Gibson Brands Forums

J Mascis "Several Shades of Why" on Gibson acoustic

Plainsman

His band, Dinosaur Jr, is the worst professional concert (alongside Pete Doherty) I have ever seen...... A shockingly amatuer display for a concert people were expected to pay into. Had my ticket not been a freebie I'd have asked him for my money back.

Oh man, that sucks! Was it recent? I have not seen Dinosaur Jr. since 1993, and that was definately a great show.

His band, Dinosaur Jr, is the worst professional concert (alongside Pete Doherty) I have ever seen...... A shockingly amatuer display for a concert people were expected to pay into. Had my ticket not been a freebie I'd have asked him for my money back.

Oh man, that sucks! Was it recent? I have not seen Dinosaur Jr. since 1993, and that was definately a great show.

Within the last 6-8 months.

Some of the unforgivables included:

Standing next to a stage fan so his hair was blowing about like an 80's whitesnake video, I'm seriously not kidding.....

Relentlessly tuning up between every song for about 4-5 minutes at a time, all done at full playing volume....

Not speaking a single word to the audience for the entire gig. You're not Lou Reed sonny...

Going off on some Allman brothers trip of playing minutes and minutes of screeching solos in every song, not very good solos either. it was truly terrible.

Honestly, Pete Doherty might just trump them by his turning up 1 hr 40 minutes late and asking the crowd where he could buy heroin (not joking either), followed a few songs in by sitting down on the stage and declaring "This isn't working is it? I'll give it another ten minutes then I'm off. Where's good to go out?", a few songs ended to total silence, not a clap, not even a boo. It was mesmerising! At one point when he was sat down contemplating how wrong it was going, he was holding/cuddling his guitar rocking backwards & forwards like it was a mental breakdown/catatonic episode. Truly enthralling for the casual observer and car-crash live performance enthusiast.

Back to Dinosaur Jr, they didn't have sideisms such as a fashionable hard drug addiction, amusing rehab stints and supermodel scoring to work in their favour, just a fat older guy with gandalf hair blowing in a fan in an 80's hair metal stylee, a horrible sound and a resounding 'failure' about them... I wouldn't go again if I was paid 50 quid.

their latest single was played on 6music a fair bit , i liked it , u have the album PM ? any good ?

Who Dinosaur Jr, haha, no I don't have it... reasonable assumption to say I won't be looking for it in a hurry either. I'd be hard pressed to choose which was more life zest zapping, seeing them again live or going to a Steps reunion gig - TRAGEDY! when the waistline's gone, you've only got one song, TRAGEDY.....

Apart from the scathing review from PM...haha

The clip is ok..never really been a fan of Dinosaur JR.... but remember reading some rave reviews of J Masics solo shows and albums recently.

Everyone can have a bad gig PM.. but of course he doesn't quite fit your manufactured tastes now does he...hahahahah

only joking [flapper] I don't wanna start anything here...........[-o<

as for Pete Doherty

he was always just a tabloid accident waiting to happen after The Libertines... thankfully it never reached its conclusion...his death.

I bet most people at the gig were only there as voyeurs

ROCK on J

and keep it tidy Pete

Apart from the scathing review from PM...haha

Scathing... the cheek of ye... young whippersnapper!

but remember reading some rave reviews of J Masics solo shows and albums recently.

That's what I'd hoped for, did I mention I was there to review it for a music mag based here.....

Everyone can have a bad gig PM.. but of course he doesn't quite fit your manufactured tastes now does he...hahahahah

Had enough of them to know first hand, Raquel.... for what it's worth, the 3 people I was with had come from Germany and seen them 2 nights before, they thought the Lux show was, dare I say "better" than what had happened in Germany

only joking [flapper] I don't wanna start anything here...........eusa_pray.gif

Yes you do, you love flirting with me and with all this attention you're growing on me too [wub]

I bet most people at the gig were only there as voyeurs

Not as much as you'd imagine, fairly youngish crowd, loads of Tshirts, Libertinesque fashions etc... could have been an epic win for him if he wasn't a shambles. I will say that I was though... the last twice he was booked here he never even made it as far as entering the country, my vaudeville & variety curiosity was piqued, so I went along... as I said it was mesmerising, an audience response I have never seen matched, not even a boo! Just total silence.

Uncle Albert xx

Great song, great sounding guitar!

I agree. He is one of my favorite guitar players.

The Cf100 looks great as well. I just hope he never paints it with purple sparkly paint (not that his Jazzmaster looks bad, but on the Gibson -- I don't think so...).

Within the last 6-8 months.

Some of the unforgivables included:

Standing next to a stage fan so his hair was blowing about like an 80's whitesnake video, I'm seriously not kidding.....

Relentlessly tuning up between every song for about 4-5 minutes at a time, all done at full playing volume....

Not speaking a single word to the audience for the entire gig. You're not Lou Reed sonny...

Going off on some Allman brothers trip of playing minutes and minutes of screeching solos in every song, not very good solos either. it was truly terrible.

Honestly, Pete Doherty might just trump them by his turning up 1 hr 40 minutes late and asking the crowd where he could buy heroin (not joking either), followed a few songs in by sitting down on the stage and declaring "This isn't working is it? I'll give it another ten minutes then I'm off. Where's good to go out?", a few songs ended to total silence, not a clap, not even a boo. It was mesmerising! At one point when he was sat down contemplating how wrong it was going, he was holding/cuddling his guitar rocking backwards & forwards like it was a mental breakdown/catatonic episode. Truly enthralling for the casual observer and car-crash live performance enthusiast.

Back to Dinosaur Jr, they didn't have sideisms such as a fashionable hard drug addiction, amusing rehab stints and supermodel scoring to work in their favour, just a fat older guy with gandalf hair blowing in a fan in an 80's hair metal stylee, a horrible sound and a resounding 'failure' about them... I wouldn't go again if I was paid 50 quid.

Loved this. Just great...!

Dinosaur Jr.... He could name his next record "Still in Diapers"

Once a friend invited me & my brother the drummer to be part of "a band" in a studio. He invited some other good players as well to back up his singing.

My friend is as tone deaf as a pile of ka ka..and I tell him all the time, 20 years later he still does not believe me, but he still gets people to believe him..cause they are daft as well.

Anyway it was rediculous and the bass player says to us at the end, man I cant be seen playin in public with this guy cause it'll ruin my reputation.

For some reason this came to my mind after listening to this guy & that guitar.Im sure in his hey day he was better..

(P.s.I know I am gonna pay for this someday..God forgive me.)

For some reason this came to my mind after listening to this guy & that guitar.Im sure in his hey day he was better..

(P.s.I know I am gonna pay for this someday..God forgive me.)

He's never been a "great" singer in the X-factor sense of the word but his music will always be real to me.

You can hear he's not a great singer in this one too but it still sounds beautiful (to me anyway). The D-28 sounds pretty good too.

If you don't like this next song then Dinosaur Jr are probably not for you.

Really pretty common stuff.

Very little talent..mucho stylization.

A lot of music is like that anyway..forgive me, I come from the old days.

I wish it was a world where the cream naturally gravitated to the top ,we'd be hearing good stuff from all ends of the earth, but skill at this point almost seems to weight the person down.

Sucess is manufactured by business dudes in suits.. sigh!

How is that different to the past?

Who knows..maybe the children or relatives of the dudes that knew what they were doing,or had standards, have taken over the business..

Its almost was if they put something out that is garbage ..and prove they're business prowess by making it sell anyway. ..(especially over here..)

I read in that Donald Trump book once..that he went to pick up a friend of his..a famous "artist" (but did not mention his name)..for lunch or something.

The guy tells Donald ..do you want to see me make $20,000 in a minute (or something like that)? Trump says ok.

The artist rolls some cloth into some paints...throws the rag at a canvas...and then says to him .."Ok,lets go.."

Really pretty common stuff.

Very little talent..mucho stylization.

A lot of music is like that anyway..forgive me, I come from the old days.

I wish it was a world where the cream naturally gravitated to the top ,we'd be hearing good stuff from all ends of the earth, but skill at this point almost seems to weight the person down.

Sucess is manufactured by business dudes in suits.. sigh!

The success (or lack of) that Dinosaur Jr have had has very little to do with "dudes in suits". They've never become a household name and never really tried to either. They've just plowed away in their niche doing what they love to do.

I also wouldn't describe it as "common stuff". I can't think of any band that sounds that similar to Dinosaur Jr and I'm a music nerd.

The other thing I would add is that J Mascis has a pretty unique style on the guitar. Pretty hard to emulate convincingly (much more so than someone like Eric Clapton).

Often the problem with people from the "good old days" is that they can't see past the 1970's. I imagine (maybe I'm wrong though)that when you listened to the Dinosaur clips you gave less than a minute to each one before dismissing it as "common stuff".

Music's moved on since the "good old days", if it hadn't I'd be pretty bored. With the almost infinite amounts of music available only a mouse click away I think we're living in a far more exciting time for music than any that went before.

I went to see this band a few months ago. Never had more goosebumps in my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewojV4j_ndU (listen to it to the end before dismissing it as choir boy stuff [biggrin])

Some good points Jack

I think this is a very ..very bad time for music though. One of the problems for me is there is TOO much stuff at the click of a mouse away. Like TV you have a 1000 channels of crap to choose from.

There must be good new stuff out there....PLEASE..haha

But where are they..Where are the Fela Kuti's.. Stevie Wonders... Thee Smiths... Radio Heads... the kids are into DJing and Dubstep... I could write a few pages about DJ'ing but basicaly playing other peoples music and being classed as a star does'nt really hold up for me. I love Black American Electronic Dance music... bit it is truely a sign of the times when this is the aspired to culture.

Saying that here is something that rocked my boat when I first saw it.. I know this is an acoustic guitar forum but.. this for me is really innovative.. talented and whats going on at present

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0dlH7wSL1c&feature=related

thing is though...it's a kinda one trick pony

edit

actually listening to it again...its feckin BRILLIANT..

and I think I just answered my own question !

Some good points Jack

I think this is a very ..very bad time for music though. One of the problems for me is there is TOO much stuff at the click of a mouse away. Like TV you have a 1000 channels of crap to choose from.

There must be good new stuff out there....PLEASE..haha

But where are they..Where are the Fela Kuti's.. Stevie Wonders... Thee Smiths... Radio Heads... the kids are into DJing and Dubstep... I could write a few pages about DJ'ing but basicaly playing other peoples music and being classed as a star does'nt really hold up for me. I love Black American Electronic Dance music... bit it is truely a sign of the times when this is the aspired to culture.

Saying that here is something that rocked my boat when I first saw it.. I know this is an acoustic guitar forum but.. this for me is really innovative.. talented and whats going on at present

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0dlH7wSL1c&feature=related

thing is though...it's a kinda one trick pony

edit

actually listening to it again...its feckin BRILLIANT..

and I think I just answered my own question !

I agree that there is an overwhelming amount of music out there and that 90% of it is crap (even the Beatles recorded a fair percentage of crap though) or just watered down replica material. But that other 10% is just as exciting and interesting as the best stuff from the much lauded golden years. The difference between now and yesteryear is that good music isn't offered up on a plate like back then. You have to look for it in the undergrowth. :)

I make a point of not listening to the newest bands. With all the hype and over played singles it usually results in turning me off or just plain dismissing it. But after waiting until the dust has settled and for the artist to get a few albums under their belt I really enjoy "getting into" relatively new music.

With the sheer diversity of music at my fingertips I'm glad to be alive today rather than back in the 60's.

Archived