Gibson Brands Forums

The end of the world as we know it.

heymisterk

I think various multiverse concepts have been explored relatively well in sci fi, from space-going vessels sailing through multiverses that may have differing laws of physics to various "alternative reality" scenarios.

Oddly I recall some of Dad's sci fi stuff from the early '50s that already had tangent parallel universes in concept.

Bottom line is that at this point it's an interesting game for various sorts of speculative fiction as well as for physicists to mess with.

m

I used to associate the end of the world with an asteriod strike and a fiery inferno with immediate death.

Then I heard somebody talking about famine and disease during the end of the world, that worries me because I get cranky when I am hungry, I never skip a meal!!!

There will likely not be another large meteor strike as that sort of stuff stopped in the Late Heavy Bombardment period. I guess it could happen but it's a very low chance, it would likely not destroy the earth because long ago there was a extra planet in the inner solar system that collided with the earth and it didn't destroy the earth. With that info, an object that's only 500 or 600 miles across (largest rocks in the asteroid belt are that big) won't do the planet in. It would be bad news for many inhabitants but the planet would eventually repair itself and life would go on, possibly with us still in the picture.

In a few hundred years or so we should have the tech/will to overcome the great barrier of space or at least be able to travel through our part of the galaxy so we could be able to escape the sun's helium burn that will make it swell in size to reach Mars orbit more/less. There was an estimation that if the early probes we launched in the 1970's were to stay intact (this will never happen) for the entire trip to our nearest star, it would take 50K + years for it to get there, its funny that we will likely have the tech to get there 49K + years before then!

I do believe that even the boldest of 3rd-world countries are not so stupid as to try and start a nuclear war on a large scale, we have had some power plants explode and we are still not to worried about it, it would take a lot of nukes to kill every one off. Other things could happen to us, things like sickness but we've survived mass infections like plague's in the days of blood-letting/medicine so that's unlikely to. Rouge androids would be a possibility, if they got smart enough and decided that we are a threat and need to be eliminated, wouldn't be hard as they could repair/reproduce themselves with out our help and much faster then us to.

Archived