Gibson Brands Forums

New Epiphone Owner

jfeenin

Hi everyone, new member here. I am also new to guitar playing, just took my first official lesson Saturday, and new to Epiphones since I also just bought a transparent blue Les Paul Standard. Through information I have found here on these forums I believe it was made in September 2010. I think it has been hanging in the store since shortly thereafter though.

Which brings me to my question... When I removed the film on the pick guard the area under where the sticker was on top of the file has discolored slightly and matches the more creme color of the switch surround and the pickup surrounds but the rest of the pick guard that had the clear film only on it is much more white. I would have thought since the sticker was on top of the film that it would block the light more than the rest but the reverse appears to be the case. So now I have a beautiful guitar with a noticeable circle in the middle of the pickguard. I assume this will even out with age. Am I correct? I've even considered just taking it off and putting it on the window sill in the sun for a few weeks. Would that hurt it any? Would it help even it out faster? Should I just forget it and buy a new pickguard?

Any input is appreciated.

Joe

Hi everyone, new member here. I am also new to guitar playing, just took my first official lesson Saturday, and new to Epiphones since I also just bought a transparent blue Les Paul Standard. Through information I have found here on these forums I believe it was made in September 2010. I think it has been hanging in the store since shortly thereafter though.

Which brings me to my question... When I removed the film on the pick guard the area under where the sticker was on top of the file has discolored slightly and matches the more creme color of the switch surround and the pickup surrounds but the rest of the pick guard that had the clear film only on it is much more white. I would have thought since the sticker was on top of the film that it would block the light more than the rest but the reverse appears to be the case. So now I have a beautiful guitar with a noticeable circle in the middle of the pickguard. I assume this will even out with age. Am I correct? I've even considered just taking it off and putting it on the window sill in the sun for a few weeks. Would that hurt it any? Would it help even it out faster? Should I just forget it and buy a new pickguard?

Joe

Welcome to the forum Joe. Sounds like you picked a nice guitar to start your musical experiences with.

From what you describe, it sounds like you are probably right that the rest of the pickguard will probably even out with age. It sounds to me like the light has caused some lightening of the pickguard and the sticker just shielded the one spot from being lightened. I doubt that putting it in the sun will bother it any.

How long ago did you buy it? I would personally contact the store if it's "new new" and you don't like the difference on the pickguard. It might even out over time but there's no guarantee and worse case scenario is that you have to live with it.

By all means, if you can take it back to the store and at a minimum, ask them to order a replacement p/g at no cost. And if it's that old, change the strings [flapper]

Welcome Joe,

We will all try to help you with any questions you may have. Your pickguard will even out eventually. If not, its all part of the MOJO your guitar will start to accumulate as you progress as a player. Try putting it in the sun if you wish or just leave it and let it do it's own thing. Please feel free to post pictures of your new Epi so we all can drool at it.

By all means, if you can take it back to the store and at a minimum, ask them to order a replacement p/g at no cost. And if it's that old, change the strings [flapper]

Ironically that is exactly what I am doing right now. [thumbup] I picked up some Ernie Ball Power Slinky's when I bought it. I can return it yes, and I had considered that but they don't make this model anymore and this was the last one they had of it. If I wanted another color I could but to be honest I will buy another pickguard out of my pocket before I will give up the blue. I feel like I am a little old to be trying to learn something like this from scratch but I am pretty determined I am going to. My 10 year old has been taking lessons for just about a year now. My goal is to catch up with him as fast as I can so we can really practice together.

This is actually my second guitar. My first was a Squier Affinity Fat Strat my wife and older son had purchased for me. I also went a little nuts and picked up a bass too just because I wanted to try that.

It's just a phone pic and not all that good but this picture shows what I am talking about pretty clearly. Although it doesn't do any justice to how good the rest of the instrument looks:

normal_IMG_0862.JPG

Ironically that is exactly what I am doing right now. [thumbup] I picked up some Ernie Ball Power Slinky's when I bought it. I can return it yes, and I had considered that but they don't make this model anymore and this was the last one they had of it. If I wanted another color I could but to be honest I will buy another pickguard out of my pocket before I will give up the blue. I feel like I am a little old to be trying to learn something like this from scratch but I am pretty determined I am going to. My 10 year old has been taking lessons for just about a year now. My goal is to catch up with him as fast as I can so we can really practice together.

This is actually my second guitar. My first was a Squier Affinity Fat Strat my wife and older son had purchased for me. I also went a little nuts and picked up a bass too just because I wanted to try that.

It's just a phone pic and not all that good but this picture shows what I am talking about pretty clearly. Although it doesn't do any justice to how good the rest of the instrument looks:

normal_IMG_0862.JPG

That spot shows more than my imagination could picture from your first post. If it were mine I think I'd just buy a new pick guard and get on with it. Here's a place you might want to take a look at.

http://www.allparts.com/les-paul-pickguards

Yeah it's pretty noticeable. I was thinking that (because the other items were also exposed) that the creme was the faded color originally. Now I realize the other items were probably just made of something that didn't fade so readily and the pickguard has just bleached out by being by the front window of the place for so long.

I see conflicting reports on whether a Gibson pickguard will fit an Epiphone properly. Does anyone know if a standard Gibson Les Paul PG will with this without modifications?

Looking at some measurements, seems there is a difference between the Epiphone and Gibson pickguards. See links below, select "Measure" tab:

Gibson:

http://www.greasygroove.com/proddetail.php?prod=15337-PG-P-S-C-LP

Epiphone:

http://www.greasygroove.com/proddetail.php?prod=17844-PG-P-S-C-LP

Best bet is to measure yours and see which would fit.

Well I measured it and the Gibson definitely will not fit. So I did two things. I called Gibson support who is sending me a replacement. +1 for their customer support! :) Second, since they said that will take seven to ten business days in the mean time (at least) I took the ugly one off. It is better looking with it off I have to say. I do not like the visible open hole but it's not even really that visible beyond two feet. I would like to have a proper pickguard to put on though. After all I did pay for it so I am glad Gibson is sending me one. Otherwise yeah I'd probably cough up $20 or so for one just to have.

This is what she looks like right now without the PG:

normal_IMG_0868.JPG

normal_IMG_0869.JPG

Now to get back to practicing on the thing :) Thanks again for all the input!

I know a lotta LP players like to take off the pickguard.

All I can say is that some 35 years ago or so I took the pickguard off the full hollow I was using for country-rock in a trio. Today I still have the old box and I truly regret removing it - and of course losing it.

My "baby" Bro - who isn't yet 40 and is some 28 years younger than I am - has an LP similar to yours. As one playing more than 20 years in a lot more "contemporary" styles, he sez he loves his - and the pickguard is still on it.

m

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to followup to this post and say that Gibson did come through. The new PG arrived today and it's not only the right dimensions it is also IMO done better than the original. The countersink bore on the screw that goes to the metal bracket on the original was more shallow than in should have been which left that screw quite a bit proud. The new one is done better.

normal_IMG_0895.JPG

I'll post some picks of the guitar with the new PG when I get some decent ones.

As a side note I know I am new to this and I have only been taking actual lessons for a few weeks (although I've had my Squire for nearly a year now) I must say the sound of this guitar really is distinctively different. I am really liking this guitar!

Super happy you're happy. The Epis are marvelous guitars for the money - and one such as yours is, with proper setup, IMHO perfectly capable of professional use on stage. It's far, far better than anything I imagined I'd have when I started.

Practice well - and enjoy.

m

Joe

well i see ya got a new one ! but thought you might try a plastic polish such as is used on motorcycle windshields ! I'll bet it will look like new aferwards!

Archived