Gibson Brands Forums

Compromise

Izzy

I went guitar shoping today. I want a short scale 'cause sometimes the awesomeness of my Gibbies is overwhelming.

N E ways: Some pretty guitars sounded like poo and some poo looking guitars sounded pretty.

It is SO unfair! I went to check out this tiny ADORABLE Pawnshop Mustang Special and it is SO the right feel but sounds...like a toy. I tried this UGLY Pawnshop '72 and it sounded awesomeness. I'm not sure I'd want to admit I own this thing...if I get it.

Do you have guitars that are just plain ugly but you rock out on?

Is there a guitar you have because you fell for her before your ears could catch up to your eyes?

No butt ugly guitars (well I dont think anyway :)).. I used to have a Gary Moore BFG that split opinion I thought it looked awesome...

This one.. it was a BEAST.. but I sold it cos I never got used to the neck

DSC01173.jpg

The only one I HAD to have was my 2008 Standard.. I always wanted one that colour with a slight flame.. I went into the shop and the SECOND I saw it I had to try it.. The SECOND I tried it I knew I had to have it (even though I had already made the decisison :)).. This one

DSC01258.jpg

I even had the urge for the first time to mod it a bit and changed the white bits to black so it now looks like this

DSC01788.jpg

In fact I was really unfair to a guitar cos of that 2008.. I had a Flying V that I was just getting to know really but I came home, grabbed it and part exachanged it to get my LP.. It was like a crazy frenzy, I had like 50 mins till the shop closed and it would take 30 to get there and back.. I dont regret it though. I LOVE my 2008 Stadard.

This is the V I had..

CopyofDSC00951_zpse4d4155c.jpg

While on a Strat hunt a few years ago I fell in love at first sight with an Aerodyne Strat,it had a beautiful natural finish on beautifully grained wood and also had flawless binding.When I picked it up first it felt great in my hands but when I plugged it in the tone just didn't cut it for me in fact it was the thinnest sounding Strat that I ever played which is really uncommon on a MIJ Strat.I finally settled for a Jimmie Vaughn.Izzy did you try out any old style Mustangs with 2 single coil pickups?I have a '65 Mustang and have often used it for gigging because it sounds just brilliant and has so many variable settings for a broad tonal range.If you haven't tried one out,I think that you should give one a try-that short scale neck is perfect for people like me who have smaller hands plus it allows for much faster riffing because you don't have to over-extend your fingers to play some riffs and chords.

While on a Strat hunt a few years ago I fell in love at first sight with an Aerodyne Strat,it had a beautiful natural finish on beautifully grained wood and also had flawless binding.When I picked it up first it felt great in my hands but when I plugged it in the tone just didn't cut it for me in fact it was the thinnest sounding Strat that I ever played which is really uncommon on a MIJ Strat.I finally settled for a Jimmie Vaughn.Izzy did you try out any old style Mustangs with 2 single coil pickups?I have a '65 Mustang and have often used it for gigging because it sounds just brilliant and has so many variable settings for a broad tonal range.If you haven't tried one out,I think that you should give one a try-that short scale neck is perfect for people like me who have smaller hands plus it allows for much faster riffing because you don't have to over-extend your fingers to play some riffs and chords.

OMG, I saw the Aerodyne years ago and thought it looked pimp, but never played one...go figure about the poor sound.

I tried the regular Mustangs with the single pups and those do feel awesome. They are pretty, to boot, but for some reason...I wasn't feeling them. Through the tube amp (clean) they didn't sound...ballsy enough? I was like, "didn't Kurt use these with Nirvana?" and the clerk said, "must have used peddals."

you can slap lotsa' makeup & a smokin' hot hairdo on any ugly guitar to make it more presentable.......

I only have 1 i'd call "ugly", but it plays great and sounds like divine thunder!

GarysCam147.jpg

you can't hear "pretty"...so do looks really matter that much?

I still have my much storied priceless series 79 "The Paul" hanging around in the shed. And, while it isn't quite yoogely, it is as bare boned as they come. But the darned thing plays like a dream action wise, feels great in the hand and just plain sounds good. When I used to be allowed outside and I would have The Duckling with me for fun, folks would quietly smile when they first saw it. But after they heard it and played they always gave it a passing mark and a nod. So I keep the woody thing all polished up and wearing a good shine to this day. - I say, if you like a particular guitar then keep it and happily play it.

Steve

The shed?

My 79 "The SG" is hanging on the wall.

Ready for battle.

Murph, you know from the old days I keep The Paul ready for action. The shed, is the home studio on the lower level of my once trendy 70ies bi-level - I am about to put on the market thanks to a greedy neighbor called N. Ky. University.

Steve

Do you have guitars that are just plain ugly but you rock out on?

Is there a guitar you have because you fell for her before your ears could catch up to your eyes?

I actually didn't even try out what is my absolute favourite all-time guitar the first three times I saw it on the shop wall and for a few reasons; looks being one.

I didn't like the colour; nor did I like the figure which was too close to being 'pin-stripe' for my liking.

As soon as I tried it, though, I knew it was 'The One'.

It isn't exactly ugly, though, and it's looks have, in fact, sort of grown on me over time but it's still a million miles from being the prettiest LP I've ever seen.

I'm sure you all know what it looks like by now so there's no need to post that same snap yet again.......lol!

P.

you can slap lotsa' makeup & a smokin' hot hairdo on any ugly guitar to make it more presentable.......

I only have 1 i'd call "ugly", but it plays great and sounds like divine thunder!

you can't hear "pretty"...so do looks really matter that much?

My answer to that would be,, not in the least. I have never bought a guitar on looks,, ever.

And I have bought at least one I hated the color.

I appreciate a pretty guitar but my reasons for buying them are more utilitarian than cosmetic.

Then again, I have my guitar strapped up real high so I can play it so maybe I'm just a geek.

And I don't care.

Ugly is, of course, pretty much in the eye of the beholder. Ditto playability and tone.

Short scale?

I have a Harmony single pup archtop from the '50s that I gigged with a lot in the '70s when it seemed a good combination of decent sound, easy picking and little to lose if it broke in horrid weather for the country/rock trio. It played easily for a combination of lead/rhythm necessary.

Note that even 30 years ago I played very gently on light strings. The action is quite low.

The pup is single pole, sounds a bit like nothing else. In the neck position it can sound mellow or cranking the tone knob it actually could get a bit of bluesy bite, although it'd never sound like a tele bridge pup.

It had roughly a 24-inch scale and a 1 3/4 inch nut. The neck was built like a baseball bat, but the short scale made it pretty doggone easy to play regardless. We all might have mixed emotion about a relatively wider nut.

But... from a small/medium size hand male, I think a short scale can make pretty good music pretty easily. I'd also say that it depends on how you are playing a given gig. I've concluded that up to around the 7th fret doing chords, old-style "honky tonk" rhythm and such, it worked as well or better than "better" guitars.

Izzy, I'd say that if a short scale plays well and the feel and tone do what you want for what you're playing, "cheap" or "ugly" is kinda a moot point.

http://harmony.demont.net/guitars/H65/189.htm

m

In the case of guitars, ugly is in the ear of the beholder...Some of the ugliest guitars from the 50s and 60s are now considered very cool, the Danelectrics and the Silvertones, the imports that were considered junk at the time...go with your heart, ugly is cool....if it plays well for you, makes the sound your looking for and it's ugly, so what? It may turn out to be anti thief insurance!

Damn! Never thought I'd want to play the cello, but then again I've spent all these years thinking a cello was something very different. Can't wait 'till my nearby violin shop opens in the morning. I'll probably be up all night...........Anyways, I've got an old and getting older Garrison G40. Don't know if it's ugly, but it is truly a "plain Jane." Still, I found-out years ago that the not-too-pretty girls tend to appreciate the attention more and when they sing, it sure is pretty......Maybe the most easy-to-play guitar I've ever owned.

Guest Farnsbarns

I have a similar story to Pippy. Iced Tea is not my favorite burst by any streach of the imagination but when I played mine I had to have it. Indeed it is growing on me too.

In the case of guitars, ugly is in the ear of the beholder...Some of the ugliest guitars from the 50s and 60s are now considered very cool, the Danelectrics and the Silvertones, the imports that were considered junk at the time...go with your heart, ugly is cool....if it plays well for you, makes the sound your looking for and it's ugly, so what? It may turn out to be anti thief insurance!

Too true...what's ugly today may save me from losng her and tomorrow she may become a coveted item.

There's no such thing as an ugly guitar in my book. Guitars are either good lookin' or just cool lookin'.

My tastes are the opposite of a lot of people, though. I find PRS 10 tops disgusting. Beautiful, but disgusting at the same time. They look great, I just don't care for em'. I'm a rock n' roller, not Santana.

Also, people tend to look down on guitars with graphics on them (some of the stuff ESP does for example). I love guitars like that.

Archived