Gibson Brands Forums

HEAR-YE, HEAR-YE, the way all should be.

Wilshire

But.....they add the ability to tailor the sound for different songs, using the same guitar.

You don't want the same tone or sound for every song, do you?

Or have to buy a different guitar for every sound you might want?

True, some of this can be accomplished with amp settings, but having to go to the amp for every setting would be tiresome at best. Or, have to buy a different amp for each sound?

Or if the room robs trebles because of plush chairs and draperies, what then?

Too many reasons to HAVE the extra control.

PICK-UPS TO SELECTOR SWITCH.

SELECTOR SWITCH TO VOLUME CONTROL.

VOLUME CONTROL TO OUTPUT JACK.

NOTHING ELSE.

TONE CONTROLS AND MULTIPLE VOLUME CONTROLS ROB TONE AND VOLUME.

RE-WIRE AND BE HAPPY!

No thanks.

• 1 month later...

I have a tone control on my guitar that has a "Straight Through" setting. When you turn it to ten, there is a detent that means you have reached the point where the tone control is effectively out of the tone loop.

Same thing with more options.

Gordy01 got it right - a no-load tone pot works great and opens up the tone options.

Wilshire you forgot the amp options on tuning your amp for the neck pickup and letting the tone controls on the guitar work the bridge pickup. You closed your tone options to just one sound.

It is always easier to control tone from the guitar than the amp.

Watch a few Jeff Beck vid's until you figure it out.

SINCE I AM THE PAUL REVERE OF THE MINIMIZED/SIMPLIFIED ELECTRIC GUITAR CONTROL CIRCUIT, I HEREBY PROCLAIM THE MODIFICATION TO BE KNOWN AS "REV. G".

NAMED AFTER MYSELF OF COURSE!

LOL! Nobody is saying you're wrong to wire the way you do. It has been done by a few here before, but it is my opinion that it gives away too much to be my option.

LOL! Nobody is saying you're wrong to wire the way you do. It has been done by a few here before, but it is my opinion that it gives away too much to be my option.

Yes, the Squier '51came wired that way from the factory. I personally thought it sounded a little harsh, so I added a cap and fixed resistor to simulate a tone pot turned all the way up.

Ahh...

Another opportunity to explain how tone and volume controls work.

And why my original post is correct.

But alas, just not worth the trouble.

Enjoy the mud fellas.

If you knew how they worked, you would know that most pups were designed to have the loads of the volume and tone pots included to sound the way they were designed to.

I am not saying that taking them out is not a valid thing to do if you want that particular alteration to the sound, but it can't mean it is across-the-board better.

SINCE I AM THE PAUL REVERE OF THE MINIMIZED/SIMPLIFIED ELECTRIC GUITAR CONTROL CIRCUIT, I HEREBY PROCLAIM THE MODIFICATION TO BE KNOWN AS "REV. G".

NAMED AFTER MYSELF OF COURSE!

Of course --- only Gretsch has been putting out Brian Setzer Hot Rod models for years with exactly that set-up. Two pickups, one selector switch, one master volume knob --- that's it.

PICK-UPS TO SELECTOR SWITCH.

SELECTOR SWITCH TO VOLUME CONTROL.

VOLUME CONTROL TO OUTPUT JACK.

NOTHING ELSE.

TONE CONTROLS AND MULTIPLE VOLUME CONTROLS ROB TONE AND VOLUME.

RE-WIRE AND BE HAPPY!

but this makes "Slash tone" impssible :-({|=

There goes "Woman tone"......... [scared]

Goodbye Mr. Clapton.... we knew ye well......[crying]

Seriously, once you grow as a musician you will come to understand why tone control is important.

Archived