Gibson Brands Forums

Who's Got Birdseye ???

JuanCarlosVejar

anyone got examples of gibson acoustics with Birdseye Maple ?

This won't be much help, but I thought I'd mention that the inner baffles of my HG-22 have birdseye figure. I take this as an indication that it was considered a flaw back in the early-'30s, since they stuck it where no one could see it.

-- Bob R

I'm fascinated with bird's eyes!

Me too, Robert, me too.

I know she's a bit old for most of you guys, but she'll always be Sweet Judy Blue Eyes to me:

Now.....

judy-collins_zpsc44e971d.jpg

and then....

JudyCollins2_zps5e8f6a3f.jpg

(and my wife knows the story, so don't be a smart azz..... That was 45 years ago...... but the eyes haven't changed....)

I own a Custom Shop Birdseye AJ

I don't know if I can get this to work from my iPhone...

This is how it looks:

maple_aj_front_full.jpg

maple_aj_back_full.jpg

maple_aj_back_close.jpg

This is how it sounds:

Birdseye AJ

More of a tiger than a Birdseye, surely? Not a huge fan of Birdseye visuals to be honest. I've also heard the story of it being used where it couldn't be seen back in the past.

Ren once told me that birdseye is very rare. If I'm remembering it correctly, he said that only 1 in 1000 maple trees produce birdseye.

Edit: I checked my notes and it was actually 1 in 10,000 maples produce birdseye.

As far as the tone JC, it's a real boomer. I'm not very good describing tones but the best I can come up with is that it's as loud as a regular AJ but with a clearer tone. It's a combination of all the best rosewood AJ qualities combined with the best maple qualities.

It's one of my favorite guitars that I own.

Archived