Gibson Brands Forums

limited lifetime warranty

phred

what exactly does the limited lifetime warranty cover?

i am looking at an epi 339. guitar center has a coupon to save 50 bucks, so i am thinking of getting one. i am sure that the guys at g.c. are going to try to sell me an extended warranty. doesn't make sense to me on a guitar with a "lifetime" warranty.

any thoughts?

Phred,

It's your choice, but....

I stand with Joe.

G.C. has a 30 day return policy. If it has a real problem it should show up in the first week.

If you know what you are looking at, don't even take it home if it is not as you want. (perfect)

Otherwise, if you don't know everything to look for, have someone look at it who does.

Willy

Extended warrantees, in general, are a ripoff.

Spent a lot of years in the retail biz, and the income from the extended warranty was like money in the bank.

If $hit's gonna go wrong, it's probably gonna be within the original warranty period. My experience anyway. YMMV.

Personally, if a store or retailer is not willing to execute the warrenty something already has, then I wouldn't expect them to execute a warrenty they would sell me.

Of corse, a warrenty, to me anyway, is only as good as it's execution. If they can't (or won't) execute, then the warrenty isn't worth the paper it's written on.

GC has no repair facilities, nor can guarrentee the model will still be available if and when replacement is needed. Therefore, no ability to execute when and if the need arises. So, what can they offer beyong the standard Epi factory warrenty?

Extended warrantees, in general, are a ripoff.

Here's more info on the factory warranty: http://www.epiphone.com/News-Features/News/2008/Epiphone-s-Limited-Lifetime-Warranty.aspx

You have to follow the registration process through model selection before you can actually see the text of the warranty.

In a nutshell, everything is covered for life except electronics. Electronics warranty is 1 year.

An extended warranty= wasted money, BUT if they are selling you a "service plan" where you get a certain amount of setups and adjustments per year over a certain period of time, well that may be worth it if you are not a good wrench. Usually the price of one setup could be about $50-$75. A setup plan might be $50-$75 for two years of setups, ie, if you use it, it is worth it, that is if you don't do your own setups, truss rod adjusting etc.

what exactly does the limited lifetime warranty cover?

i am looking at an epi 339. guitar center has a coupon to save 50 bucks, so i am thinking of getting one. i am sure that the guys at g.c. are going to try to sell me an extended warranty. doesn't make sense to me on a guitar with a "lifetime" warranty.

any thoughts?

I think you need to be careful with Gibson USA warranty thing if you are in Canada. If you buy product from the USA, they will not honour that warranty I think. You are covered for (usually) a year with the vendor up here.

Friend of mine has a ltd edition Lifeson with issues after the fact and he said he cannot deal with Gibsoon USA on it because of that. I stand to be corrected, but if so, it seems sort of a rip to me...

Congrats! and it should be fine man..

as has been advised, give it a really complete inspection when you first receive it.

any store should be reasonable in helping customers who gets any problems to thier attention immediately.

Wait 3 or 4 months, and they're not going to be nearly as eager to help you out.

Let us know what's going on!

Archived