Gibson Brands Forums

Tusq bridge pins, not too bad.......

iwalktheline

On 11/29/2012 at 11:21 AM, E-minor7 said:

I'll continue to believe in the diffences for quite a while - but when I say rose, it could just as well be ebony. Wood is wood is wood.

"A rose is a rose is a rose"

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Gertrude Stein

On 11/29/2012 at 11:26 AM, blindboygrunt said:

PLEASE don't take this the wrong way , i'm glad you hear a difference , i'm nott a who's wrong and who's right kinda guy .... but why do you think you get a difference and i dont ?

there must be something ... maybe i've just got useless ears , lord knows it might explain my playing ... anyone got a theory on this ? cant be the guitars because some of the 'believers' have more than one guitar as do the non-believers ..

Appropriate to mention that Martin since have made scientific tests on bridge-pins with results that made them alter their material.  Still I agree - we are down in scale-petit. 

I have tusq pins on my  2020 Gibson Hummingbird ...and my 2019 Gibson J-45 M    (both guitars came with tusq. Apparently Gibson no longer uses those cheezy plastic pins)   My 2013 Gibson J-45 standard came with the old plastic molded pins....so I replaced them with tusq pins just to see what would happem. Loved it. Pins make s difference on all my guitars not just those three mentioned above. I would describe tusq pins as crisp, lucent and very clean and clear notes. Ebony darker, warmer, a tad fuzzier in tone.  And plastic molded pins just plain obstruct proper sound to me. 

I love to tinker, and feel that pins and saddle make the most difference...the nut, not so much so I don’t worry about that.  Tusc pins give me a more brittle, strident sound than bone or plastic.  It’s a toss up, depending on the guitar and the strings, which of those two I’ll favor.  Ebony has not provided a great deal of satisfaction to me, other than on a D35 I used to own (and foolishly sold).

Fun part of the hobby for me.

rb

You might find 1965 pins.   You might find tusk pins.   You might find plastic pins.   But, unless you are selling and not playing - as the 2 pages of sage advice note (although 8 years old - still relevant) ,  getting pins that are The Right Size and placing them correctly is at least equally important.  Your holes may be worn, etc.  Tusq is superior to plastic in this application.  Don't know what you have on now, but don't downgrade.   G'luck. 

I have three Gibson’s with different pins. Some mornings one sounds better than the others, other mornings it’s one of the  others. Sometimes it seems a pin switch makes a difference, other times not so much. One has ancient strings that I am liking the sound of.  All of my guitars sound good, I think it depends on the mood my ears are in on any given day as to which one sounds “better” and why...

4 minutes ago, Al Pike said:

I have three Gibson’s with different pins. Some mornings one sounds better than the others, other mornings it’s one of the  others. Sometimes it seems a pin switch makes a difference, other times not so much. One has ancient strings that I am liking the sound of.  All of my guitars sound good, I think it depends on the mood my ears are in on any given day as to which one sounds “better” and why...

Helo Al Pike - a realistic and recognizable report. Which Gibsons do you have ?