Gibson Brands Forums

Wilco Johnson diognosed with terminal cancer.

LT ED

Just been reading the sad news that Wilco Johnson has been diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer.Im not to sure how big a name Wilco is in the USA [ huge I hope] but here in the UK he is very well known and loved.I could only describe him as Angus Young on speed,a great guitar player who can play rhythm and lead at the same time and is a joy to watch with incredible stage presence. Your exhausted just watching him.Its stated that he will not be having any treatment so It sounds to me that things are pretty fare down the line, having had a family member die of the same type of cancer I for one will prey for a miracle and will wish him all the best.

That is very sad news indeed.

I've been listening to the Feelgoods for almost as long as I've owned a guitar ('76) and even now on those few occasions when I drag out the Tele it's largely their stuff I play.

I've still got my original copies of 'Malpractice' and 'Down By the Jetty' - the latter in glorious Monophonic! I lost 'Stupidity', somehow, but simply had to replace the vinyl with a CD.

After Wilco left the band just wasn't the same (IMHO). The only time I saw him live ('78?) was in a small pub in London's 'The Oval' when he performed with his 'Solid Senders'. They were Electrifying!

Although they did many standard R&B covers much of the first two albums (especially) were Wilco-written originals and fine songs they are, too.

It's quite something to be able to say in all honesty that your own compositions can share equal-footing with songs by the likes of Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, John Lee Hooker and Leiber & Stoller!

I'll join you in wishing him all the goodwill in the world. Who knows? Perhaps, soon enough, he and Lee Brilleaux can sit down and have a chinwag about the old days?

P.

EDIT : For those unfamiliar with the man I've just posted a clip from their earliest (recording) days in the 'What are You Listening to...?' thread.

[thumbup]

Very sad. Some of you may remember that I posted about my father a while back. He was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. They gave him 6-9 months. He's still fighting it 26 months later! So, it's the luck of the draw and may Wilco not go in pain.

Apparently Wilco is going to carry on playing as long as he can, with some farewell uk dates being arranged now.

Such a shame.

A few years ago I had the pleasure of going on a coach and ferry trip with Wilco, John Otway and his band and a load of fans from England to Dunkirk, for a weekend of gigs and beer. It was a truly bizarre rock n roll experience which left me holding Wilco in the very highest regard. A great player and a proper gentleman. Hope he gets the most he can from the time he has left.

manse

Yes. My Mum was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer and she also decided not to go through all the chemo.

I saw the original Dr Feelgood about 4 times. I was there. Naughty Rhythms tour and all the rest. This guy is as good in his own way as Keith Richards, easily. Just completely unique guitar style, pure rock and roll. The DVD/CD set 'Going Back Home' has 40 mins of full-throttle Feelgood live at Southend Kursaal. The 1970s; these guys immediately preceded the punk explosion in the UK. I haven't caught 'Oil City Confidential' yet but I will.

Archived