Gibson Brands Forums

Cherry Sunburst Les Paul Custom

truetone6

super awesome collection, love your versatility in instrument choice.

the fenders are nice too...

the weird flying v is cool too, i take the weird shape is for ease of playing sitting

Not a Flying V.. its called a Moderne.. Was a fabeled guitar that was made in 1957 and only a few were made.. They then dissapeared until recently :)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Moderne.aspx

Sorry to go off at a tangent, truetone6, but the snap of your Moderne has piqued my curiosity...

Not a Flying V.. its called a Moderne.. Was a fabeled guitar that was made in 1957 and only a few were made.. They then dissapeared until recently...

Has an original '57 ever appeared? I've never heard of it happening but it would be extremely interesting if one - or more - had survived.

I know that there was meant to be at least one displayed at the '58 trade show along side the V and Explorer. The V and Explorer were each patented on Jan 7th 1958 and the documents for both these instruments are reproduced in Gil Hembree's book on Ted McCarty's years as CEO of Gibson. There is no mention of a patent having been sought for the "Mod-Dern" (as McCarty himself called it in the book). What is intriguing, though, is the Patent numbers for these instruments...

The Explorer has the Patent No. 181,865. The 'V' No. 181,867. Could the "Mod-Dern" have been 181,866?

:-k

P.

I´ve read somewhere that the Rev got one of those original Moderne, i don´t know if that´s true but it wouldn´t surprise me at all since he got a gazilion Gits :-)

Is it comfortable to play? I mean in comparison to a V or the other pointy Gibsons, sure looks like it.

Nice collection of Guitars you got there BTW!

Sorry to go off at a tangent, truetone6, but the snap of your Moderne has piqued my curiosity...

Has an original '57 ever appeared? I've never heard of it happening but it would be extremely interesting if one - or more - had survived.

I know that there was meant to be at least one displayed at the '58 trade show along side the V and Explorer. The V and Explorer were each patented on Jan 7th 1958 and the documents for both these instruments are reproduced in Gil Hembree's book on Ted McCarty's years as CEO of Gibson. There is no mention of a patent having been sought for the "Mod-Dern" (as McCarty himself called it in the book). What is intriguing, though, is the Patent numbers for these instruments...

The Explorer has the Patent No. 181,865. The 'V' No. 181,867. Could the "Mod-Dern" have been 181,866?

:-k

P.

YEah its one of those stories that your never quite sure about..

If one did exsist it would sure be worth alot of money..

Archived