Gibson Brands Forums

Best use for Advanced Jumbo

rbpicker

I just picked up a used AJ (2009), and really like the sound and playability. I also have a great old '62 J45, which is my main guitar. I am having trouble getting comfortable with the kinds of songs I can/will play on the AJ. I do mostly folk, singer/songwriter stuff along with some light rock now and then. what are all of you playing on your AJ?

Thanks

I just picked up a used AJ (2009), and really like the sound and playability. I also have a great old '62 J45, which is my main guitar. I am having trouble getting comfortable with the kinds of songs I can/will play on the AJ. I do mostly folk, singer/songwriter stuff along with some light rock now and then. what are all of you playing on your AJ?

Thanks

Any song, every song, you just need to play it accordingly. ;)

Don't have an AJ yet (it's next on my list), but I'll use it for whatever kind of music I'm playing at the time. I've got a Hummingbird, J45, and a J150. Use them all for my folk music, train songs, rock & roll, blues, whatever is being played. I've even used each of them in church (and they say Taylors are supposed to be the best for "Praise" music...least that's what "they" say). Don't get caught-up in all this stuff about this guitar is best for rock, this one is best for folk, and so on. If you have a guitar that fits you physically and you enjoy playing it, you'll have a blast playing whatever you like. You can even play whatever you like with whatever guitar you happen to have, and even if you don't like the guitar and everyone else is playing a Taylor 814, or a Martin D35, or a Gibson Dove, or a cheap Rouge........My experience from playing several and hearing many AJs over the years is that they have a powerful bass and ringing meds and highs. Yet, they are also perfect for Puff, Don't Think Twice, Four Strong Winds, and a million other songs. Have a blast with it. It's made for whatever you want to play. [thumbup]

One of my all time favorites made great use of an AJ — I've found few singer/songwriters to be anywhere near as entertaining as Peter Himmelman. One never knew what he was going to do next. I caught him many times in the 90's and never left a show feeling like I didn't get my money's worth. A true master of improv.

Warning: last minute Martin content inserted in the 2nd clip due to a guitar emergency

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AkKIxhA6Mk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo9XiOgE12k

I'm a folky singer/songwriter and an all-rounder session musician on the side. A musical dogsbody, so to speak. Once you know how to stroke it, an AJ is an incredible do-it-all instrument which will cover 99% of bases. Great choice! Love mine.

First of all I think 80/20s on a AJ are a must.

My AJ replaced my Martins as a bluegrass guitar. It flatpicks with strong projection and note separation and has tons of volume. Rythem is strong and loud for bluegrass, but lacks some bass the Martins had. Most people think a Gibson doesn't do well in bluegrass, but the AJ is a monster bluegrass guitar IMO and Randy Scruggs would agree [thumbup]

I think the AJ does very well with all traditional type music though. I play some bluesy stuff on it, and use it to sing old Hank Williams tunes.

As far as the other stuff, soft rock ect......I wouldn't know much about that.

JohnnyReb is absolutely right about 80/20s. The AJ is particular about strings, moreso than any other guitar I've owned. Bog standard Martin 80/20 12-54s make mine sing like no other string...I tried a ton, but those Martins really work well.

The AJ was my only decent guitar for about 15 years so I agree with those who say it is a good all arounder once you adapt it to the song. I've never liked 80/20 on mine but to each his own. It is a great banjo slayer should you do some bluegrass. Lately I've been learning some irish fiddle tunes and the bright highs make it wonderful for those.

Enjoy your AJ, you'll find a lot of fans here. Congrats.

I tried some Martin SP 80/20 lights and thought they sounded very good... somewhat bright for my tastes, but fingerpicked, very good. Then I got some DR Sunbeams and these sound exceptionally good on the AJ. May be just the ticket for folks who want to tone it down just a little. Not so "in you face" sound.

Are others using lights on their AJs?

RB

I tried some Martin SP 80/20 lights and thought they sounded very good... somewhat bright for my tastes, but fingerpicked, very good. Then I got some DR Sunbeams and these sound exceptionally good on the AJ. May be just the ticket for folks who want to tone it down just a little. Not so "in you face" sound.

Are others using lights on their AJs?

RB

I've never used lights on mine. I enjoy the loud , in your face attitude of the AJ so mediums are my thing. I found that using a thinner pick will tame it down some instead of using lighter strings. However I'm not above trying a set of lights sometime just to see. I thought since the AJ is built so lightly that maybe lights wouldn't take away much. But I think you just answered my question by stating it toned it down a little.

The AJ is the muscle car of the Gibson lineup, I want all the Horsepower I can get. [thumbup]

Archived