Gibson Brands Forums

2013 Gibson Homecoming

guitarstrummer

Some bring them on the plane with them and some leave them at home. We usually have lots of extras for people to play. I've also known some who have contacted Music Villa in advance and arranged to ship them to their store ahead of time and then ship them home afterwards. You'd have to check with them to see if they'd be willing to do that. It could also be a bit costly.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder if the airlines made those who brought them on board check them as luggage or were o.k. to bring on as carry on?

Each airline has it's own policy on this issue. Best to contact them and then expect just the opposite of what you have been told when you get to the airport. I have been able to carry on at the first leg of a flight only to be stopped at the connecting flight by the same airline.

I would just go to my local music store and get a shipping box and then UPS your guitar to your hotel in Bozeman. I know a bunch of folks will cringe at this idea as there are horror stories out there about shipping with commercial carriers. Just remember that Gibson ships their guitars to the dealers by UPS. The whole idea behind the Homecoming is to bring your guitar back to the place it was born and to share with folks with common likes.

I hope you will come to the Homecoming. You will meet a bunch of very nice folks and you will see a lot of wonderful things. There are a lot of really fun side trips to take as well. One of the popular day trips is a visit to the "Little Big Horn". There is also a nice day trip to the Lewis and Clark Caverns as well as the scheduled trips to Yellowstone and Virginia City. I guess the lesson here is there is a lot to do and a bunch of folks that will be taking advantage of the area so all you need to do is start asking and you will find plenty of folks that are looking to share rides and expenses. It's very casual.

• 4 weeks later...

John Thomas (JT), author of the new book, “Kalamazoo Gals: A Story of Extraordinary Women and Gibson's 'Banner' Guitars of WWII” will be attending the Homecoming and will be making a presentation at Music Villa during Gibson Day on Saturday.

We still have space available if anyone else wants to attend. I'll be taking reservations until May 10th.

John Thomas (JT), author of the new book, “Kalamazoo Gals: A Story of Extraordinary Women and Gibson's 'Banner' Guitars of WWII” will be attending the Homecoming and will be making a presentation at Music Villa during Gibson Day on Saturday.

We still have space available if anyone else wants to attend. I'll be taking reservations until May 10th.

That's great news, Mike. It'll be fun to hear straight from the author about some of the details around the Banner guitars.

But if he asks you to pull his finger, make sure that you DON'T! [unsure]

Fred

I'm thrilled to be part of the Homecoming and really looking forward to all of the activities and to meeting folks. I'll be bringing my went-to-the-war 1943 SJ and will be demanding that everyone play it.

Oh, and I'll be wearing gloves most of the time to prevent Fred/J1854me from pulling my fingers.

A Gibson tour bus will also be at the Homecoming again this year. Last year we were able to ride the bus to some of our events. You wouldn't believe the things they have in the bus, including a grand piano, juke box, and guitars autographed by famous guitarists.

A Gibson tour bus will also be at the Homecoming again this year. Last year we were able to ride the bus to some of our events. You wouldn't believe the things they have in the bus, including a grand piano, juke box, and guitars autographed by famous guitarists.

Mike, those will be my wheels down to the Museum of Idaho, too.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

I'm thrilled that I'll be able to attend the Homecoming this year. Thanks for all you've done over the years.

Now, you, Amy, and I need to work on our Open Mic tunes!

I'm wondering who will have the first John Mayer sighting? He just moved to Bozeman and I understand he's been seen around town.

He did move out here a year or so ago.He actually lives in a little place called Pine Creek. It's about 15 miles south of Livingston.

I saw him in the Murray Hotel Bar in Livingston a couple of weeks ago. He was with his girlfriend Katy Perry. They were pretty low key. No one bothered them so they were having a great time. The band playing asked if he would sit it but he declined and nothing more was said. I didn't know who his girl was as she was in jeans and a shirt and no make-up. The bartender knew them as they can be found there a bunch when they aren't touring. Small town for sure.

Archived