Gibson Brands Forums

My Gibson Divorced Elixers

JohnnyReb

As a long time Elixer nanowebs user I finally kicked them to the curb. Well, my Advanced Jumbo did. I've always had good luck with them and felt they had excellent tone on most guitars. I've heard all the horror stories from guys who claim their tone less and take away from a guitar, but I never agreed with that much.

So the other day I put some plain Jane Martin 80/20s on my advanced jumbo and wow! Where did all those overtones and sustain come from??? The Elixers always had a bright crisp tone on it but somewhere inside was those rosewood overtones I'd been missing. I'm 7 months now into my first Gibson ownership and I'm really starting to realize how sensitive my guitar is to different things and changes. This change seems to be for the better. It being a Gibson I expected a much drier tone with less overtone and sustain that my previous Martin lineup. But now I've figured out that the Elixers were choking the guitar out and those beautifull rosewood qualities are there loud and clear. Kinda hate to leave elixer though, they been good to me. But it seems gospel truth in this situation that Elixers are wrobbing tone from my guitar

Now since plain Jane 80/20s work so well , gonna have to try the John Pearce 80/20

Yep, my exact experience with the rosewood Songwriter.

Almost sold it as the PB's made teh guitar too dull, Elixirs while holding sparkle sucked the tone of the guitar and then bingo with 80/20's, rich, deep tone, plenty of sparkle and note seperation.

In other words, I hear ya brother !

I used to use elixers all the time, but about a year ago, I started trying different brand, kind and size of strings and found my guitars sound much better than they used to

just put a set of RED brand, copper bronze strings on my J-45 and think they sound great

red_brand_bluegrass_string.jpg

I used to like Elixir Nanowebs on my old SJ200, as the tone was mellow from the get-go rather than after a couple of days' playing.

However, they sound atrocious on my AJ, really horrible...I can't really explain how, but the guitar goes from sounding like a smoking gun to sounding like limp lettuce when I put a set of Elixirs on it.

Those Martin 80/20s are my secret weapon-everyone overlooks 'em because they're everywhere, but they're fantastic. I use them pretty much exclusively-12s on my AJ and both my Takamines, and 13s on my Epi EJ200.

Great sounding, long lasting, easy to find and cheap to buy strings-who could ask for much more than that?

The choice of strings is just like our choices on guitars. We all hear and like different things. Several of my picker contemporaries use Elixers, but I've never warmed to them. Too slick for me when they're new and a bit on the too expensive side. That said, I'll hear someone else's guitar and think it sounds real good, and the gal is playing Elixers on it and says she's never noticed them being slick...lol...Go figure. I suspect that over the years I've become pretty bias in my view, because I haven't bought a set of them for ten years, at least. So, if they've changed for the better (for my ears, fingers) I wouldn't know. I pretty much use Martin and Gibson strings on all my guitars. Every once-in-a-while I'll pick-up some odd ball strings just because they're real cheap. Some are good, some are pretty poor sounding. Worst brand I think I've ever found had Takamine on them. Don't know who made them for Tak, but they didn't match-up to the quality that Tak can put in their guitars. No sound to them. I had three sets and gave the other two away. Anyway, it's interesting how we can all hear and see the same things, yet we usually hear and see them differntly. I think my guitars sound real good. No telling how good they might sound if I were more particular about the strings....Maybe someday I'll try a set of Elixers again. [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a new Songwriter owner and I've heard that they are very choosy about which strings make them sound best. The consensus seems to be 80/20's are best. I've always been an Elixir fan (I once tried a very expensive alternative coated brand which sounded awful and I can't remember the name of) and notice that they make an 80/20 bronze string. Do these not suit the Songwriter? Is it something to do with the coating that chokes the tone/sound? I agree that Elixir PB's can be a bit on the bright side but was wondering if the bronzes were the same? Also, can anyone tell me what OE strings the Songwriter ships with as they sound great to me?

I think they now ship them with EXP 80/20's coated. Its what I have now on my SWD and it sounds great but starting to lose some of the percussive thump on the low E so I migth change them soon.

I'm a new Songwriter owner and I've heard that they are very choosy about which strings make them sound best. The consensus seems to be 80/20's are best. I've always been an Elixir fan (I once tried a very expensive alternative coated brand which sounded awful and I can't remember the name of) and notice that they make an 80/20 bronze string. Do these not suit the Songwriter? Is it something to do with the coating that chokes the tone/sound? I agree that Elixir PB's can be a bit on the bright side but was wondering if the bronzes were the same? Also, can anyone tell me what OE strings the Songwriter ships with as they sound great to me?

I use John Pearse PBs and 80/20s on all my guitars. For my money, I find these are the best strings with the most adaptable tonality, resonance and sustain. I like them equally on Gibsons, martins and any other brands - especially guitars with brighter back and side woods like maple, Koa or sapele.

I encourage every guitar owner to try a pack.

I'm a long term Martin SP user - PB 12 s. this weekend I found a set of Elixir Nanos and restrung my Songwriter for the first time in around 4 or 5 months. I love the balanced and full tone of the worn Martins. However I'm really enjoying the instant sparkle gratification of the Elixirs especially when strummed with "a bit of welly!". My finger picking is shockingly agricultural. Gigging this weekend through a decent pa so I maybe persuaded otherwise in due course. Must try the John Pearces soon.

I have noticed EXP & Elixers to be slick & I very much like that. Even my wife calls them the slippery strings (EXP.. Previous Version)

On my electrics I always used Gibson Nickle Plated Steel strings and always spray on to a cotton t shirt pledge which I get undernieth the strings(only the strings only electrics) to clean grime & it has that same slightly slippy feel.

When I switched from D'Addarrio EXP Ph.Bronze to Elixer Nano Ph.Bronze...I noticed the strings felt more flexible

& especially.. the backs of the guitars started to vibrate. You really can feel the back rumble on the bass notes. I like em.

To get more of a naked string sound Elixer should offer a non coated string..cause the strings are really good.

I havent tried John Pearse Strings but I have a feeling Id like those

Interesting .. my experience with EXP's and Elxirs has been exactly the opposite. Elxirs slippery and tight, EXP's rougher and looser ..

I have noticed EXP & Elixers to be slick & I very much like that. Even my wife calls them the slippery strings (EXP.. Previous Version)

On my electrics I always used Gibson Nickle Plated Steel strings and always spray on to a cotton t shirt pledge which I get undernieth the strings(only the strings only electrics) to clean grime & it has that same slightly slippy feel.

When I switched from D'Addarrio EXP Ph.Bronze to Elixer Nano Ph.Bronze...I noticed the strings felt more flexible

& especially.. the backs of the guitars started to vibrate. You really can feel the back rumble on the bass notes. I like em.

To get more of a naked string sound Elixer should offer a non coated string..cause the strings are really good.

I havent tried John Pearse Strings but I have a feeling Id like those

Interesting .. my experience with EXP's and Elxirs has been exactly the opposite. Elxirs slippery and tight, EXP's rougher and looser ..

I haven't tried the "improved ' EXP as they changed them 3 years ago( I think to a thinner coating).

When I replaced the factory elixers on the Lowden to EXP it really was an obvious down.

It probably depends on many things but later I read that the Hex center that D'Addarrio uses results in more string tension..though I would have thought the opposite being less metal.

Sometimes I wonder if the only reason i feel one companys string is less stiff than another comparable guaged one is that though pkg says .012 its really an .011 .. etc

I haven't tried the "improved ' EXP as they changed them 3 years ago( I think to a thinner coating).

When I replaced the factory elixers on the Lowden to EXP it really was an obvious down.

It probably depends on many things but later I read that the Hex center that D'Addarrio uses results in more string tension..though I would have thought the opposite being less metal.

Sometimes I wonder if the only reason i feel one companys string is less stiff than another comparable guaged one is that though pkg says .012 its really an .011 .. etc

Generally, I believe hex-core strings are stiffer and require more tension to tune to pitch because the winding binds to the "corners" of the hex core, mechanically locking the two components of the string together. If you cut a hex core string, the winding does not separate from the core the way it can with a round core. That's why it is recommended that you not cut round core strings to length until the string is tuned up.

I'm using DR Sunbeam mediums on my J-45 now. For the same string gauge--actually, the low E is heavier at .054--the wound strings are noticeably more flexible than the MB Premium lights I normally use on this guitar. I'm becoming a round core convert, at least for this J-45.

Archived