Gibson Brands Forums

Guitarist vs Plumber

FirstMeasure

When a guitarist boast about his skills he's immediately chastised for having an Ego, but a plumber can boast about his skills as a plumber without being chastised.

I mean, if your electrician came to the door and said "I can probably fix your lights, but I'm not the best by a long shot", you'd go looking for another electrician. But a guitarist has to pretend that all guitarists are equally capable, or at least unable to evaluate their own abilities.

What's that all about?

One helps people, the other one entertains people.

You want someone that can help you for certain, not so much for entertainment. Its a two street...

You mean it's a less subjective answer because there's obvious negative results from inferior plumbing, but not from inferior musicianship?

Not necessarily true. A good band helps the venue make it's money. A poor band or entertainer will lose money for the venue. Or a sub-par studio musician that costs the producer 4 extra hours in the studio, that's not helping him make the record.

I can do both,, I can play guitar AND have a plumbers crack.

And do both at the same time.

The chicks dig it.

Sorry girls,, I'm already taken.

That's interesting...

I mean, plumbers don't usually brag about being a plumber. But, regardless, in the trades, sometimes they are referred to as "turd chasers". Because that is one thing they do.

But yet, some of these young guys who are NOT plumbers need to pull their damn pants up! And this "fashion statement" came from a a jail activity that is...well, "turd chasing".

Not the same thing. Just odd the same term for different things seems to fit in different ways.

You mean it's a less subjective answer because there's obvious negative results from inferior plumbing, but not from inferior musicianship?

Not necessarily true. A good band helps the venue make it's money. A poor band or entertainer will lose money for the venue. Or a sub-par studio musician that costs the producer 4 extra hours in the studio, that's not helping him make the record.

Yes but no one wants a huge leak due to a bad plumber. One bad show can't cost you a job, one bad plumbing job can cost you a lot and your job.

Whats the worst that can happen from inferior musicianship? The rich don't make as much money? Tons of great musicans **** up all the time and they are still doing just fine, i wouldn't say the same for those in the "technical skill/trade" market.

In the corse of the day, we ALL have times when our pants fall. I mean, c'mon.

It isn't about if they fall down. It's if we pull them up.

Lol,,, no worries dude.

I fear my sarcasm was lost on you. I pull mine up friend.

Nobody needs to see this 51 yr old fat dude wearing his pants down...lol.

Cheers man.

When a guitarist boast about his skills he's immediately chastised for having an Ego, but a plumber can boast about his skills as a plumber without being chastised.

I mean, if your electrician came to the door and said "I can probably fix your lights, but I'm not the best by a long shot", you'd go looking for another electrician. But a guitarist has to pretend that all guitarists are equally capable, or at least unable to evaluate their own abilities.

What's that all about?

A Chet Atkins quote: "By the time I realized I couldn't tune a guitar I was too rich to care" Gotta love Chet!!!

A plumber fits.

Where a fitter sh!ts. msp_lol.gif

You must be a pipe fitter. I can smell the rudeness in your post!

My father was a plumber and welder for years. He helped build the Belle River Power Plant in Michigan as well as the one in Harbor Beach, MI. That pipe fitter / plumber rivalry is as old as the day is long.

You must be a pipe fitter. I can smell the rudeness in your post!

My father was a plumber and welder for years. He helped build the Belle River Power Plant in Michigan as well as the one in Harbor Beach, MI. That pipe fitter / plumber rivalry is as old as the day is long.

I ain't neither, but I do work construction and deal with both.

I don't care what your pay is or what you think is the "higher" trade, as far as I am concerned, plumber takes priority. I can do without sprinklers until inspection time.

RESPECT your plumber, or pay the price. (Don't forget the TP).

Lol,,, no worries dude.

I fear my sarcasm was lost on you. I pull mine up friend.

Nobody needs to see this 51 yr old fat dude wearing his pants down...lol.

Cheers man.

No worries...just wasn't sure if I went to far. I could see where it might have.

I gave you a +1 for pulling your pants up.

Yes but no one wants a huge leak due to a bad plumber. One bad show can't cost you a job, one bad plumbing job can cost you a lot and your job.

Whats the worst that can happen from inferior musicianship? The rich don't make as much money? Tons of great musicans **** up all the time and they are still doing just fine, i wouldn't say the same for those in the "technical skill/trade" market.

You argument assumes concert promoters and venue owners are all rich, not true at all. On bad performance can not only lose you your job as a performer (at least for that venue), but can lose the promoter his job and his reputation, which is invaluable to any businessman that hustles up his own work. And I believe an engineer would disagree with you about a musician making a lot of mistakes still being a great musician. I'm not referring to Slash or guys that have successful bands, that's a different type of pro. I mean a day in day out guitar slinger who can play country like Albert Lee, Rock like Alvin Lee, and play bass like Geddy lee. A Professional Musician, not a rockstar.

It could also be argued that Plumbers can be sub par and still be successful plumbers (I'm a handy man in the daytime, so I can attest to this. In fact, it's where my whole point stems form). You have no idea how many ridiculous plumbing jobs I've had to repair because the plubmer too appalling shortcuts to get the job done quick and cheap. They plumbing works for a few months, then it just doesn't work anymore, and I have to go in and repair this pro's repair. So I'm down there thinking, "If this guy was a musician, he'd be booed off the stage".

Steamfitter.

High pressure. High Alloy

100% X-ray..

Nuclear international certification.

Not a plumber.

Not being rude. But a plumber can not weld with me.

Remote video hot & cold wire dimetric.

Certified instructor.

And I make my living.

Playing guitar...

Why don't you feel like you can be honest about your skills? If put properly, it doesn't come off as conceit at all.

Very true, but it seems that the line between conceit and honesty is much more delicate for a musician than a tradesman. And I'm not really including myself in the equation because I never cared if I came off as conceited or not, I've always let other make whatever judgment they're going to make. It's more what I've observed happen to others that I feel were labeled inaccurately just because they don't candy coat their words.

I guess you could say, the justifiably conceited. To bring it to a more familiar focus, kinda like Ygnwie Malmsteen.

Steamfitter.

100% X-ray..

Not a plumber.

Certified instructor.

And I make my living.

Playing guitar...

I was asking if you were a pipe fitter since there used to be a rivalry between them and plumbers on job sites. And I wouldn't be surprised if your welding skills are high tech. My father welded in the seventies and most of the eighties. I am sure welding has come a l-o-n-g way since.

Steamfitter.

100% X-ray..

Not a plumber.

Certified instructor.

And I make my living.

Playing guitar...

So I hope you wouldn't sweat 3/4 steal pipe to 1/4 inch copper, then back to a 3/4 inch outdoor fitting on the wrong side of the shutoff vlave. With no way to replace the seat without re-plumbing at least 15 feat of water pipes.

That's a brief description of what I was looking at when I thought of this thread.

So I hope you wouldn't sweat 3/4 steal pipe to 1/4 inch copper, then back to a 3/4 inch outdoor fitting on the wrong side of the shutoff vlave. With no way to replace the seat without re-plumbing at least 15 feat of water pipes.

That's a brief description of what I was looking at when I thought of this thread.

I think we are talking about two different plumbers. You mean the guy that comes to your house and unclogs your drains. My father and plumbers that share a job site with AXE® are laying/welding monster pipes for things like power plants.

Archived