Gibson Brands Forums

Current Gibson that has the 60's J45/50 sound???

SC_Wannabe

I'm referring to scalloped vs. non-scalloped braces/tone bars. As I understand it, Gibson went to straight (non-scalloped) braces on the J45/50 in the late 50's, which continued through the 60's. Listening to 60's J45/50's on youtube, they have a different (stiffer, more nasaly) sound than my current J50. I really like the straight braced sound, so I'm wondering if anything in the current lineup comes close.

If you're referring to the early '60s, you'll have to take into account the adjustable bridge, either the hollow plastic or rosewood versions. Both also had ceramic or rosewood saddles. These guitars also had bolts, washers and nuts under those white pearl dots on the bridge, adding to the bridge's weight. This affected the tone as well. Most folks don't particularly care for the tone of the adj. bridge with bolts models (though I do). Gibsons equipped thusly tend to be thumpy (in a good way) and are considered to lack treble cut (not by me). Current Gibsons are way better balanced with a brighter overall tone than these old ones, as they lack these features.

You can find reissues with the adjustable bridge. I've played a few, but sadly, they too do not sound like the ones from the '60s.

Fuller's Vintage has done some reissues of the adj bridge LG1 models (X-braced) and a "tri-color burst' J45 with the bat-wing guard. Give 'em a call, they can clue you in on the details. For instant gratification, there's always the vintage market (tread carefully).

Fuller's Vintage has done some reissues of the adj bridge LG1 models (X-braced) and a "tri-color burst' J45 with the bat-wing guard. Give 'em a call, they can clue you in on the details. For instant gratification, there's always the vintage market (tread carefully).

I bought a Gibson Custom Shop 1964 J-45 in Cherry Sunburst with an adjustable bridge from a special order they placed at Fullers. It has the sound and feel I recall of 60s Gibson when they were new...just what was looking for. I changed the tusq saddle in it to bone...still has the sound. Although, the original had a wood or ceramic saddle. The only think it doesn't have is the 60s sound aged 50+ years that the originals now have.

The only difference I can tell is that the neck has a slightly more modern feel than the original 60s ones did. But, since all work hand carved at the time, they all were slightly different within parameters. The neck parameters of mine are in the 60s mold...but, it as stated it does seem to have a slightly more modern feel to it. It might just be that's its newer, though.

Jeremy Fuller at Fullers guitars was very helpful when I bought. He gave me scoop on inner workings of the custom shipment specs Fullers requested/received when they placed the order with Gibson.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

ps. If you go to YouTube and in the search put in "Jazzman Jeff" and then listen to the song "Pipeline" you'll hear the 1964 CS J-45, although the photo shows a 1972 SJ. I'm also playing it on She's a Mystery to Me an Summer Song and Eleanor Rigby (all without photos of it, though.) In the video of Dust in the Wind, you'll see me playing the 64 CS J-45 although in that video I'm playing a classical guitar in the sound track.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, and thanks for pointing me to your youtube page Jeff. The 64 reissue is very interesting, and seems to have more of the sound I'm looking for. It's too bad that Fullers Gibson inventory is currently not available to view online.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, and thanks for pointing me to your youtube page Jeff. The 64 reissue is very interesting, and seems to have more of the sound I'm looking for. It's too bad that Fullers Gibson inventory is currently not available to view online.

I bought my J-50 from Fuller's. They were great and I love mine. They have a Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/fullersguitar

And on that page I found this photobucket link:

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/JERMDADDY/Fullers%20Vintage%20Guitar%20Gibsons/Gibson%20Acoustics

Password=fullers

I bought my J-50 from Fuller's. They were great and I love mine. They have a Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/fullersguitar

And on that page I found this photobucket link:

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/JERMDADDY/Fullers%20Vintage%20Guitar%20Gibsons/Gibson%20Acoustics

Password=fullers

You want 60s sound, this is one that has it, 65 Country Western. I'm in Central Ill also. Send me a message come by and play it. I have a lot of other vintage Gibsons you can try, but nothing else from the 60s.

p6_ueftejvqq_so.jpg

Besides owning early '60s J-45s and 50s way back in the '60s, and having a local pickin' pal with an unmodified '62 J-50 as well as recently owning what Gibson calls an LG1 (actually a B-25N) with the new reissue adjustable bridge, I'll still go on record as stating that the current reissues with adj. bridges do not sound like the originals. Newer ones lack the originals' bridge bolts, laminated bridgeplates and top bracing (new ones are lightly scalloped as is the whole standard slope series).

If you truly want to capture that old '60s adj. bridge J45 or 50 sound, check out eBay. There's almost always a few listed. Happy hunting.

PS: Those '60s slopes came with Gibson's monel (nickel) strings. A set of modern nickel strings will add some old time flavor to even modern Gibsons.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the great information. I've been sorely tempted more than once by a vintage J50, but have never taken the leap. I'd love it if the upcoming J35 had non-scalloped braces, but that's probably a long shot. It seems everything is going away from that type of sound.

TM - than you for your generous offer. I will send you a PM!

I just thought of something else. I owned a Gibson Sheryl Crow Country Western for a few years, and foolishly sold her. I sold her to buy a guitar that I ended up not liking, and it really taught me a lesson. Anyway if you can find these Sheryl Crows there are magical. I recorded this a while back before I sold her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVjld3LL2l8

I just dug through my e-mail correspondence with Jeremy Fuller from when I purchased my 1964 J-45 Custom Shop Reissue from Fullers. Jeremy said the '64 CS Reissue special order from his store that I purchased had the same bracing pattern as the True Vintage except it used lighter bracing, which he said his store had Gibson do to to emulate the 1964 model it copied. In comparison to the J-45 TV version, he advised that unlike the True Vintage J-45 (which was selling at the time), the 1964 J-45 Custom Shop reissue from his store did not use hide glue on the top braces. (Note: I have no clue if the original 1964 J-45 used hide glue on the top braces or not.) Jeremy advised at the time that the 1964 Icon Reissue Model of the J-45 which had simultaneously been availble from Musicians Friend used the same bracing pattern as the one special ordered from his shop, but that Musicians Friend's 1964 Icon version used a less expensive lacquer on it than the Fullers' 1964 J-45 Custom Shop reissue version produced for his store. FYI, he also referenced mine had a FON stamped inside on the neck block to simulate the original versions doing that.

Fullers has a good reputation, so I trust what he said about the 1964 J-45 Custom Shop Reissue he sold to me.

Now...does any of that mean it plays or sounds like an original 1960s J-45? In my opinion it definitely plays like one from my player's perspective. Most likely from its weight and the unique feel to the strings that the adjustable bridge gives to playing. As a youngun, my brother had a 1961 LG3 (x-braced, small body that I definitely latched onto big time when he wasn't around. I can honestly say my 1964 J-45 Custom Shop Reissue has all the great sound attributes of that LG3, only it is fuller and richer sounding due to its larger size. It has the same feel to it, too...only bigger. Looks wise, it definitely closely mirrors a J-45 from that era. I have compared mine side by side to a 1965 J-45 and its for all practical purposes identical except for the Custom Shop logo on the neck to keep everyone honest. Mine, like the 1965 I compared it to is Cherry Sunburst. Very cool when I jam with the guy who owns the 1965 one to see a new and old version side by side. I can't really compare the sound of his original to my reissue. He refuses to change the strings on his, has broken bridge pins in it, and in general is kinda uncared for over the years...making his a lot more thumpier sounding.

Thing is...every guitar sounds a bit different...being a Gibson thang in itself. But, in comparison to that 1961 LG3, mine definitely has the same sound attributes only coming from a bigger bodied guitar...which is what I was looking for with it.

Hope this info helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

There are a number of 1960's J-45's for sale on ebay right now, some in very nice condition at semi-rational prices. At guitar shows, I've seen these go for under $2k in nice shape.

Of course, at some point in the 1960's--seems to vary with model--the nut width went from 1 11/16" (43mm) to 1 9/16" (39.7mm), which some people have trouble with.

If you really want that 60's tone, go vintage.

I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone for all of the input, esp Jeff for the Fullers details!

Sal, your CW sounded really nice, and a square shoulder Gibson is definitely on my "want" list (but probably a Hummingbird).

I've been trying some different strings on my 07 J50 the past several days, and getting some nice tones out of it. I'll hopefully end up with a vintage J50 someday, but it would be hard to sell my current one.

• 2 weeks later...

Point is though I am guessing all of the Fullers and Custom shop 1960s RI's have the standard modern scallop bracing rather than the non-scallop bracing found in the originals.

I would have to agree as I just bought a Custom Shop J45 1960's Heritage Cherry Limited and it has scalloped bracing.

SCwannabe,

I just was at Mandolin Brothers today in Staten Island NY. They have three vintage slope shoulders - a 50s J45, a 50's CW, and a early 50s J-50.

The J-50 was amazing. Chunky Neck. Haunting. I loved it - really loved it. They are asking $5895 which is about $3k more than I have :)

If you have the coin maybe they can budge to $5k? Who knows. I don't know vintage pricing. I just know that guitar was magic beans.

I think this one was it: http://mandoweb.com/Instruments/Gibson-J-50+natural+top+slope-shouldered+acoustic+guitar-1954/3441

I remember the yellowed tuners.

Thanks for the heads-up, Sal. Unfortunately that's about $5500 more than I have in liquid guitar funds right now. [biggrin]

If I eventually buy something, I'd have to sell some instruments, and would realistically be looking in the $2K range at early/mid 60's J50's.

Archived