Gibson Brands Forums

Compromise

Izzy

Kaleb...

I get where you're coming from too...

I think in the late 50s and 60s there was a huge push for all kinds of guitars from plexiglass to strange shapes.

Me, I always figured that playability was the major "thing" for any guitar, although that will vary by the individual and his/her physical geometry. For example, although I think it's neat, I couldn't imagine playing a rectangular piece, let alone a V.

Secondly then are reliability of the guitar and whether it sounds more or less as a guitar, be it acoustic, AE of some sort or electric.

But "ugly"... again, too much in the eye of the beholder except for things such as a bad fret job.

Although I've gotta say that some of the "cheap" orange crate wood guitars of the "mail order" era were not even as cute as a kid's cigar box guitar. When I was in college the overbuilt Stella cheapie 12 was quite frequently refinished 'cuz it looked so bad.

m

How about two I almost bought (but didn't, probably because they were "ugly")?

First, a green sparkly Clapton Stratocaster. Pretty new guitars (debuted in 1988, this was 1990), I'd never played one. Played in a local shop and it felt so good- I mean the kind of guitar that just inspires, things rolled off my fingers that I'd never played before. I was actually demoing an amp (the new reissue Fender Bassman). That green sparkly thing was just to gaudy, I thought it ugly. Now, I wish I'd bought it!

Second one (actually the first, this was in the same store as above, but about 8 years or so earlier). A single cutaway Squire Bullet. This thing was sort of ugly, so ugly it was "cute". And cheap. And had a decent feel and not a bad sound actually. Also short scale. With your recent Teisco acquisition (which many folks used to think of as "ugly"), maybe you should try a vintage Bullet if you can find one?

Whatever, I suggest going for the sound and the feel. After all, you can always close your eyes!

How about two I almost bought (but didn't, probably because they were "ugly")?

First, a green sparkly Clapton Stratocaster. Pretty new guitars (debuted in 1988, this was 1990), I'd never played one. Played in a local shop and it felt so good- I mean the kind of guitar that just inspires, things rolled off my fingers that I'd never played before. I was actually demoing an amp (the new reissue Fender Bassman). That green sparkly thing was just to gaudy, I thought it ugly. Now, I wish I'd bought it!

Second one (actually the first, this was in the same store as above, but about 8 years or so earlier). A single cutaway Squire Bullet. This thing was sort of ugly, so ugly it was "cute". And cheap. And had a decent feel and not a bad sound actually. Also short scale. With your recent Teisco acquisition (which many folks used to think of as "ugly"), maybe you should try a vintage Bullet if you can find one?

Whatever, I suggest going for the sound and the feel. After all, you can always close your eyes!

I think you can still get one of these, (I think Clapton is playing one at Crossroads, this year!)

SQMHK-PNK_front.jpg

I think you can still get one of these, (I think Clapton is playing one at Crossroads, this year!

SQMHK-PNK_front.jpg

Lol...

I see your username, and then I see the HK Strat from Elderly, are you by any chance a Michiganian? (I grew up shopping at Elderly, from their first year in business in the lower (basement) level of a retail center in East Lansing, to the huge space (an ex- US Post Office building) in Lansing that they currently occupy. GREAT music store, and THE best place in the World to buy a Martin Guitar.

Sorry for the thread hijack Izzy, but the post before mine reminded me, have you checked out a Duo-Sonic? Very cool guitars!

Lol...

I see your username, and then I see the HK Strat from Elderly, are you by any chance a Michiganian? (I grew up shopping at Elderly, from their first year in business in the lower (basement) level of a retail center in East Lansing, to the huge space (an ex- US Post Office building) in Lansing that they currently occupy. GREAT music store, and THE best place in the World to buy a Martin Guitar.

Sorry for the thread hijack Izzy, but the post before mine reminded me, have you checked out a Duo-Sonic? Very cool guitars!

T...in keeping with Izzy's thread.... I ask if anyone found that the Hello Kitty Strat fit their hands, body, style and sound EXACTLY..... would they take it on stage with them?

(I think not)

So the people who say how a guitar looks doesn't matter.....well... you know.......

Oh...and I'm born & raised in the SF Bay Area! I did live in Pennsylvania and Oklahoma (Army), but pretty much always

lived right here.

There are some musicians, that love to use what some may call "ugly" guitars,

and/or "cheap"(usually Vintage) guitars, as well. The guitar player for "The Black Keys,"

is just one that comes to mind. They often have a very distinct sound/tone. So...

"Whatever works"...works for me.

CB

There are some musicians, that love to use what some may call "ugly" guitars,

and/or "cheap"(usually Vintage) guitars, as well. The guitar player for "The Black Keys,"

is just one that comes to mind. They often have a very distinct sound/tone. So...

"Whatever works"...works for me.

CB

Buddy Miller is another.

Archived