Gibson Brands Forums

Third times a charm NGD Traditional

blueslespaultone

I got it today.

3rd times a charm. Recap

1. Gold top Trad immediately connected with. Had what looked like a crack on the base of the neck.

2. Iced tea, beautiful. Couldn't connect with it, multiple Blemishes on the fretboard, neck pickup sounded nasally and boomy. 4 conductor wire on the neck pu. It was a lemon.

3. Got this beautiful HEritage cherry burst, immediately connected with it. Relieved the tone is amazing.

FF34ED23-E298-460B-935C-333976BCC93B-361-00000053578CE483.jpg

C0A5CE93-67F8-4068-A2CF-E8F0F1BA92AC-361-000000534BD2538E.jpg

0A3192DB-5F7D-4FDD-B250-BD0A4EE7EFA2-361-0000005344830B5D.jpg

One piece body to boot

1A76742A-B00E-47B3-918A-906051628C6A-361-000000533A886C67.jpg

Hey that looks like mine!

imageyes.jpg

Btw, this is what my board looked like on the first one I received in feb. these were on literally every other fret. some worse than others.

second time was the charm for me.

imageart.jpg

OH AND CONGRATS!

DG yours is awesome.

Damn. That's bad.

Yeah, this one is flawless, by what I can see.

Action is right for me, tone is great, weight is perfect.

Glad I returned the other ones.

Ps, if I had grabbed the gold top and this one off the rack,

It wouldve been a hard choice. But I would've passed on the iced tea one. I only liked the bridge on that one, the neck sounded boomy and muddy with distortion. The current ones bridge pu is awesome and the neck pu is awesome too.

Did I mention it RAWKS!!!!!

Actually, future mods list are 500k vol pots, and some nice caps.

You reccomend PIOs? .022 mf for the bridge .047 mf for the neck?

Hm. :-k 0.047 micro-Farad capacitors for neck? It will be too muddy. Those are better for the single-coils which are - by nature - brighter sounding.

I put 0.022s for both pickups on my CC. These are the stock values, but they make a huge difference. Mellow, rounder tone, better sustain - more of that vintage character most of us love in a Les Paul.

For neck pickup people usually go with 0.015s if they still find the 0.022s too muddy. Never heard anyone go into the opposite way...

I prefer the new PIOs over the new-old-stock. It's better to be on the safe side: https://audio.jensencapacitors.com/products/capalutube/sn-aglead/

Cheers... Bence

Thanks guys,

Bender, the iced tea top was my favorite.

But id definitely rather have this one.

Tone, feel, playability, sustain outdo the beautiful iced tea.

I can't put her down.

As soon as I opened the case, I plugged her in and fell into a groove.

The craftsmanship on this one, is top notch. The guy building my trad was having a good day, possibly got his bonus or something.

yeah, i'd choose the one that's free of defects too, especially since it's got great tones....but dayum that Tea top was tough!

the real issue with your whole experience here is that the 1st 2 had to be returned, which seems to be becoming "acceptable" lately, as opposed to the "torches & pitchforks" reaction it would have conjured years ago.

my last couple of new Gibson purchases have been blemish/issue free which is how it should be....one "instore" and 1 "Online" purchase each. The online buy was even a "1st "after the flood" production guitar, and I was sweating it a bit, but it arrived not only issue free but playing and sounding great after only a mild "tweak" of a setup.

that's my longwinded way of saying, glad you got one that tickles your fancy.

"Hey Mickey, Hey Mickey!!!"

This is why you got to try out as many, because this one is right for me, feels as good as my friends custom shop model.

It's joy to play.

Last night I was testing the sustain, boy does it hold a note.

The rosewood is smooth, I must say smoother than the goldtop, definitely smoother than the iced tea.

OOOOOZZZZZEEESSSSS tone and mojo....

I went over this one with a fine tooth comb, laboratory microscope, magnifying glass, and it's absolutely flawless...... And I'm picky...

Ps. You couldn't pry this one off my hands even if it was layered rosewood, baked maple, synthetic rosewood, a fret board made of carbon fiber. It's that good.

"not dogging on baked maple or layered rw"

"Hey Mickey, Hey Mickey!!!"

This is why you got to try out as many, because this one is right for me, feels as good as my friends custom shop model.

It's joy to play.

Last night I was testing the sustain, boy does it hold a note.

The rosewood is smooth, I must say smoother than the goldtop, definitely smoother than the iced tea.

OOOOOZZZZZEEESSSSS tone and mojo....

I went over this one with a fine tooth comb, laboratory microscope, magnifying glass, and it's absolutely flawless...... And I'm picky...

Ps. You couldn't pry this one off my hands even if it was layered rosewood, baked maple, synthetic rosewood, a fret board made of carbon fiber. It's that good.

"not dogging on baked maple or layered rw"

What if the fretboard was made from cardboard with inlays painted on by a sharpie?

• 4 weeks later...

alright,

im going roughly on 4 weeks with this guitar and its a work of art, ive completely bonded with it now. infact i just got a fulltone ocd pedal and adds depth to my tone.

i plugged in my les paul into the ocd into my rc3 into my ltd ed fender drri wine red with a cannibis rex speaker. tone....

i compared the ocd to my ts808,boss mega distortion and the ocd has a great distortion for leads, and is very responsive and clear and complex. the boss distortion is great for rhythm playing, but leads sounds thin and 2d, and muddy. the ts808 imho sounds better with a strat, the lester sounds a bit nasally,not bad.

i love that the volume controls clean to dirty to flat rawk and roll.. all these pedals do this but the ocd does it better

Archived