Gibson Brands Forums

Repurpose those old pickguards! (and new pickup suggestions)

Buxom

The neck pickup for this old guitar died, so I got the creative wheels turning (once again)

I broke out my grandpa's old Black and Decker hand saw and went to town, and this is what I ended up with.

zTw4d1R.jpg

Now, I need a new pickup. First of all, I want something heavy, and it obviously has to fit Fender specs.

Second of all, I DO NOT want a mini HB. I hate them.

That being said, give me a good suggestion in the range of $50 or so.

Now, I need a new pickup. First of all, I want something heavy, and it obviously has to fit Fender specs.

Second of all, I DO NOT want a mini HB. I hate them.

That being said, give me a good suggestion in the range of $50 or so.

I do not understand your request for suggestions.

I'll throw this out though- for what I understand about what you like, your style and your taste, I would think a Mini would be right up your alley. The Gibby Mini specifically. Crunch city. Mean mids.

Don't know what you mean by "heavy" either.

I "re-purposed" a football shaped piece of an old Strat pg to make an input socket plate for a Tele I built in which the paulowana wood was just too soft to hold the traditional round/countersunk Tele input plate.

It lays on top of the guitar edge, LP style, and over the round hole....the 2 small screws I added fit just outside the hole, each about 1/2 way between the 1/4" socket hole & each end of the "football".....being thin it contours perfectly to the body curvature, and has served w/o issue for over a year now.

When I played the 1st chord on that guitar I shrieked "it LIVES!!! my monster LIVES!!!"

[woot]

It is really difficult to advise because a conventional heavy style is usually played by means of wide HBs. For closer two points of capturing vibrations from a string (as it is in Mini HBs) spectrums of these vibrations become more similar at each other, i.e. a total spectrum of the Mini HB will be poorer than from the wide HB. There are also hum-canceller pickups for such size. But hum-canceller is almost like the sound of a conventional single-coil pickup.

The hottest pickup you are going to find in a Strat size is the Seymour Duncan Lil'59 mini unless there is an active EMG I don't know about.

Bottom line is if you do not want a mini then put in a full size humbucker in.

I think you might be right.

This could be interesting, because the stock hole and stock size of a Tele neck pup is real, real little. There's only so much you can fit in a small space, and that might be the limit.

When it comes to stuffing all that in there for output, there could be a big, BIG difference between what you can stuff in a Strat size and the Tele neck size.

Archived