom in the mid-60s, which got played frequently on the turntable. Thanks to all for sharing these interesting links!

BK777, I want to thank you for erasing several hours of my remaining life. <_< Once I watched the link it led to another, and another, and ... And don't get started on Buddy Guy. Seriously, thank you for leading me to "hours lost." I thoroughly enjoyed it. And now the daughter? I did not know.

Well, you could be about to go along another John Lee Hooker journey because here is link to his son and his band as backup to JLH live at Soledad Prison approx 1972. See if you can find the rest of the concert, which includes a band version of the above 'Serve Me Right To Suffer'.

The next track which I cannot get to work on YouTube for some reason is where JLH comes in - worth trying to find the recording.

A guitarist I knew many years ago gave me a tape of the concert saying he didn't like it much but thought I would because I liked that blues stuff! Well, I wore out that tape.....

BluesKing777.

Well, you could be about to go along another John Lee Hooker journey because here is link to his son and his band as backup to JLH live at Soledad Prison approx 1972. See if you can find the rest of the concert, which includes a band version of the above 'Serve Me Right To Suffer'.

I give up, it's too much fun. "Gas up the car Ethel, we're on the road again."

Archived