Gibson Brands Forums

Question to Bigsby users...

Reloaded

Hi folks,

I just recently purchased a Bigsby B7 and Vibramate V7 to install on a Epi Les Paul Standard. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on nut/bridge replacements around getting a Bigsby. Any recommendations from the users on this forum that have experience with a Bigsby on a LP?

Thanks!

Hi folks,

I just recently purchased a Bigsby B7 and Vibramate V7 to install on a Epi Les Paul Standard. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on nut/bridge replacements around getting a Bigsby. Any recommendations from the users on this forum that have experience with a Bigsby on a LP?

Thanks!

Bigsbys can make string changes an adventure until you get used to them

I put one on a Tele with the Bigsby "floating" bridge(included)....added locking tuners....still using the factory nut w/o issue.

No tuning issues, intonation stays fairly stable.

The mass of the Bigsby unit seems to really increase sustain.

Hi and welcome!

I have no expierience with LP and Bigsby, but I have it on my Wildkat and my Riviera.

No problems with tuning stayability on both even without a rollerbridge.

But I still do think about buying roller ones for them.....it´s a question of money. But IF, I´ll buy the Wilkinsons.

Ideally a Bigsby-equipped guitar would have a roller bridge, locking tuners and a slippery Corian or Graph Tech nut, properly cut.

But if the tuners hold reasonably well, the nut would be the first thing I'd look at to improve tuning stability (even without a Bigsby).

I don't have a Bigsby on an LP, but I have Bigsbys on several other guitars. One an Agile AL-3100 and an Agile AL-3000M neckthru with Bigsbys. I used a Vibramate and B7 on my AL-3000M, but only a B70 on the AL-3100. The AL-3100 had a trapeze tailpiece so I didn't need to worry about covering the stop tailpiece holes.

I had no problems with the bridge on the AL-3000M neckthru, but it does have Graph Tech saddle savers. I did buy a Wilkinson roller bridge for it, anticipating problems, but it is still on a shelf waiting for another guitar. I did have a problem with the AL-3100 though. The angle from the top of the saddles on the high "E" side were too steep and hit the back of the bridge causing the guitar to continually go out of tune. So, I used a Wilkinson roller bridge, problem solved. I don't have any tuning issues with any of my guitars with Bigsbys, or any of the other guitars I have with trems for that matter.

I have a G-400 with Maestro and the original saddles. I did take it into the tech for a setup and he filed the saddles. No tuning issues with it either, so you may be able to get by as is. I would leave it alone until you put the Vibramate and B7 on, you will know right away if there is going to be a problem. Or if you are like me and can't wait, buy a Wilkinson bridge, they are only about $30. Some people say they lose sustain with the roller bridges, I really haven't noticed any. I really like the Vibramate and B7, it goes on really easy, good choice!

You may have tuning issues because of the nut. I have Graph Tech nuts on both of the guitars below and no tuning issues. I have a 2 Epi with B70s and original cheap nuts, no tuning issues. The nut may or may not come into play.

Here are a couple of pics.

AL-3000M neckthru with Vibramate and B7:

AL-3000MThruwithB7cropped.jpg

AL-3100 with B70 and Wilkinson roller bridge:

AL-3100RollerBridgecloseupgreat.jpg

ive had them on a few guitars over the years the layest is on a gretsch 5120. the best advice i think youve got so far is a roller bridge. if not then the next best thing in my opinion is a bigsby bridge withthe metal base like the one i have on my ric 325. there is also a rocker bridge which some seem to like. also in the gretsch forum.. they seem to really like a compton bridge. they say this is a big improvement with the bigsby and not only that they say with the compton there is tremendous tone improvement.

Wow! Just incredible the amount of amazing information you folks have come forth with!

I must say that I actually just cancelled my Bigsby/Vibramate purchase, I was getting a feeling in my stomach that somehow it was going to be a much bigger operation for me at this time as an extremely novice guitarist. I think in the future it's still a top upgrade for my LP but I have to put quite a bit more practice into playing it stock and understanding what my LP is now before upgrading it.

I hope this information helps out other potential Bigsby owners in the future and I cannot wait until I have another technical question to ask this amazing forum! :)

Reloaded, welcome to the forum. It is amazing the amount of knowledge that is retained here. Stick around, post some pictures of your gear and get involved. Now, here's your forum warming present. +1

I used this roller bridge on my two Midtown Standard P90s and they work perfectly. I also used the Vibramate, but the V5/B5 combo. Everything went together easily and works perfectly. I was careful to measure everything before starting so that I would have a ballpark idea how it goes back together, especially bridge height.

detail2.JPG

Archived