Gibson Brands Forums

Seeking info about my Les Paul Custom

Dreamtheater

Last year I purchased (in a private sale) a 1976 Les Paul Custom guitar in Tobacco burst finish. The guitar does show some signs of wear being 36 years old. I always say that it gives the guitar "character". One thing about this guitar that puzzles me is that on the back of the headstock there are some numbers "etched" and I do not know the significance (if any) of what it means. I know it is not the serial number as that is on the top. The person i bought the guitar said it was there when He got it. He had no idea of the significance of the numbers. I am wondering if it is related to the manufacture of the guitar, or anything to do with the factory it was built in. The thing is, the same numbers appear stenciled on the outside of the "chainsaw" guitar case. I am hoping someone can shed some light of whether this was done when the guitar was built or someone defaced this awesome instrument. Here is a picture:

41b33685-62fb-4560-b400-9787b0be29e8_zps6c2bc750.jpg

1367281597[/url]' post='1368475']

Last year I purchased (in a private sale) a 1976 Les Paul Custom guitar in Tobacco burst finish. The guitar does show some signs of wear being 36 years old. I always say that it gives the guitar "character". One thing about this guitar that puzzles me is that on the back of the headstock there are some numbers "etched" and I do not know the significance (if any) of what it means. I know it is not the serial number as that is on the top. The person i bought the guitar said it was there when He got it. He had no idea of the significance of the numbers. I am wondering if it is related to the manufacture of the guitar, or anything to do with the factory it was built in. The thing is, the same numbers appear stenciled on the outside of the "chainsaw" guitar case. I am hoping someone can shed some light of whether this was done when the guitar was built or someone defaced this awesome instrument. Here is a link with a picture: http://img.photobuck...zps95d9892b.jpg

That's a social security number an anti-theft measure.

Wow, never thought of that! Guess that makes sense, but man, what a thing to do to a guitar like this! Well, I still love the guitar. Just could never figure out what it was. How bad would you say it affects the value? I mean even though the intent is understandable, it is still defaced by etching the wood. I don't imagine it could be (or should be) buffed out.

1367282627[/url]' post='1368484']

Wow, never thought of that! Guess that makes sense, but man, what a thing to do to a guitar like this! Well, I still love the guitar. Just could never figure out what it was. How bad would you say it affects the value? I mean even though the intent is understandable, it is still defaced by etching the wood. I don't imagine it could be (or should be) buffed out.

It probably doesn't do much to the value. Doing anything drastic to get rid of it might be worse. If it bothers you it could be an easy fix. I might take it to a good luthier and let them give you some opinions about the least invasive way to get rid of it. If you plan to keep it for some time a repair might not do much to the overall value.

In the 70's and 80's, and sometime into the 90's, the police departments were recommending you etch your SS# (or drivers license number) into everything you own, although anybody with HALF a brain would have taken the time to remove four screws and engraved it into the control cavity!

In the 70's and 80's, and sometime into the 90's, the police departments were recommending you etch your SS# (or drivers license number) into everything you own, although anybody with HALF a brain would have taken the time to remove four screws and engraved it into the control cavity!

well krapp.....this proves i have half a brain....

everything of value that i own has id markings hidden in more than 1 place.

Maybe in the 70's, 80's, 90's

but anyone with half a brain in the "new millennium" would realize that all someone needs for identity theft is a SSN or the DL.

Wonder how many Target visa cards i could create with that number?

You need some better identity numbers than those two.

So the next question will be, Will it hurt the value of the guitar to get those numbers removed from a Nitro refinish?

Guest Farnsbarns

If it were mine I'd think about either buffing it out, or off it's too deep, drop filling with thinned nitro and then buffing it back, a little bit of swirling with some scotch brite and no one would ever know.

Thanks everyone for the input and feedback. It actually doesn't bother me that much that it is there, it piqued my interest to find out what the numbers were. Now that I have clarification, I am all good. BTW, I love this guitar. Has nice low action and plays really nice. BTW, here is a picture of the guitar Here: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/99106-your-first-les-paul/page__view__findpost__p__1368499

The numbers 4,8,15,16,23,42 are etched in the back of my guitar. I find it strange because they weren't there when i bought the guitar, and i got it new!

One too many bottles of beer after work? ;)

(Oh! I am going to bet those numbers on lottery this weekend.)

Cheers... Bence

The numbers 4,8,15,16,23,42 are etched in the back of my guitar. I find it strange because they weren't there when i bought the guitar, and i got it new!

The worst possible lottery numbers, and the plot behind Lost.

Many years ago, I scribed my "Operation Identifacation Number" on the botom of my pickgard of my '69 Les Paul Deluxe. I had no interest in vintage guitars at the time. Years later, when I was trying to date it, I got all excited when I found some markings! It was like finding my own Easter eggs.......... I

The worst possible lottery numbers, and the plot behind Lost.

sorry i couldn't resist...especially since i JUST started watching the show. I'm on season 2, no spoilers.

Archived