Gibson Brands Forums

The end of the world as we know it.

heymisterk

Sorry guys: I have I have been on a morose kick lately.

What do you think? How do you think the world will end? Or will it ever really "end" in terms of either the planet itself, or we as species? And if it does end, how do you think it will happen?

Will everybody be playing an Ibanez? [flapper]

Seriously...What do you think?

Our planet will be consumed by the sun in about four billion years when it starts to run out of fuel causing it to expand as it froms a red giant star.

If a large meteor strike doesn't plunge the planet in to darkness and cause mass extinctions first then I'm sure mankind will find a way of wiping itself out. Either of these scenarious could happen "whenever."

An end is inevitable.

Assuming there's no huge planetary disaster, it's almost certain we'll overpopulate ourselves into a Malthusian disaster of some sort making all the "save the planet" stuff moot.

There is a degree of question on evolution, but I've a hunch that were 9.5 out of 10 people to keel over tomorrow, the same basic species would be doing what it could while trying to remember how to make a steam engine... then how to make fire... Not with a bang, but a whimper.

We're overdue for the next Yellowstone explosion. Our friends in Russia showed us how close we might be to asteroid problems. Increasing drug-resistant diseases are still making some waves in various places and one need only look at the rapidity of spread of the Black Death years ago to figure how much faster it might be today.

Odd to say, but a mid 40s friend told me last week she's glad she'll be dead in another generation because of where the world is going. I've a hunch that perspective in itself may be an interesting social factor over the next few generations.

If heaven and Earth cannot make things eternal,

How is it possible for man?

He who follows the Tao

Is at one with the Tao.

m

Pretty much as AlanH has said.

Although there will likely be another organism cleansing by a giant meteor before the sun consumes the planet.

But in fairness,, that would be the end of the world as WE know it.. The next generation of organisms will have to worry about the eventual demise of the planet.

No point in worrying about things you can't control.. obladi, oblada.

I'm a solipsist, the world ends when I die.

Boy thats a tough concept to live by, what if your just a element of someone else mind and not the driver? especially scary when your a young solipsist i'd imagine? It's like I always said I'm not worried about dying when it's my turn to go but I just don't want to be on the same freaking airplane as the guy three row's in front of me if it's HIS time to die?

<_< I know that's not what Solpsist really believe in. That depends more on what type you are? But it's still hard to get your brain around more than most concepts. It really only works for me even in concept when the LSD was really tight, or the weed was especially good.

But in fairness,, that would be the end of the world as WE know it.. The next generation of organisms will have to worry about the eventual demise of the planet.

Man is the only living thing that worries about this. There's not another creature that would shed a tear for its demise.

I get sick of hearing about peace and how we're 'multicultural'. It's all rubbish. Mankind is an evil beast. We'll never live in peace as we all think differently. I believe that the world is going through a fundamental change. I believe that the whole world will become Islamist or it will be the biggest(and final)war. There are too many do gooders and greedy corporations out there for the world to carry on. Corruption is rife in every walk of life.

So......the bottom line is.....WE'RE DOOMED!

Yes, I feel that way too. Humanity is hopeless. That's why we are here...

That solipsist thing caught me! Why would a solipsist have chats on a Forum? Who are You talking to after all? Yourself? I used to be one too, then became gnostic. I think one leads to the other. [wink]

As a gnostic I think this World is prison for souls, so I don't really care whether it will live long or vanish in a minute. [biggrin]

Hope You have more optimistic views...

Cheers... Bence

The multiverse theory is kinda neat along these lines, however, even were one to have the capacity of skipping into another not destroyed by some catastrophe, one must needs then ask whether it would be a world in which one might choose to live.

E.g., Imagine skipping into a world where one's counterpart were a coolie as in China a century or so ago while the few political moguls had each injected with a control capsule - and all felt that they lived in a marvelously egalitarian society. And I'm not sure one might be all that comfortable being one of the political moguls in a Machiavellian sort of political brew not atypical for such sorts of governance.

No thanks.

m

The multiverse theory is kinda neat along these lines, however, even were one to have the capacity of skipping into another not destroyed by some catastrophe, one must needs then ask whether it would be a world in which one might choose to live.

E.g., Imagine skipping into a world where one's counterpart were a coolie as in China a century or so ago while the few political moguls had each injected with a control capsule - and all felt that they lived in a marvelously egalitarian society. And I'm not sure one might be all that comfortable being one of the political moguls in a Machiavellian sort of political brew not atypical for such sorts of governance.

No thanks.

m

Hey milod,

In my understanding of the theory, we have no choice or should I say we do all choices at the same time. So technically some mult-verses might have already ended and the us that are in them, are no more. Weird huh?

Glenn

There are several ways I see us going out:

1. Overpopulation, which will cause an increase in diseases, famine, wars for natural resources, accelerated climate change, and deforestation. We will, indeed, go out with a whimper, and it will be damn awful.

2. Nuclear catastrophe. North Korea's latest antics are just the tip of the missile: It could be Iran and Israel; NK and SK; America and...well, pick your enemy. Biggest concern is unguarded missiles in the former Soviet states falling into terrorist hands.

3. Rogue disease somehow unrelated to #1. Antibiotic resistance is a real threat.

Have a great day! [thumbup]

Archived