Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom QUALITY CONTROL problem's 2013

BLUEBLOODRED

This is for all of you Gibson custom lover's! I purchased a Gibson Les Paul custom off of Musiciansfriend.com in Emerald Green, arrived at my doorstep, opened the box, inspected the guitar, and this is what I found... This guitar should of never left the Gibson custom shop.DSCF2979_zps7654d1e4.jpgDSCF2980_zpsa408abc1.jpgDSCF2982_zps7be2d148.jpgDSCF2985_zps9869acde.jpg

After calling musiciansfriend and telling them about the quality of this instrument, they offered to send another guitar to replace the poorly built one, well, let's just say the second one arrived today, and I'm not even gonna bother taking photos... It was absolutely disgusting to see 2 custom shop guitars, from the same location, have the exact same flaw's. I am at a loss for words... Tried posting this stuff up on the mylespaul.com forum's, and immediately got attacked as being a troller, a harmony central rep... etc. To hell with that, forum nazi's are retarded. So I switched over here to see what you all thought about this guitar. I am currently waiting for UPS to pick these up and take them back to their original location, in the warehouse at musiciansfriend. I sure hope some unlucky bastard doesn't purchase these guitars, and not inspect them as I have. I am very disturbed by this buying experience to say the least, I will never buy a guitar via internet again. First time, and definitely my last time. As for Gibson custom, I think the pictures speak for themselves, and it's very sad. My favorite guitar in the world, is no longer being built custom luthiers in which it is advertised... This look's like a production line model at best. I've attached a pic of my collection so that you know I am not a Gibson hater, and I truly hope this quality control issue get's resolved immediately. If anybody at GIBSON view's this post, please pass this on to somebody that actually cares, and somebody that is willing to make a difference! I will not be purchasing any Gibson custom guitars until this quality control issue is addressed. DSCF2974_zps3e596b26.jpg

I forgot to mention that there is green paint on the upper portion of the neck, basically residual spray off that never got cleaned from the fret's, look's kind of cool, but is not custom shop quality. I contacted gibson, spoke with two separate associates, and all I was told, was that my complaint had been documented, and that there's no guarantee that I will get a call back... WTF? I've spent nearly 30 grand on Gibson guitars over my career as a musician, and I can't even get a call back from a Gibson supervisor? Interesting. Let's just hope this get's resolved, quickly.

I hate to tell you, but the "Gibson Custom Shop" IS a production line. There isn't one guy standing there building your guitar from start to finish. There are few if any people who would be chracterized as "luthiers" in any of the Gibson shops. They are skilled production workers doing specific repetitive tasks, and nothing more.

I am truly sorry to see what has become of one of the best guitars made in America.. Gibson was my very first 1964 ES335 and I have had several since however not one new one since late 68.. I think the internet has opened a place to dump poor Quality and has made it very difficult on players who ike myself have grown older and live hours away from any Music store or even Better a Great PAWN SHOP.. >> MY last guitar was from a Custom Lutherier who builds to spec for clients.. even here I have had to take a CUSTOM BUILT guitar to my TECH and have the neck completely re-worked... I also do not wish to be able to return a poorly built guitar I just want what I paid for.... WHen you purchasea guitar the rule is TOUCH IT PLAY IT INSPECT IT.. I am guitly as are you of being lazy and not taking the several hours to go do that.. I have recently 2001 purchased a custom shop FENDER and I have no complaints it was flawless and exactly if not even better then I expected.. Gibson is living on it's name and on players like myself who have not purchased new in a long long time from the factory.. THE problem is I truly want an ES 335-339 and Live nowhere near a shop that has one in stock.. I am going to have my TECH in MEMPHIS find me the guitar and purchase it then have it shipped.. at least he has known me for over 35 years and I trust him.. GOOD LUCK with future purchases..*)o(* b r toad

Must be my imagination......

Maybe you could describe the issues?

The images do not make it obvious what you are talking about.

Perhaps someone with a little more photographic knowledge could help you make your case a little stronger.

DG

All tuning key's on the back of the headstock are either off center, or crooked. All tuning peg's on the top of the head stock are not aligned, and do not align with the binding. There is green paint on 5 fret wires, the neck joint is poorly glued, and sanded. A few orange peel skin mark's around the binding which is no big deal, and the inlay work on the fretboard is off centered, the whole way down the fretboard. When the string's are tuned to 440 E, they do not align correctly with the inlays... Some might think I'm going a little extreme on this, but it's kind of like one thing after another... I'm not gonna purchase a guitar of this quality, and I had a deep down gut feeling that this guitar was just an instrument that Gibson didn't care about, just sent it out the gates for a sale. What solidified my hunch, was the second guitar that came back to me from musiciansfriend, with similar craftsmanship. Unfortunate, but nobody at Gibson seem's to give a ish, not a call back yet, no email, nothing.... Guess the old one's really are the good ones, gonna have a tough time finding myself a great les paul now... Especially a new one, hopefully I'll find a gem from someone on fleabay...

I hate to tell you, but the "Gibson Custom Shop" IS a production line. There isn't one guy standing there building your guitar from start to finish. There are few if any people who would be characterized as "luthiers" in any of the Gibson shops. They are skilled production workers doing specific repetitive tasks, and nothing more.

Sorry you guitar isn't up to snuff for you BBR! Those things would both me if I'd dropped big cash on a guitar too. I don't believe ALL them coming off the line wouldn't meet with your approval however. Sometimes I do wonder if some guitars do get routed/graded and go to different sellers. I wouldn't give a discounter (and I like MF) the most premo gear as they prob. are like a Walmart or Home Despot, and beat the vendors up bad on prices for BIG volume purchases.

Nick, How far back in years would you have to go for a luthier to have built a single guitar from start/finish at Gibson, Fender, Ric, Gretsch etc? I thought ALL of them were production pieces with skilled production luthiers building their step. I guess I don't see how a manufacturer could afford to have one person labor over one guitar under $10,000. You know at a 50 point margin that would still only be a $5000 dealer cost guitar and the vendor needs a 2x-3x margin with labor & materials included. How many hours could someone work, at a manufacturing level that is, for $2000? Can you build a git from start to buff in 20 hrs? I wouldn't think so but maybe if you're building several at a time and doing them in single step processes.

Aster

I guess you have to decide for yourself if the "flaws" ruin the guitar and how high your expectations for perfection should be when purchasing anonymously from a mass market big box store. I don't buy every guitar in person, but I do ask the store employee to personally go through it and do an in-hand evaluation of it while I'm on the phone. You obviously can't do that with MF, M123 ZZ, AMS, etc. Even so, they are not usually going to be as picky as I am and they may not see the imperfections that I might pick up when it is my hard-earned money spent.

I just got a CS Ebony Flying Custom and there are some egregious mistakes: like the bevel cut on the pickguard has melted plastic from the black layer vulcanized into the white layer probably because they ran it through the router too fast and heated it up; the pickup surround has a deep power screwdriver worm hole where someone was too careless when doing the install/adjustment, etc. Because they are cosmetic things and don't effect the playability, I'm not going to return it, but it does have a buzzkill effect on the rush of opening and gazing at my new guitar that costs over $4,200 MAP. The QC is better on some of my PRS SE (Korean) guitars that I paid $400 for.

While not a CS guitar, I passed on the 50th anniversary Firebird because the paint quality is so heinous. Every one I've seen looks like the factory forgot to fill the wood before painting and the gold finish has a mottled and spray-can-at-home effect. Pride in American craftsmanship is apparently at an all time low in Tennessee.

Very interesting. I understand exactly what you are saying, but.....actually it's not that bad compared to some.

Mine for instance.

Here's the back headstock of my 2009 Custom - the machines are quite visibly out of line:

LPheadrear_zpsa60468aa.jpg

I think the same guy that did mine, did yours - he probably does 30-50 a day like that while talking to the bloke next to him.

A highly regarded English guitar maker told me in 2005 the quality of Gibsons he was seeing even then, had gone down.

A pity they can't just use a simple template but perhaps no-one at Gibson has even noticed, cares or dares to say anything about the guy lining them up badly by eye.

Despite this I still think my guitar is a wonderful instrument (well I would, wouldn't I), tunes and plays fine and the head looks ok from the front. I got it via ebay so wasn't about to send it back; the seller did provide 40+ photos so it was there to see.

There are a couple other small faults too.

It would be nice to think someone at Gibson will see this thread and alert those who could do something about it.

How hard can it be to make a card template which would completely ensure 100% accurate line-up of machine heads?

Not hard at all. But I doubt if anyone will.

So now let me show you the machines of a £200 (GBP) Korean-made guitar I bought last year:

Shineheadrear_zpscadc2abc.jpg

No contest, even allowing for my rotten photo. The cheap Korean guitar is better finished - the machine heads are accurately aligned and follow the curve of the headstock sides exactly. More attention has been paid, it's that simple - and for a tenth of the price.

There's an old saying - "to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar" which really applies here.

And this on a forum which Gibson pays for!!! Still, they say all publicity is good publicity, don't they?

Gibson quality keeps getting worse and worse. They need to fire the retards working in the Tennessee factory, but apparently the fat old dudes managing things are also doing a crappy job.

The poor quality and the lack of ebony as a fingerboard option has caused me to buy a lot of luthier built custom guitars over the last couple years. They are all perfect, with more attention to detail, higher quality and more options, and most are cheaper than something similar from Gibson Custom.

The American made Fenders I buy typically cost less than a Gibson Custom guitar, and I never find a problem with one.

This is (quite sought after) 1971 Reissue of 1954 Std., all original..

Gibson%20Les%20Paul%201971%2054%20Reissue%20e.jpg

shouldn´t have left factory or what ?? [lol]

Just stop complaining about minor "issues" - if she plays well !

I have an American Deluxe Fender that was 1/2 the cost of my LP Custom but it was perfect in every aspect. The Custom I bought had a faulty volume pot, a chip in the finish, and a nut so poorly cut it was impossible to tune. After dealing with Gibson on getting the issues fixed (they only warrantied the vol pot) it was pretty clear they really could care less about QC and the issues with, what I consider, the flagship of the Gibson brand.

I have an American Deluxe Fender that was 1/2 the cost of my LP Custom but it was perfect in every aspect. The Custom I bought had a faulty volume pot, a chip in the finish, and a nut so poorly cut it was impossible to tune. After dealing with Gibson on getting the issues fixed (they only warrantied the vol pot) it was pretty clear they really could care less about QC and the issues with, what I consider, the flagship of the Gibson brand.

Sounds to me, like you bought that Gibson "sight unseen?" Like from a "big box" retailer?

IF that's true, all the more reason NOT to do that. Play the guitar(s) you want to buy, first!

All the "warts" will show up, prior to purchase, and not after...with all the ensuing hassles,

as well. Gibson's "nut" issues, are well known, and documented on this forum. Why they don't

fix that, plek'd or not, is amazing, to me. The chip, and volume pot issue, may have been done

in transit, or somewhere between the factory, and your hands. I rarely, if ever, buy any guitars,

from the big box stores! If I was to do that, it would be from Sweetwater, or Wildwood Guitars,

only. But, I have a great (family owned) dealer, so that's not likely to happen.

Good Luck,

CB

Guest Farnsbarns

Sounds to me, like you bought that Gibson "sight unseen?" Like from a "big box" retailer?

IF that's true, all the more reason NOT to do that. Play the guitar(s) you want to buy, first!

All the "warts" will show up, prior to purchase, and not after...with all the ensuing hassles,

as well. Gibson's "nut" issues, are well known, and documented on this forum. Why they don't

fix that, plek'd or not, is amazing, to me. The chip, and volume pot issue, may have been done

in transit, or somewhere between the factory, and your hands. I rarely, if ever, buy any guitars,

from the big box stores! If I was to do that, it would be from Sweetwater, or Wildwood Guitars,

only. But, I have a great (family owned) dealer, so that's not likely to happen.

Good Luck,

CB

Yep, don't buy guitars any way other than face to face. At least not expensive ones.

Archived