Gibson Brands Forums

2013 Gibson Homecoming

guitarstrummer

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike,

I'm thrilled that I'll be able to attend the Homecoming this year. Thanks for all you've done over the years.

Now, you, Amy, and I need to work on our Open Mic tunes!

You're most welcome. Working on the song Amy picked out now. We're also thrilled to have you attend. Looking forward to meeting you and hearing your presentation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Long range forecast for Bozeman shows average daytime 75, nightime 45, and like any Rocky Mountain town, chance of afternoon thunderstorms. Here in Colorado our thunderstorms range from 20 to 45 minutes. See ya'll in a week or so.

Long range forecast for Bozeman shows average daytime 75, nightime 45, and like any Rocky Mountain town, chance of afternoon thunderstorms. Here in Colorado our thunderstorms range from 20 to 45 minutes. See ya'll in a week or so.

Drive safely Dan. You might want to check a road report before you leave. They've closed the highway around Little Bighorn a couple other years when they've had a lot of rain. They detour you at Sheridan.

The 2013 Gibson Homecoming has begun. I will try to make posts to update everyone, as time permits. If any of the other Homecoming attendees would also like to make update posts, please feel free but let's try to keep them all on this thread so that we can easily find all of them at a later date, if needed.

Most of the attendees arrived earlier in the week, spending the extra time to visit the many sights in and around Montana, such as the Museum of the Rockies and Planetarium, Yellowstone National Park, Virginia City, and Little Bighorn. The Gibson tour bus also arrived yesterday.

We had a Meet and Greet in Rar's suite last evening with most everyone attending. Ren Ferguson, Val Bolitho,Jeremy Morton, and Bill Gonder were also in attendance. We spent the evening getting to know each other, showing off guitars, and even playing a few tunes. It was amazing to see so many people from every corner of the United States, most having not much in common, other than their love of Gibson acoustic guitars.

We have a full day scheduled for today, beginning with a clinic by Tony Polecastro, followed by a greeting and question/answer period with people from Gibson. This afternoon we'll be headed out to tour Kevin Kopp's guitar building shop, followed by a tour of Peach Street recording studios. We'll then board the Gibson tour bus and go to dinner, followed by a private concert at Music Villa by The Petty Band. Any time remaining after that will be spent playing guitars.

Playing JT's WWII veteran SJ at a song circle jam last night. This guitar is as light as anything I've ever held. Thanks for passing her around. What a delightful group of affecian affish fans this is.

BZ6_zpse5db7f6b.jpg

Dan, the deal was that I'd let eveyone play my guitar if you'd let everyone wear your hat. I held up my end of the bargain.

It's been a real pleasure to meet you!

Playing JT's WWII veteran SJ at a song circle jam last night. This guitar is as light as anything I've ever held. Thanks for passing her around. What a delightful group of affecian affish fans this is.

BZ6_zpse5db7f6b.jpg

Dan ,

Nice picture !!!

I pressed the -1 button by accident ( I really wanted to press the +1 button) so if someone would be kind enough to vote this picture up and fix my mistake I would be greatful . glad you are enjoying yourself !

JC

JT ,

You sure are getting around .

Have a ball !

Guitarstrummer,

Could you possibly ask around the Gibson folks about an employee from at least 20 years ago by the name of Mike Moog, or maybe Moos, ...Mooz ,or maybe Moon .....?

He signed the top of my 100th Anniversary , Bozeman Limited Advanced Jumbo . They only built Three (3) of these. I have #1 and I recently talked with the owner of #2 on a forum. He said Ren had signed his .

Possibly , he is still working there . I have owned the guitar since new when it was recommended that I should try it by Gary Burnette. Gary was right.

I would greatly appreciate any and all information you could discover.

Who is Mike ?

What was his position ?

Have a great time at the Homecoming and we are all watching for your reports on the fun you are all having up there .

Billy

JT ,

You sure are getting around .

Have a ball !

Guitarstrummer,

Could you possibly ask around the Gibson folks about an employee from at least 20 years ago by the name of Mike Moog, or maybe Moos, ...Mooz ,or maybe Moon .....?

He signed the top of my 100th Anniversary , Bozeman Limited Advanced Jumbo . They only built Three (3) of these. I have #1 and I recently talked with the owner of #2 on a forum. He said Ren had signed his .

Possibly , he is still working there . I have owned the guitar since new when it was recommended that I should try it by Gary Burnette. Gary was right.

I would greatly appreciate any and all information you could discover.

Who is Mike ?

What was his position ?

Have a great time at the Homecoming and we are all watching for your reports on the fun you are all having up there .

Billy

The guy is Mike Moss. Mike was one of the very early guitar builders and he was working in the body build dept of the plant. Mike left Gibson and went to work for Dana Bourgeois. He moved back to Bozeman and I haven't seen him for several years so he might have moved again.

Had a very full day yesterday including a clinic by Tony Polecastro in Gibson guitar bracing and comparisons, a question/answer session with the GM and others from Gibson Acoustic, a tour of Kevin Kopp's guitar building shop, and a personal tour of Peach Street recording Studio by Grammy winner, Doc Wiley. The day was highlighted by a ride in the Gibson tour bus to the Montana Ale Works where we enjoyed a great supper and even better conversation. After supper we were treated to a private concert at Music Villa by The Petty Band before boarding the Gibson bus for the trip back to the Gran Tree. The bus was complete with a grand piano, juke box, and bar.

We woke up this morning to a pouring rain, in fact it's been raining a lot in Bozeman this year. We met at Gibson where we took a group photo and were then given a tour of the Gibson factory.

The rest of the day includes a tour of Waverly Manufacturing and the Bozeman Brewing Company. We'll have our first open mic tonight.

By the way. I'm sure that I'm speaking for the entire group by saying that we'd all like to see JT wearing Dan's hat! LOL

BZ6_zpse5db7f6b.jpg

Isn't that a great guitar, Dan? I love that guitar!!

But his old beat-up Nick Lucas is a great one too.... and his OTHER SJ........... and that J-45........

...and then there's that L-C Century......... [biggrin]

Fred

Ya, the rain thing. Bozeman needs it and we are all feeling badly for the folks in Colorado.The fires down there are terrible. Mike is right,it has been pretty wet and some of the people not familiar with life in the Montana were surprised when the clouds lifted and there was fresh snow on the mountains and foothills.

This just might be one of the best Homecomings yet. I'm pretty sure there will be another next year as Mike is talking to the hotel concerning reservations so start making plans.

I have been enjoying this year's homecoming vicariously. Keep reporting on the proceedings and your insights, participants! As I have once or twice previously when unable to attend, I am submitting my open mic entry, recorded just now, via youtube. Since it's raining there in Bozeman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M08qY4OLZKo

Nice, Jerry!

When'd you get that Nick Lucas? How about some details on that one?

Fred

Archived