Gibson Brands Forums

Are there any "Medium/light" guage strings....

onewilyfool

I recently put some Martin Marquis "lights" on a guitar and they seemed heavier than normal lights. I don't remember the guages but the high string was .12. I don't like them because they're too heavy for me but may be what you want.

Curt Mangan strings offer phosph & 80/20 brz in sets of custom mix of your liking. I've been useing ther 80/20/brz ,12,17,24,w32,44,56 on both my J45's and luvum, you get the strong brilliance in the trebles from a med set and the bit more supple feel of lights in the middle, which makes it very comfortable playing bar and full chords further up the neck where the tension and higher clearance can some times be a challenge for extended playing.

hey thanks. I am going to try out those bluegrass string the medium to light ones. That's the trouble I have with mediums because the upper strings kill my fingers playing lead. Maybe those will work better. I have been trying different strings for over a year now and I still haven't found the right ones.

GibbyJoe, you might try Newtones. Since I discovered them early this year I’ve used nothing else on my J45. Great sound, sort of “old timey”, they last about a month and are slightly less tension than other strings. I use Newtone Master Class light (12 -54) and find that there is plenty kick to the bass and the trebles ring out much more than my previous string of choice Martin SPs. Haven’t tried the mediums, but since the tension is a bit less, might be what you’re looking for.

Archived