Gibson Brands Forums

found in closet

tennesseejames

Don't need the serial number... it's a Melody Maker, made in 1965...or so. '62-'64 had smaller horns and in '66 they went to an SG shape.

I tried that gibson serial number search and this is what came back Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Kalamazoo Plant, USA

approximately in: 1953

So than I went and googled the phrase "when was the first gibson melody maker produced?" and it was 1959.

So Im gonna say late 50's early 60's.

I needed to know because i was thinking of putting it on ebay.

post-46035-009656600 1344003707_thumb.jpgI can not figure out this pre 70s serial number.

I tried that gibson serial number search and this is what came back Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Kalamazoo Plant, USA

approximately in: 1953

So than I went and googled the phrase "when was the first gibson melody maker produced?" and it was 1959.

So Im gonna say late 50's early 60's.

I needed to know because i was thinking of putting it on ebay.

Don't need the serial number... it's a Melody Maker, made in 1965...or so. '62-'64 had smaller horns and in '66 they went to an SG shape.

Actually, mine is a '64, made in late September or early October, and it has the larger horns.

Im gonna say late 50's early 60's.

If you do you will be misrepresenting this guitar.

KSDaddy has not only accurately answered your question above, he has told you how and why he comes to that conclusion. This is how research is done. I will also concur with this information as the serial number DOES come up from 1965 in two of my independent research sources. In fact, if you fill in ALL the blanks, The Guitar Dater Project even got this one right.

You can continue to look and hope for a "better" answer, but there is only one "correct" answer.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived