Gibson Brands Forums

Re-listened to my LG-1

QuestionMark

Lately on this forum, I've referenced my ladder braced LG-1 not sounding all that good. Today, I took it out after not playing it for awhile and was surprised by how good it sounds on its own (as long as I'm not comparing it to an X braced or larger size instrument of mine.) Just thought I'd share that. I've been on the fence with this guitar since I added it to my collection. Is it or is it not a keeper in my collection? Guess it is (as of today). Strange how these guitars get under one's skin.

Any of you ever boot a LG1 out of your collection...only to regret it?

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I get a kick out of folks who worship at the altar of Lord Vintage, but trash talk these old, truly unique Gibsons. How can you drool over a vintage looking guitar, but not appreciate a vintage sounding guitar? "BECAUSE ITS NOT X-BRACED!" That's like dismissing a '69 'Vette because it isn't an EFI turbo with a chip.

Lately on this forum, I've referenced my ladder braced LG-1 not sounding all that good. Today, I took it out after not playing it for awhile and was surprised by how good it sounds on its own (as long as I'm not comparing it to an X braced or larger size instrument of mine.) Just thought I'd share that. I've been on the fence with this guitar since I added it to my collection. Is it or is it not a keeper in my collection? Guess it is (as of today). Strange how these guitars get under one's skin.

Any of you ever boot a LG1 out of your collection...only to regret it?

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

My first good guitar was a late 50/early 60s LG-1. Ladder braced guitars have a different tone, and there are some structural issues that tend to make them less loud than their X-braced brothers. If those are an issue in your music, then they are -- if not, then they aren't:rolleyes:.

Here is a comparison of our LGs -- which includes a ladder braced LG-1 -- that I did last September.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Some of the worst mistakes I have ever made were getting rid of certain guitars. At the time it made sense but down the road - I get tired of not being able to sit down after kicking myself in the butt over and over for letting this one or that one go.

I have been thinking on and off about losing my script logo LG-2. Not saying I have all of a sudden decided it sucks or something but it has been getting bumped down in the pecking order in terms of which guitar I reach for or which goes out the door with me. I seem to be going through one of those phases where I just want to play something with a big banging voice. But knowing how fickle I can be, I am standing pat on what I own at the moment cause my gut tells me saying bye bye to this one would probably be a boo boo.

being left handed and young ... I haven't played any vintage guitars but I really like the beauty of the Arlo Guthrie LG 2 3/4 model .

and It's on my list =D . I respect old designs and old sounding guitars . I don't think I have ever seen a gibson I haven't loved something about !

JC

being left handed and young ... I haven't played any vintage guitars but I really like the beauty of the Arlo Guthrie LG 2 3/4 model .

and It's on my list =D . I respect old designs and old sounding guitars . I don't think I have ever seen a gibson I haven't loved something about !

I have and one of them was an original LG-2 3/4. No volume or presence and one of the most lifeless instruments I have ever played. Then again, the new version has got to be an improvement.

ZW ,

thanks I really hope the new ones are better

JC

Actually, the older ones are better. Here are a couple from the 30s -- a '35 L-00 3/4 and a '39 Kalamazoo Sport Model.

threeforths.jpg

The L-00 3/4 is X -braced and it is a killer, The Zoo is ladder braced and a bit less strong -- but still quite good.

http://vimeo.com/36200712

Let's pick,

-Tom

I recently acquired through trade a '57 LG-1. The ladder braced sound IS different, and I can A/B it with my CF-100 which is somewhat similar to an LG-2 in sound. I am TOTALLY impressed with the LG-1! The sound could be described as "raw" and less sophisticated than the CF, but loud, with lots of sustain, not at all like some of the reviews I've read on our forum before. In addition, it is in virtually MINT condition even though the original faux-alligator case is quite beat, SO, I'm open to suggestions on replacement cases. I also have a ladder braced OM sized Harmony Sovereign 1203 which has a similar feel, although the sounds are different. Both the 1230and the LG-1 have singe piece mahogany backs. and both are put together with hide glue. Both have Baseball-bat chunky necks. Probably adds to the tone!

I recently acquired through trade a '57 LG-1. The ladder braced sound IS different, and I can A/B it with my CF-100 which is somewhat similar to an LG-2 in sound. I am TOTALLY impressed with the LG-1! The sound could be described as "raw" and less sophisticated than the CF, but loud, with lots of sustain, not at all like some of the reviews I've read on our forum before. In addition, it is in virtually MINT condition even though the original faux-alligator case is quite beat, SO, I'm open to suggestions on replacement cases. I also have a ladder braced OM sized Harmony Sovereign 1203 which has a similar feel, although the sounds are different. Both the 1230and the LG-1 have singe piece mahogany backs. and both are put together with hide glue. Both have Baseball-bat chunky necks. Probably adds to the tone!

No Pics!

But congratulations....are you getting into slide playing, or you just wanted it?

No better guitar for the money for Delta Blues fingerpicking and Bottleneck Slide fingerpicking, but I am sure there are other uses. They work well for blues fingerpicking and slide because there are less overtones to clog up the sound and then, less damping and the damping tap dance that requires, and in my case, hardly any damping to stop extra noises with the slide and you can get away with it, if that makes any sense?

And it is a Gibson with a Braz fingerboard and bridge! (perhaps some left off very low grade Braz, but Braz all the same, with a great 50s neck, you say?

And as for a case, I put my cardboard Gator cases in the closet for later sale and bought a 'faux gator classique plastique' classical guitar case from the music shop - I actually took my LG1 with me to try some cases out - luckily, because some classical cases are a bit shallow..... but if your LG1 is mintish, it may be worth a real nice case....

BluesKing777.

EDIT:

Here is a pic of the classical guitar case I got for my LG1:

LG1-9a_zpsd47cf97e.jpg

Today I A/B'd it with my Harmony...the Sovereign may have it in volume (000 size vrs 00 size, Gibson is deeper body) BUT I think the Gibby has the tone. Both have this "airy" sound that is typical for ladder braced guitars, and that RAW attack and DEEP bass. Both have this deep bass on the E and A strings. In a pinch, marooned on an island type scenario, I would probably take the LG-1! Both are kind of time capsule examples, mint condition, I am doubly blessed!

A little relevant info I stumbled upon on the web History of LG series...very good!:

Late 1940's LG-1. Note the narrow 14.25" body width.

LG-0, LG-1, LG-2, LG-3, B-25, B-25N Flattops

Collectibility: the LG-2, LG-3, due to their "X" bracing, are much better instruments than the LG-0, LG-1 models. B-25 and B-25N models, although X-braced, are constructed with adjustable bridges and other 1960's features that make them undesirable. Unfortunately, since all models are essentially student models with narrow 14 1/8" wide bodies (2" narrower than a J-45, and .5" narrower than an L-00) and are quite plentiful, they are not real collectible (though the script logo LG-2/LG-3 are quite good for their size).

Script logo (pre-1947) LG-2, LG-3: D+, all others: D--.

LG-0: 1958 to 1974. mahogany top, ladder braced, natural.

LG-1: 1947 to 1968, spruce top, ladder braced, sunburst.

LG-2: 1942 to 1962. X braced spruce top, sunburst (replaced by B-25)

LG-3: 1946 to 1963 X braced spruce top, natural (replaced by B-25N)

B-25, B-25N: 1962 to 1977. X braced spruce top.

All are 14 1/8" wide, mahogany back and sides (except for some WW2 models with maple back and sides), round back-shaped mahogany neck (except during WW2, when maple necks were used), dot fingerboard inlays, 24.75" scale length, silkscreen gold decal "Gibson" logo. The "X" braced models (LG-2, LG-3) are decent little guitars. The ladder braced LG-0 and LG-1 are not very good, essentially beginner's guitars.

1958 LG-0 introduction specs:

Mahogany top, mahogany back, laminate mahogany sides, straight ladder bracing, black bridge pins, screw-on black pickguard, tortoise binding on top and back, 3 on-a-plate tuners, rectangle rosewood bridge, rosewood fingerboard, 20 frets total, natural finish. Bridge pad was spruce, which unfortunately would wear out from the string's ball-ends.

In 1962 plastic bridge used. $85 list price.

In 1963 an injection molded styrene pickguard was used.

In 1966 rosewood bridge with adjustable saddle was used.

In 1969 spruce top and bottom belly bridge.

In 1974 discontinued.

1947 LG-1 introduction specs:

Spruce top, straight ladder bracing, mahogany back, laminate mahogany sides, mahogany neck, rectangle bridge with black pins, single bound top and back, dark sunburst finish (darker than the LG-2, to hide the lower quality spruce top).

In 1955 larger pickguard with point, and 20 frets total.

In 1962 plastic top belly bridge. $105 list price.

Discontinued in 1968.

1942 LG-2 introduction specs:

Spruce single "X" braced top, solid mahogany back and sides, multiple bound top and back, fire strip pickguard, 19 total frets, rosewood fingerboard, rectangle rosewood bridge with black bridge pins, two pearl dots on bridge, dot fingerboard inlays, 3 on-a-plate tuners, sunburst finish. Some war-time models have a mahogany top.

In 1943 standard tortoise pickguard, single bound top and back.

In 1947 the "banner" is dropped (still a script "Gibson" peghead logo).

In 1948 goes to a "block" Gibson peghead logo.

In 1949 a 3/4 scale (23") LG-2 was introduced, with ladder bracing.

In 1955 larger pickguard with point, 20 frets total, lower braces.

In 1961 has cherry sunburst finish, adjustable top belly bridge, white pins, $115.

In late 1962 replaced by B-25.

1950s and early LG-2 models are actually a decent little guitar, since it has "X" bracing.

1946 LG-3 introduction specs:

Spruce single "X" braced top, solid mahogany back and sides, multiple bound top, single bound back, teardrop tortoise pickguard, 19 total frets, rosewood fingerboard, rectangle rosewood bridge with white bridge pins, two pearl dots on bridge, dot fingerboard inlays, 3 on-a-plate tuners, natural finish. The LG-3 is essentially an LG-2 with a natural top finish. Note some literature has the LG-3 as being introduced in 1942; this is incorrect (no natural finish Gibson guitars were available during WW2).

In 1947 the "banner" is dropped (still a script "Gibson" peghead logo).

In 1948 goes to a "block" Gibson peghead logo.

In 1955 larger pickguard with point, 20 frets total, lower braces.

In 1961 adjustable top belly bridge.

In 1962 bridge becomes plastic, $127.50 list price.

In 1963 Replaced by B-25N.

1962 B-25 introduction specs:

Continuation of the LG-2 with minor changes such as triple bound w/b/w top, cherry sunburst top, plastic bridge, laminated bridge plate, thick pickguard.

Discontinued in 1977.

1962 B-25N introduction specs:

Basically the B-25 was the continuation of the LG-3 with minor changes such as cherry finish on the back and sides (only), natural top, plastic bridge, laminated bridge plate, thick pickguard.

Discontinued in 1977.

Taken from Vintage Guitars Info's Gibson Flat top Model Descriptions - History, collecting Gibson flattop vintage guitars. Private vintage guitar collector. Pictures, history for flat top Gibson vintage guitars. Copyright 1995-2002 all rights reserved. - Contact the vintage guitar info guy

Archived