Gibson Brands Forums

Wow, just found this little gem

Silverbursted

I'm no les paul expert' date=' but isn't that cheap? I mean for such a historical instument? Or do the fender strings reduce it's value that much? =P~ [/quote']

it says gruhn appraised it at 25k-27k ish...so that is the gospel. but it does seem like it would bring more. i think i saw a 56' on ebay several months back for 35k buyout

I'm no les paul expert' date=' but isn't that cheap? I mean for such a historical instument? Or do the fender strings reduce it's value that much? O:) [/quote']

The trapeze bridge Goldtops actually bring less money than the stop tailpiece ones. The trapeze setup had issues that made them a little less playable as an instrument. It's still a first generation Les Paul so that's why they still fetch big bucks, but as far as a vintage instrument for playing, the '54 to '56 models are far superior.

Plus with Gruhn's appraisal, it doesn't mention the whole celebrity connection. If you can provide the proper evidence to support it, he'll do the appraisal based solely on the merits of the instrument itself. If the provenance could be verified 100%, I'm sure his appraisal would reflect that.

The trapeze bridge Goldtops actually bring less money than the stop tailpiece ones. The trapeze setup had issues that made them a little less playable as an instrument.

Neil Young's guitar tech prefers 53's because the angle of the neck is less severe and works better with Bigsby trems. So' date=' if anyone is looking to mod a $22k guitar, there's a prime one for a Bigsby.

[i']TQR: Has Gibson ever approached you about creating

replicas of Black?

Larry Cragg: No, not that I know of. There’s a problem with putting a

Bigsby on a Les Paul that we don’t have, because we’re using

53’s. They have much less neck angle, meaning that the

bridge is way closer to the face of the guitar. The downward

angle behind the bridge to go under the roller on the B7

Bigsby is not so steep. When you try to do this on a regular

Les Paul (anything after ’53) you have too steep an angle and

it really doesn’t work right. The only way to make it work is

to put spacers underneath the Bigsby to get it up off the face

of the guitar and get the angle right. The thought that it doesn’t

stay in tune isn’t correct, though. It’s got black paint on it,

so I can’t really polish it much because the paint comes off. It

isn’t guitar lacquer – someone just painted it black with

whatever they had over the original gold top.[/i]

http://www.tonequest.com/pdf_pubs/samples/TQRSep06_Proof.pdf

wow, 22k for a instrument that isnt even that playable.

the original goldtop's are some of the most gorgeous instruments ever, but the trapeze tailpiece and soapbar pickups kind of make it not as good sounding a modern day LP, or just a 60's LP that will go for a lot less that 22 grand.

Although thats just me :D

The difference (as Rich stated) is that the neck angle is much shallower. Because of this, the strings had to wrap under the stop-bar. This made it a pain in the *** to play, and obviously you couldn't mute the strings with your right hand. Another thing is (ask any guitar builder) the angle the neck is set at has a pretty serious effect on tone. In order to address the issue with the bridge, they had to change the neck angle. An unexpected side effect was that changing the neck pitch changed the tone for the better. Without that minor adjustment, we wouldn't have the "Les Paul tone" as we know it today.

i wish i was someone ridiculously rich. i dont know why bill gates and the like don't have these rare collections in some room somewhere. maybe he does. or maybe he has a rare collection of marilyn monroe breast implants for all we know. i've gone off topic again.

Archived