Gibson Brands Forums

'53 J50

Dave F

What's the story of your finding a guitar that is 60 years old!

I bought it from a guitar broker in Florida with a 14 day return policy.

As soon as I got it, I took it to a luthier who happens to be vintage Gibson freak.

It was not exactly as described, but it was all good and well worth the price.

He had it listed as a '56, but the FON has it dated as a '53.

The neck being a 20 fret raised concern but the luthier said he would bet his house it was the original neck.

Just another example of a Gibson not matching the specs as quite a few forum members have noted.

I bought it from a guitar broker in Florida with a 14 day return policy.

As soon as I got it, I took it to a luthier who happens to be vintage Gibson freak.

It was not exactly as described, but it was all good and well worth the price.

He had it listed as a '56, but the FON has it dated as a '53.

The neck being a 20 fret raised concern but the luthier said he would bet his house it was the original neck.

Just another example of a Gibson not matching the specs as quite a few forum members have noted.

What is the FON prefix? 1953 and 1956 are easy to tell apart both on features and FON. A '53 will have a headstock that is tapered in profile, a '56 will not. The 20-fret board was transitional in 1954 and 1955, but not in 1953. The board could have been replaced, of course, as could the pickguard.

What is the FON prefix? 1953 and 1956 are easy to tell apart both on features and FON. A '53 will have a headstock that is tapered in profile, a '56 will not. The 20-fret board was transitional in 1954 and 1955, but not in 1953. The board could have been replaced, of course, as could the pickguard.

The FON prefix is 'Y'. It has the taller scalloped bracing. The pickguard has been replaced with the same size.

The luthier showed me what to look for on the neck and this was was definitely the original neck.

It has not had or needs a neck reset. It has had the frets replaced.

One crack on the back has been repaired.

The bridge looks original but has been reglued.

Inside inspection shows everything clean.

That is one clean & nice sounding J-50. Guy can play, too. Enjoy.

The guy's name is RIck Kinman. He's the guitar player for a local band called KY Myle.

If you google him you may get his uncle who also plays around town with local legend Scotty Anderson.

Archived