Gibson Brands Forums

Made in the USA

brannon67

I try to buy USA made products as much as possible, that includes my guitars. Do any of you guys do that? Although my 12 string Larrivee was made in Canada, which is cool with me.

All my guitars since 1986 have been made in the USA.

Although I am from the UK, USA guitars are very appealing.

There are some great UK guitars, but I have never owned one.

If possible, I like to buy from UK, US, Canada, for reasons of quality,

name brand, mojo, and better resale appeal/value.

Yesterday, I was at Home Depot, it was after "closing", which cause a couple of employees to come to me, obviously an effort to get me out the door.

Well, When they asked me what I was looking for, I told then I was trying to find a wallboard saw that was "made in the USA". I expected them to tell me they don't have it, or it was unlikely, and hurry me up. (Naturally, I was the one being rude...it was after closing). But instead, they commented they get this question a lot, and began searching and looking, reading the packaging, looking for a "made in USA" saw that really was only 10 bucks.

It seems insignificant, but what it tells me is the word is out, and public opinion is such that it's important.

An educated public is more likely to vote more wisely.

I will pay more to get something Made in the USA label. But I am also not going to spend hour after hour looking for that label.

Every guitar I own was made in the USA. Not saying it is reasonable (I love 1960s Made in Japan electrics and things like Kent soundhole pickups) but I just cannot bring myself to own an offshore made guitar - and I consider Canada offshore. Not slamming them - as I said I do not even find it reasonable.

The vast majority of my guitar dollars have been spent on MIA gits. But I also buy others.

I want people in other countries to be able to afford to buy MIA stuff that gets exported. :-)

Seriously, I'm a value guy. The MIA gits I own represented the best overall value at the time I purchased them. A '98 Am Dlx Strat

that I bought used in 2000 and a '99 B7 I also bought new in 2000. I still have both of these.

In the interim I've bought Asian Ovation, Fender, Takamine, Ibanez and most recently an Epiphone LP. Out of these,

I still have the Takamine and the Epiphone.

Absolutely.

I'm a value guy in that I value quality goods made here in the USA. I vote, with my dollars. If I can find good quality items produced here in the USA, I'm willing to go the extra mile to search them out and spend more for those products. In addition to guitars and other big ticket items, basics such as socks, shoes, jeans, shirts, jackets, hats and other everyday items are all still made here in the USA and are typically of much higher quality than the stuff you'll find in the mall (I freakin' hate malls) or the big box stores (I freakin' hate big box stores). I can't buy as much quantity with my dollars, but I am buying better quality and I'm actually doing something about keeping and growing jobs here in the USA. If I lived in a different county, I'd still be doing the same thing — attempting to buy as many locally made goods as possible.

Archived