Gibson Brands Forums

Any of you guys kind of always felt that .012's, and acoustic guitars in general,tuned to pitch too stiff & hampers your playing?

merseybeat1963

So you're saying even Johnny Cash couldn't get what he wanted by the biggest acoustic manufacturer of the time? That's quite a tough one to swallow. If you're saying Johnny Cash may have thought the generic models were a bit rough but so was most others, it's quite different to what was said above. It just seems strange that in the heyday of rock n rollers, the excess boys, they could all get whatever they wanted, when they wanted it day or night, but Johnny Cash couldn't when all he wanted was a half-decent guitar.

Lest we forget he's probably the most iconic 'user' on a global scale, custom shop or no custom shop, I'd have guessed when Mr Cash called they'd do a fair bit of listening. I must take this one to the AGF the next time I get Gibson-bashed. So it seems in all that time in business they've never learned to please their best advert, nor how to attach a bridge properly to a guitar when ramping up the numbers. I might have to light a wee candle for Martin & Co. Tough times indeed. :D

you should talk to some of the guys that have worked for Martin for a while. They tell a story about Johnny's first all black Martin. When Cash asked for it, CF Martin said, "NO". He didn't care who wanted it. Martin didn't make black guitars and they weren't going to start. He put his foot down. The workers didn't listen. They built the guitar and secretly painted it black. When Johnny started to appear with it in public, CFM flipped his lid. He showed up at the plant in a rage. Heads were going to roll. None of the workers ratted out each other though... so there was no blame to be placed. He warned them never to let it happen again.

So, yes, it happened at least once, but I certainly have no problem believing that as a general policy Johnny couldn't just get whatever he wanted. He bought all of his guitars. No free ones from Martin...not even the black one.

Regardless of whether or not is seems to be a smart business decision, this is how it went down.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not gay – but I like EA

I'm not homo – but I'm mad about mojo

I do not work in the street – but I fancy merseybeat

I am no little girl – but I'm after Motherofpearl

I do not want no ones d... - but I'm a fan of j45nick

Pardon fellows – middle of the nite here and I'm just out of a demo-session - decided to peek in, , , must be in my semi-crazy corner - better log out a take a last listen. . . See ya

ooh forgot this one

I'm never really hot - before I dance with retrorod

I am not gay – but I like EA

I'm not homo – but I'm mad about mojo

I do not work in the street – but I fancy merseybeat

I am no little girl – but I'm after Motherofpearl

I do not want no ones d... - but I'm a fan of j45nick

Pardon fellows – middle of the nite here and I'm just out of a demo-session - decided to peak in, , , must be in my semi-crazy corner - better log out a take a last listen. . . See ya

Hey, J-45nick is my ASCAP publishing company. I'll get the union goons after you [biggrin] ......

you should talk to some of the guys that have worked for Martin for a while. They tell a story about Johnny's first all black Martin. When Cash asked for it, CF Martin said, "NO". He didn't care who wanted it. Martin didn't make black guitars and they weren't going to start. He put his foot down. The workers didn't listen. They built the guitar and secretly painted it black. When Johnny started to appear with it in public, CFM flipped his lid. He showed up at the plant in a rage. Heads were going to roll. None of the workers ratted out each other though... so there was no blame to be placed. He warned them never to let it happen again.

So, yes, it happened at least once, but I certainly have no problem believing that as a general policy Johnny couldn't just get whatever he wanted. He bought all of his guitars. No free ones from Martin...not even the black one.

Regardless of whether or not is seems to be a smart business decision, this is how it went down.

Cool piece of history.

Things were different then.

If Gibson/Martin was as rigid as they were in those years,way back in the 1930's, they would have told Ray Whitley sorry..we can't put a flat top on to an L5 and make a bridge in the shape of a Mustache/Bulls horns for it. "We dont do that and we aint gonna start now."

• 1 month later...

ok this is for the old gizzards with arthritis:

I found The Cowling System finger-dexterity lessons I purchased back in 1971, (I was hooked on Led Zeppelyn's "Babe I'm gonna leave ya").

I scanned Lesson 1 (3 pages of text and 6 images).

anyone who wants Lesson 1 send me a pm with their e-mail and I'll send them. You will have to print the text pages. This is an old world system used by violinists and celloists in England and Europe. The 1st lesson will make your fingers "Free At Last".

:-({|=

Archived