Gibson Brands Forums

at a loss don't know what to do.......

bongofury

I just got my ace epiphone les paul back from the guitar store set up..

he said he seated the loose frets and set it up but I still have major

fret buzzz that is so annoying. I dont know what to do or what

should be my next step to fix this problem please help?

thanks

Bongo

You didn't bring it to Guitar Center for a repair, did you ? They're the worst as far as repairs are concerned. Try setting the bridge height with Epiphone's standards according to the manual which should be as follows , at the 12th fret -Bass side 6/64ths Treble side 4/64ths . See how that works . Also, take a good long look at the neck and see if there's any bow in it. Chances are you might need a truss rod adjustment too.

I'm not comfortable doing adjustments myself sure to screw it up worse.

I'm just so very very disappointed I love the looks and sound but the buzz just takes right over.

I have other guitars they buzz nowhere near this. I guess I could let them try one more time.

To set it up. If not I will have to trade it back...there was a guy on you tube with a ultra 3 and it buzzed

So bad he had to trade it back for a USA Gibson

Thanks for help.

Bongo

these threads pop up almost a few times a week.

with out being able to see these guitars and look at them individually it's impossible for even the most knowledgeable among us to really do more than give you a check list of things that solved it most of the time for us and refer to web links that have lots of good setup info.

where you are not comfortable doing this right now, then you really are at the mercy of those that are. Dropping something off, and picking it up with out having the ability to let the tech see how you are playing and what the results you are looking for are,, is not really easy either. Need to find someone you can sit down with and say "here's the deal".

Try to find a local setup guy that you can talk to, show him your guitar, and what you are struggling with. (and yea,, Guitar Center aint the place to do this unfortunately)

so many things come in to the equation, not the least of which is how hard a persons attack is and you'd be amazed with what a 1/4 turn of a truss rod will do here...

Good luck with this - be patient, find someone that can help.

these threads pop up almost a few times a week.

with out being able to see these guitars and look at them individually it's impossible for even the most knowledgeable among us to really do more than give you a check list of things that solved it most of the time for us and refer to web links that have lots of good setup info.

where you are not comfortable doing this right now, then you really are at the mercy of those that are. Dropping something off, and picking it up with out having the ability to let the tech see how you are playing and what the results you are looking for are,, is not really easy either. Need to find someone you can sit down with and say "here's the deal".

Try to find a local setup guy that you can talk to, show him your guitar, and what you are struggling with. (and yea,, Guitar Center aint the place to do this unfortunately)

so many things come in to the equation, not the least of which is how hard a persons attack is and you'd be amazed with what a 1/4 turn of a truss rod will do here...

Good luck with this - be patient, find someone that can help.

Yes, it is a good idea to find a qualified tech in your area who is willing to let you sit in while he's working and let him show you exactly what he's doing , in case you ever have any problems like that again. Good idea !

Fret buzz is really subjective. No offense to anyone trying to help, but people here saying the OP didnt get a proper setup havent seen the guitar or played it, and therefore cant really offer a lot advice-wise. I have some fret buzz on my guitars because I like my action low, it doesnt bother me, but some people it would. Some people cant stand even the tinest amount of buzz while others dont have a problem with it.

There could be nothing wrong with the guitar at all, I'd take it back to the tech and tell him exactly what you do and dont want. See what he says, maybe with the way you want the action set it's simply gonna buzz a bit..

I have other guitars they buzz nowhere near this.

If you have fret buzz with other guitars, you need to do something. That's not right. You need to take control of the situation and get Dan Erlewine's book 'How to make your electric guitar play great' from StewMac. Loaded with pics and text. No skill or experience required, nor special tools for most of it. Anyone can, and should, do basic set ups themselves. It is not hard, very simple, logical things. I used to be helpless too, and got tired of being at the mercy of techs, spending money and not getting what I want. Now's the time to take charge.

If you have fret buzz with other guitars, you need to do something. That's not right. You need to take control of the situation and get Dan Erlewine's book 'How to make your electric guitar play great' from StewMac. Loaded with pics and text. No skill or experience required, nor special tools for most of it. Anyone can, and should, do basic set ups themselves. It is not hard, very simple, logical things. I used to be helpless too, and got tired of being at the mercy of techs, spending money and not getting what I want. Now's the time to take charge.

Great Book.

Also check out frets.com Here is the BUZZ Diagnosis page: http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/BuzzDiagnosis/buzzintro.html

wow thanks for all the help I will take all the advice given.

first i will go back to the tech show him then and if he says its normal. I

will find another maybe independant guy I will also buy the book

to make my self more knowledgable maybe i can tweek it myself.

and if all that fails i will take the lemon back.

thanks again for all the help.

i will update

bongo

It's really frustrating man, we do get that.

I will usually do my own setups, and I've done setups for people that have asked. Neck relief, action, intonation, (the basics)

Anything like fret leveling, dressing a new nut, (eg: where I don't have the proper training or tools) I take it some where.

I'm lucky enough to have a few people close by that are both excellent and honest.

But that said I can't tell the number of times a student will mention a similar issue, I play their guitar, "Wait No buzzing, how did you do that?"

In this case, almost always their attack.

Because they are learning, they're just applying too elbow grease. I'm not implying this is the issue, but, I've seen it time after time.

Food for thought I guess..

yes you could be right i am a fairly new guitarist and really eager

i brought it back to be checked out and they ageed it buzzing a little more then normal, they raised the action

alittle less buzz but still there,i personally think its the neck type, because the utra 3s and another epimodel

have this d type neck and in past post they complained about fret buzz.

while in the shop I played other epi les pauls with the traditional neck and they didn't have this excessive buzz.

they also said some guitars just have that buzz more? anyway Im guess i will just try and ignore it and enjoy the

guitar they cant get me another to try because only 1000 made and i havent seen any around.

thanks again for all the help I will deffinetly try some of the suggestions posted

cheers

Bongo

they also said some guitars just have that buzz more

He's incompetent. Guitars don't "just buzz". It might not have enough relief in the neck (you can measure that with feeler gauges), or it might have bad fretwork, or the bridge height might not be quite right, but there is a reason for it which someone who knows guitars would be able to figure out pretty quickly. It's a simple, geometrical problem. The string vibrates in an ellipse and the frets (ideally) should describe the same kind of curve underneath.

It's up to you what you want to do but if it's really bad I'd insist either on a proper setup from someone who actually knows what they're doing or a refund.

a fret rocker ( stew macs name not mine ) will reveal any high or low frets. it is just a straight edge machined at diff lenghts to rest on 3 frets at a time across the board. if indeed the frets are the cause it will show high or low frets. I could also say,,, loosen strings, relieve any backbow or front bow, (flat neck, use a straight edge) check frets, apply slight relief, nut above bridge, string up and adjust bridge height and intonation, a quarter works well at the 12th fret for a feeler guage with finger on 1st fret. This is not as easy as I make it sound. But again it is not rocket science just plain geometry and physics.

HTH

Archived