Gibson Brands Forums

Tremelo picking

heymisterk

So, I am trying to tackle this, with the help of of my guitar teacher. He gave me some pointers, and told me to practice.

I am really struggling with this especially when up on the B and high E strings: I just struggle to get a consistent rhythm going.

Do any of you have advice, or any YouTube vids you thought were particularly helpful?

Thanks!

Yes indeed...

Most tuition omits to mention the common sense approach when developing tremolo picking...

On an axis 90deg (upward) to the strings

Rotate the pick to 45deg...

Or have a laugh with classical 'p,a,m,i' picking a la 'Recuerdos de la Alhambra'

V

:-({|=

Hello!

That's the technique I use most for rapid playing.

I find it more challenging on low strings. When picking the low-E or A, I have the surface of pick perpendicular to the top of the guitar. Moving on to the higher strings I position my wrist to achieve a slight angle between the surface of the pick and the surface of the guitar. The tip of the pick meets the strings at 40-45 degrees, but sometimes even flat.

That's how I warm up: I choose a key, and play all it's modes on all six strings with tremelo-picking.

Also, I found out that using lighter picks for heavier strings works better and vice versa.

Cheers... Bence

Thanks, Versatile and Bence!

Interestingly, my guitar teacher had me keeping my pick nearly flat with the string; I am not sure if it is really helping me or not. I can pretty much nail the tremolo picking on the low E string, but when I go to the B and E strings, all bets are off.

As an exercise, my guitar teacher has me trying to play "that part" of "Eruption" (which he told me was initially used as a violin warm-up!)

And "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" moves me like no other piece of music.

As a self-taught player I don't know where one technique classification ends and another begins; so what exactly is "tremolo" picking?

is this another case where the word "tremolo" is being miss used? I believe it means a pulsating variation in volume (like on Link Wray - The Ramble).

I'm assuming you mean fast picking up and down? I guess it's just about training the muscles of you right hand to control the tempo appropriately.

If you haven't already, try a Jazz III pick. makes it much easier to control the power you apply to fast picking.

Thanks, Versatile and Bence!

Interestingly, my guitar teacher had me keeping my pick nearly flat with the string; I am not sure if it is really helping me or not. I can pretty much nail the tremolo picking on the low E string, but when I go to the B and E strings, all bets are off.

The trick here is to only let the very end of the pick's tip contacting the strings. Also to hold the pick firmly. You may also try to draw circles with the tip of the pick around the strings. Whatever works out best for You. Try it flat, try different angles. It might sound funny: but the success of the application of this technique highly depends on ones anatomy. Whatever feels comfortable for Your wrist. Doing it wrong will cause pain in the forearm.

Cheers... Bence

As a self-taught player I don't know where one technique classification ends and another begins; so what exactly is "tremolo" picking?

is this another case where the word "tremolo" is being miss used? I believe it means a pulsating variation in volume (like on Link Wray - The Ramble).

I'm assuming you mean fast picking up and down? I guess it's just about training the muscles of you right hand to control the tempo appropriately.

If you haven't already, try a Jazz III pick. makes it much easier to control the power you apply to fast picking.

Hello! I assume, we are discussing rapid alternating picking here. Cheers... Bence

also, never underestimate the power of a fresh pick. i find it way easier to play with a sharp pick as opposed to a dull one.

good to start out slow and build up speed. play relaxed and loose. you gotta pretty much play all the time until the guitar becomes an extension of your limbs. lots of practice makes your hands and arms more comfortable moving around your axe.

strength/weight training will make it easier to fret notes and grip your pick. you gotta use muscle to play fast.

finally, playing should be fun. if playing hard and fast ends up being a pain in the you-know-what for you, there's always other ways to play. the technique requires alot of time and perserverance. not something you learn overnight. i've been trying for 20 years. some days are better than others....

Speed picking, thats what I call it. Dont really matter what the name of it is, it's when your moving your elbow more than your wrist to get a shock-absorber/spring type effect. Timing is more important (to an extent) then accuracy with your picking arm.

Tremolo is a fascinating subject in music...

Applicable to vocalists(linked to vibrato) as well as bowed strings :-({|= , piano chords, mandolins, balalaikas, bouzoukis etc

Somewhat mis-named in the tremolo(whammy) guitar context...

Vox AC30's etc had a tremolo effect built in for a rapid pseudo vibrato effect

Many accordions are tuned 'tremolo' for extra punch and vibrancy in their tone...as are some harmonicas and 'blues harps'

V

:-({|=

Archived