Gibson Brands Forums

Guitarist vs Plumber

FirstMeasure

I think we are talking about two different plumbers. You mean the guy that comes to your house and unclogs your drains. My father and plumbers that share a job site with AXE® are laying/welding monster pipes for things like power plants.

Of course I realize Axe is no regular plumber, but with his expertise he should know what I'm talking about. Although my terminology is very poor which is why I'm a handy man and not a plumber. I can do it but I don't knwo what to call it. (I don't believe you should have to know plumbing theory to be a plumber [flapper] j/k).

Doctors toilet plugs up so he calls a plumber. Plumbers there for a half hour then comes out and says "your all set" while handing him a bill for $150. Doctor freaks out and says "$150 for half hours work, dang you make more than i do". Plumber replies " yea i know. I used to be a Doctor" [flapper]

My Grandfather was a steamfitter and a plumber. He worked on building everything in Iraq back in the 70's so we could blow it all up a few years later. He fit steam pipes there, but was a regular plumber here in the state. He'd rather stay with his family and make steady money than make big money and never be at home. Kinda like a musician.

The difference to me is simple:

The artist's statement can't be tested. Want proof? Ask who THE best guitarist is and watch the forum go. It is a purely subjective thing. Someone out there knows that Nirvana's guitarist is better than Slash, and someone out there will scream Jimmy Page.

A plumber can say he is good, he may even say he is the best, but at the end of the day if everything is done to the person's satisfaction, BOOM! It has been proven. "He fixed the leak AND cleaned up after himself. He was on time and was nice = BEST plumber EVER!"

A plumber can say he is good because there is a way he can prove it.

A guitarist can't prove that he is good.

Someone once said that Fred Astaire couldn't sing, act OR DANCE.

But wouldn't a bunch of Grammy's and record breaking ticket sales prove that the artist is a good entertainer. Wouldn't hundreds of album credits prove you're one of the best studio musicians?

As awards go: The influence the music has on generations of guitarists may be the most accurate gague of just how incredible someone is. I see people here talk about artists who have been dead fo a while and who made music WAY back. I talking abotu artists who died poor and unrecognized and who I'd have never heard of otherwise. Still, the whole thing is subjective. Getting a little statue means nothing. The test of time and how your work stands to it is more important.

As ticket sales go: Are the Jonas Brothers amazing guitarists? Are they incredible entertainers?

They are massive as money and fame go. I think they are mediocre musically and, having seen them perform on tv (my patients love the Disney channel), I am not impressed with their entertainment skills, though some could say they are better than Nirvana because at least they TRY to entertain and don't just stare at their own shoes while they play. Again, subjective assesments.

Archived