Gibson Brands Forums

2012 sg standard, high and low E slipping off fingerboard

headies

Same with my 2013 LP standard, nut slot for high E is cut too close to the binding. I checked my older Gibson neck bindings and it's definitely wider nut from low E to high E. ... did a new nut within a week of buying it.

Gibson should take note and reprogram that Plek robot!!!! Hmmm...maybe they just build them geetars and not play them.

Same with my 2013 LP standard, nut slot for high E is cut too close to the binding. I checked my older Gibson neck bindings and it's definitely wider nut from low E to high E. ... did a new nut within a week of buying it.

Gibson should take note and reprogram that Plek robot!!!! Hmmm...maybe they just build them geetars and not play them.

Sometimes I came to this conclusion, too, especially when finding poorly cut nuts, too wide bevels on fret wires, or serious electrical defects which are obvious in an instant when checking pickup switch positions and controls during playing. It all should have taken only seconds for the quality control to find out. :(

Well, while improperly cut nuts, ARE a factory problem, and should be caught there,

"electical" and loose parts, can happen anywhere after shipping! My dealer shipped

my Gibson "Lucille" from Wichita, to Los Angeles (where I was living, at that time)

and I know these guys, and how they set-up, and check guitars before they ever ship

one, to a customer. When "Lucille" arrived (via Fed Ex), the toggle switch knob

was loose, the varitone plate/ring was loose, and would freely spin. And 3 of the

4 volume/tone knobs were loose, and the "pointers" were freely spinning. Didn't take

anything but tightening the washers, to fix the problem. But, I'm certain it happped

in transit, probably in the airplane, or possibly in transit via the trucks. I did

call, my dealer, just to be sure. They told me everything was tight, when it left,

but that they were not surprised, in how it arrived. By the way, it was packed very

well, the Gibson box, was double boxed inside another. So..."Stuff happens."

CB

It looks like your string spacing is fine, I wouldn't start messing with that. If you look at the minor fret wear on the first couple of frets, it's probably getting hung up there because the plastic nibs on the binding will wear at a slower rate than the fret material causing the string to bind. Also there is a very slight gap there anyway. Gibson is now starting to make some models that have binding with the fret wire overlapping the plastic binding the way it is on models with no binding. I'm sure this is partly why.

I had this sort of problem when I was first learning how to play guitar.

I remember it was on an older Tele I had back then.

The maple neck had aged and the frets were starting to have very tiny gaps under them.

I said to myself - "damn, look how the string got caught under the fret when I bend that way!"

Moral of the story / advice: ALWAYS BEND, (OR DO PULL-OFF'S), TOWARDS THE CENTER OF THE NECK.

• 9 months later...

I just bought a new 2013 Gibson SG Deluxe (orange) and my guitar's high e string falls off repeatedly.

Gibson just released the remaining stock of these guitars and priced them to move, so I picked one up. The instrument was purchased from a LARGE, primarily internet-based instrument dealer in Indiana...I'm sure everyone knows to whom I'm referring. While the guitar is beautiful, made from top-shelf materials and sounds fantastic, there appear to be two fundamental problems afflicting the guitar's neck. I had a local luthier take a look at the instrument before I contacted the retailer and he diagnosed the following:

1) The frets are beveled inward towards the center of the fingerboard inconsistently. Some are beveled much more than others and this significantly reduces the effective finger strike range in certain areas of the fretboard. Amazingly enough, the 2nd & 3rd frets are the worst of the bunch.

2) The nut is cut improperly. All six strings are shifted towards the high e string and this leaves the low e with copious space towards the top edge of the fingerboard and the high with almost none.

I sent my luthier's analysis and a picture to the Indiana based company who sold me the guitar and they immediately sent me a FedEx return label and asked me to ship it back for repairs. They will be replacing multiple frets and re-cutting the nut.

I could have just gotten my money refunded and bought another SG however, there weren't any 2013 SG Deluxes left for the taking. Since I really dig the aesthetic of my guitar and love Bigsby tremolos (I have several), I figured I'd go the repair route first. If the guitar comes back and it still isn't right, then I'll get my money refunded. While I'm annoyed at Gibson for releasing what is supposed to be a high-end SG in this condition, I'm also slightly annoyed at the retailer and their vaunted "55-point inspection". Somewhere along the line, these problems should have been caught and fixed. Nonetheless, the retailer has been very responsive about the situation so far, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, for the time being.

--Pangloss

I just bought a new 2013 Gibson SG Deluxe (orange) and my guitar's high e string falls off repeatedly.

Gibson just released the remaining stock of these guitars and priced them to move, so I picked one up. The instrument was purchased from a LARGE, primarily internet-based instrument dealer in Indiana...I'm sure everyone knows to whom I'm referring. While the guitar is beautiful, made from top-shelf materials and sounds fantastic, there appear to be two fundamental problems afflicting the guitar's neck. I had a local luthier take a look at the instrument before I contacted the retailer and he diagnosed the following:

1) The frets are beveled inward towards the center of the fingerboard inconsistently. Some are beveled much more than others and this significantly reduces the effective finger strike range in certain areas of the fretboard. Amazingly enough, the 2nd & 3rd frets are the worst of the bunch.

2) The nut is cut improperly. All six strings are shifted towards the high e string and this leaves the low e with copious space towards the top edge of the fingerboard and the high with almost none.

I sent my luthier's analysis and a picture to the Indiana based company who sold me the guitar and they immediately sent me a FedEx return label and asked me to ship it back for repairs. They will be replacing multiple frets and re-cutting the nut.

I could have just gotten my money refunded and bought another SG however, there weren't any 2013 SG Deluxes left for the taking. Since I really dig the aesthetic of my guitar and love Bigsby tremolos (I have several), I figured I'd go the repair route first. If the guitar comes back and it still isn't right, then I'll get my money refunded. While I'm annoyed at Gibson for releasing what is supposed to be a high-end SG in this condition, I'm also slightly annoyed at the retailer and their vaunted "55-point inspection". Somewhere along the line, these problems should have been caught and fixed. Nonetheless, the retailer has been very responsive about the situation so far, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, for the time being.

--Pangloss

My personal experience with my 2013 SG Standard:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/118573-gibson-sg-standard-2013-and-high-e-string-issues/

Consider also to change bridge saddles to correct strings positioning and centering all along the fretboard...

If you've to change the nut, most probably you would also change saddles with new ones where slots are not right in the center, according to new nut slots.

They produce crap nuts and install wrongly centered bridges, it seems.

Same issues here.

A good luthier solved every problem under warranty, by the way.

And I'm happy, since I love my 2013 SG.

But, at the end, this is not what I expected from Gibson.

1 or 2 guitars over 1000, could be an acceptable "scrap items" rate.

But there are too many all around...

How to solve the issue? Forget overfret binding on new guitars.

Oh, by the way...THIS topic is the one where I found information about the issues when I was looking for help.... :)

Nice to give my 2 cents here.

• 5 weeks later...

In the end, my 2013 SG Deluxe is getting a full re-fret, Plek setup and a new nut...all on my dime. My luthier (he's an actual trained and accredited luthier btw) said that Gibson blew it at the factory. According to him, the frets were beveled by hand and someone made a right mess of my instrument in the process. Honestly, considering the price I paid for the guitar and even taking into account the money I'm laying out for the repair work described above, this guitar is still a good deal for me but I can see how others might disagree. I could have returned it for a full refund, but decided to lay out the cash and just get the SG fixed by someone I trusted. There's just music in that thar guitar and even in it's damaged state, it spoke to me.

The large, mostly internet based retailer in Indiana which sold me the guitar did NOTHING for me. Initially, I sent them the instrument back and they worked on it in their shop. When it was returned, I was mortified to see that all they did was a LCP (level, crown and polish) on the frets. This alleviated several dead spots but did nothing to address the real problem from which my SG was suffering. I even made a video demonstrating the issues with the fingerboard, and no remuneration was ever offered. Though my sales rep instantly admitted that the guitar was a mess and it made both Gibson and his company (Sweetwater...oops, did I say that or just think it? :unsure: ) look bad, that was all I ever heard from them. Hence, please take those vaunted "55-point inspection(s)" for what they are...MARKETING!

I'm somewhat glad to see that others have experienced this. Not that misery loves company, but I knew that I was not the worst player in the world. The first time this happened was while trying out my friend's new LP Std. I'd never played any Gibson before and I thought I'd really get crazy with it. Sure enough, I constantly slipped the high E over the edge of the fretboard right when I was getting in to it. I tried bending to the center of the the board but that would take a lot of retraining. Anyway, I've since gotten an SG and have decided that Gibsons, in my hands at least, need a bit lighter touch. I realize that there are a lot of shredders who play Gibsons so I guess it's mostly me.

Thankfully my SG has never caused me any trouble. It's an unbound Special so maybe that's another clue.

Now when I feel the need to strangle a guitar neck I go for the Tele. More precision, grab the SG.

Just throwing in my experiences. Good luck.

Bill

• 1 month later...

Final Update: A refretting made my 2013 SG Deluxe play perfectly and I love the guitar BUT there was one final wrinkle with which I needed to deal; my guitar wasn't grounded properly! It was pretty simple for my tech to find the ground wire, under the Bigsby, and clean it. When the ground wire was initially installed, Gibson painted it into place and it wasn't making physical contact with the tailpiece. This caused a very loud single-coil like hum unless I made contact with the pickup covers or the cable housing. [confused]

Geesh, this is my first Gibson and I can't say it was a clean experience, by any means. Ultimately, I got a great guitar but it would have been nice if these issues had been dealt with by the manufacturer and/or dealer.

I say try a heavier gauge string set, and concentrate on your technique.

I occasionally had this problem on an acoustic and brought it up with my tech. As others have said, I figured the nut was cut too wide. My tech just smiled and started giving me a lecture about technique. dry.gif

Archived