Gibson Brands Forums

come on bob !!

blindboygrunt

pre order tempest by mr dylan and get a bob dylan harp and poster !!!

how feckin generous !!

do the maths

some folk must just have too much money

Yeah, got my pre-order e-mail this morning - expensive harmonica - $100 for the harp & CD - $120 for the harp & vinyl LP - plus the little poster...

bobdylan.com 'Exclusives'!

Sounds like a nice set to wake up to.

What kind of harp is it (a Marine Band), , , and is it in B or D.

One last detail : How is the album ?

The album doesn't come out until September - they're taking pre-orders over on Bob's official site for the bundles - the harmonica is a Hohner Bob Dylan Signature Series Model in the key of C...

Here's a photo of the harp...

hohnerdylan.jpg

Yes c'mon everybody - bring your C-harps to the next Dylan concert for a little blow in the wind. Now that would be something.

I remember having my G with me to an acoustic early 90's Crosby Stills Nash gig.

At some point when seeing them playing in G I discretely chimed in.

Here's a photo of the harp...

Nice again. He prefered Marine Band Hohners for a long time. That model might have been the blue print for the one above.

My first 2 harps was bought many years ago in Soho London - C and G.

Only a big kid I asked the shop-keeper if the H-brand was any good.

He looked at me with a lightning in his eyes and said : Dylan plays them. . . .

Nice again. He prefered Marine Band Hohners for a long time. That model might have been the blue print for the one above.

My first 2 harps was bought many years ago in Soho London - C and G.

Only a big kid I asked the shop-keeper if the H-brand was any good.

He looked at me with a lightning in his eyes and said : Dylan plays them. . . .

I don't really play harmonica much - just fool around with them some on things like Dylan and Neil Young songs...

I first picked up a Marine Band back in the '70s because they were supposed to be THE harmonica - later I added a Hohner Blues Harp and a few others in different keys...

Couldn't be sicker of Dylan if I tried, with the constant attempts to change and find a singing voice and that God-awful harp playing. He may not be the most irritating harmonica player, that would be John Popper, but he is the absolute worst. He might even have admitted as much. But...he does have a catalog of songs that include more than a few masterpieces. If you'd like to try a nice harmonica, try the Seydel low-tuned harps for $35 or so. $60 for the growly low in the key of A. Getting away from those screechy Hohner Marine Band and Blues Harps will rekindle your love for the old mouth organ.

hehehehe

one of my favorouite clips of Bob is Scorcese film where he has takes of the original 60's fil and ppl shouting out Judas..ect then northern fellows interviewed outside the gig saying his harmonica tottaly spoils it for them

then Scorsese cuts to Bob playing Like a Rolling Stone..and playing harp for maybe 2 or three minutes at the end...like NOTHING you ever heard...its not music..its something else..haha

seems like some people just dont get it..then or 50 years later.. I love him

hehehehe

one of my favorouite clips of Bob is Scorcese film where he has takes of the original 60's fil and ppl shouting out Judas..ect then northern fellows interviewed outside the gig saying his harmonica tottaly spoils it for them

then Scorsese cuts to Bob playing Like a Rolling Stone..and playing harp for maybe 2 or three minutes at the end...like NOTHING you ever heard...its not music..its something else..haha

seems like some people just dont get it..then or 50 years later.. I love him

liked that part myself , you're right the harmonica playing is way off the scale , its not the tune , its the intensity that comes across , probably 99% amphetamine , but its very cool :-)

the sneer

he knows fine well and does it to annoy people , no doubt

Spot on BBG

its more than annoying peole though..it's like ..." **** you...LISTEN" and he aint foolin

Allen ginsberg talked about watching Bob play in those days..and his never ending breath..all those lyrics and harp playing just pouring out..

anyone try and follow his breathing from those days.. he was'nt trying........ he was just acting as a vessle for a higher force

Sufi singers train all their lives to do this..he didn't even contemplate what he was doing...he was just doing it.... man ..good owld Aurgy.... never be another like him

x

Interesting, it's also one of the main attractions of Dylan for me and something so evident when you see the endless covers out there, the sheer force of breath between long lyrical passages and the flip to Harmonica sections. Lungs of steel. Very commendable.

Technical skill and passion often walk arm in arm in the arts, sometimes one to hold the other up. My first exposure to Bob was in '65 at age 13 when my older sister came home with Dylan's first. My father, a great sax player who got to hang around Harlem listening to Billie Holliday, and trade playing tips and reeds with Charlie Parker, rolled his eyes when the needle hit the vinyl. She also had her first guitar, a Dylan songbook and a Baez one too. Two years later her boyfriend replaced these and 'yours truly' inherited the package. I learned many of the Dylan songs, and in a way, got my wings. My appreciation for Bob runs long and deep.

As for harp playing, once I saw John Hammond, Charlie Musselwhite, and Stevie Wonder, my ears became forever 'spoiled'.

Jedzep, funny you mention Stevie Wonder. My favorite is still Fingertips, owing not a little to the harmonica.

Yep...a virtuoso is Little Stevie. I think he was already playing a chromatic as a kid. When I saw him, probably in the early 70's at the release of 'Innervisions', he was led on stage in full African robage and sat down at the drums. He began the song 'Higher Ground', and once he got the beat going his drummer slid in behind him w/o missing a beat, Stevie was handed a bass and laid down a heavy bass line. The bass player walked on and picked up the song as Stevie moved over to the electric piano while the full band filtered in. What a freekin' explosion of soul perfection!

Ahhh...the good ol' days.

I'm reminded of another Dylan memory. I live up in hillbilly country and it was a big deal when Bob toured 'minor league' ballparks several years ago with Willie Nelson. They started the tour at the so-called birthplace of baseball, 'Doubleday Field' here in Cooperstown. Willie opened and when Dylan got on stage probably a third of the crowd filtered out. I stood amazed...two legends but a crowd with definite preferences.

Archived