Gibson Brands Forums

Scalloped fretboards

Vega1

The Yngwie Malmsteen thread got me thinking, all(?) his guitars have scalloped fretboards. Anyone ever try one? Does it truly make it easier to play fast? Does it affect tone?

I have only ever seen strat style guitars with scalloped fretboards, anyone ever seen a Gibson?

As Buxom said, a lighter touch is required. This requires you to relax your hand more, and a relaxed hand will move faster than a tense hand. This gives the illusion that the scalloping is making you faster, when in reality it's just forcing you to relax.

But like any new skill, it takes time. Many people opt to scallop frets 12 and up, which is a nice introduction to scalloping, and you can then choose to keep it like that or scallop the rest.

I've played a few Yngwie sigs, and bending was marvelously easy. But keeping everything in tune...that's another story.

-Ryan

I've played the YJM Strat and the Steve Vai JEM that was scalloped above the 12th fret.

It felt weird and I didn't have any trouble staying on pitch.

Not sure it's my cup of tea, but I wouldn't turn one down if it was offered to me either!

I have only ever seen strat style guitars with scalloped fretboards, anyone ever seen a Gibson?

I played a Malmsteen Strat but only for a minute or so therefore my opinion is pretty worthless so I'll leave it at that...

I'm fairly sure our very own Mod, Duane V, has a scalloped-'board Gibson and I seem to remember it being his RR LP but that part I'm not sure about.

You might consider sending him a PM.

P.

The Yngwie Malmsteen thread got me thinking, all(?) his guitars have scalloped fretboards. Anyone ever try one? Does it truly make it easier to play fast? Does it affect tone?

there is/was a richie blackmore (deep purple) fender strat model with the scalloped fretboard that's interesting. i tried a scallop on a westone guitar, diy ... it got a good laugh at the pawn shop!

Archived