Gibson Brands Forums

Cleaning tips Please? And more...

Naradien

Hey guys, I got a new '08 Standard Light burst, and i was wondering, what are some good tips to keep my guitar in shape. On my pickups, I have these wierd finger print like stains, and with a normal cloth, they won't go away. Also, for my body, got any tips on which polish to use? Are toothbrushes good ways to keep my fretboard clean?

On another note, I got these dunlop straplocks dual design, and I was wondering how to put em in. They accidently didn't put the manual in them. I heard you have to take out the previous ones. I'm a bit nervous, because If i really don't want to do any drilling or somehow screw up my guitar. Thanks =D>/

I play bars. I change strings after every 12/16 hours play time. I wipe the guitar with 100% cotton (old socks). Pickups, hardware, ect.

Fretboard gets fingerease overspray, blood, sweat and beer.

Old guitars look cooler than new guitars.

Don't sweat it.

Best of luck.

Murph.

after a while (a really long while) you'll have to run it through a cleaner/polisher to get that shine back and take out swirls/scratches/sweat clouds so use virtuoso (order via internet) or planetwaves express cleaner pack haha i just used it for the first time and it did wonders.

also, wipe down the guitar after you use it, that should help alot. i've also read on the forums that rubber guitar stands eat away at the nitro on your guitar over a long timespan so thats something to think about too i guess.

just use the guitar as it was made to be used! congrats on the new axe

just use the gibby polish whenever you FEEL the dirt on ur guitar' date=' don't be to meticulous[/quote']

+1

However, DONT use polish on the neck of your guitar, if you do you will be posting a "Why is my neck sticky" post. The Gibson pump polish seems to react with sweat causing a sticky feel to the surface of the neck..

Regards

Good Luck

Flight959

However' date=' DONT use polish on the neck of your guitar, if you do you will be posting a "Why is my neck sticky" post. The Gibson pump polish seems to react with sweat causing a sticky feel to the surface of the neck..[/quote']

Actually, if you email Gibson they will tell you the opposite.

If you have a sticky neck they will say Gibson pump polish gets rid of it.

If the fretboard really gets gunked up, and I'm talking years worth, then naphtha and a toothbrush will work. Never use denatured alcohol or rubbing alcohol, they'll leave white marks in the lacquer if it runs off onto the back of the neck.

As for cleaning the occasional smudge that doesn't yield to a cotton or microfiber cloth, there are plenty of pump polishes on the market. I grew up with Martin pump polish which is made by Guardsman. Planet Waves makes a pump polish, too (it smells like cinnamon candy). Get a pack of microfiber cloths in the sandpaper section at Lowe's or Home Depot (I think they also have some cheap ones at Target) and leave one in each guitar case and one on each guitar stand in the house. They're more important for cleaning the strings so they last longer.

Remember if you keep polishing the nickel covers on the pickups you won't get that stripey patina. Tailpiece, too.

It's probably my severe case of OCD, but I wipe every smudge and fingerprint off after each use and polish and condition when I change out the strings (about every other month). I have been using the Gibson care kit, but will be trying the Virtuoso polish when I run out of this stock. And for god sakes don't leave your beautiful guitar(s) on the stand when you aren't using it, the rubber pads will eat into the finish, plus accidents happen and you will be telling us in horrifying detail when it gets knocked over and snaps the headstock off.

Hey guys' date=' I got a new '08 Standard Light burst, and i was wondering, what are some good tips to keep my guitar in shape. On my pickups, I have these wierd finger print like stains, and with a normal cloth, they won't go away. Also, for my body, got any tips on which polish to use? Are toothbrushes good ways to keep my fretboard clean?

On another note, I got these dunlop straplocks dual design, and I was wondering how to put em in. They accidently didn't put the manual in them. I heard you have to take out the previous ones. I'm a bit nervous, because If i really don't want to do any drilling or somehow screw up my guitar. Thanks :-({|=/ [/quote']

didn't you get a booklet with your new guitar that explains all the details of keeping your Gibson in top shape?

If you didn't ....I would be *****en at whoever sold you the guitar about it.

Archived