Gibson Brands Forums

What happened to the ES-345?

charlie brown

While I'm thinking about it why did Gibson drop the varitone from the 355 when they reissued it in recent years? I realize that the varitone was not a very popular thing for the majority of players but just curious..........jim in Maine

You answered your own question--it wasn't a very popular thing for the majority of players. However I've seen recent ES-355's both with and without, for varying degrees of "recent."

The 355 was offered in mono and stereo versions originally, the mono versions generally lacking the varitone - and the mono version command a premium over the stereo on the vintage market. Makes sense therefore to reissue the version that is most in demand. Personally I quite like the varitone but the stereo is a pain, unless it's the late '70s / Lucille version that has two outputs on the rim rather than a single stereo jack on the front. Unless you actually use the stereo output, in which case it's the cat's pajamas - but you'd be in a pretty small minority!

I did use the stereo output with my 1971 ES-355, back before there were channel-switching amps.

Gibson has made these guitars in stereo and mono and with or without the Varitone seemingly at random. My first 355 was a '62 mono without Varitione and I had my '94 Custom Shop ES-355 built the same way. My '72 had stereo and Varitone as did a Custom Shop '85. I had three from '96, two in mono without and one in stereo with. Personally I found the Varitone pretty useless and rarely moved it off position 1 and once I started using channel-switching amps I made up some cables with the stereo plug on the guitar end shorted tip to ring to play the stereo guitars in mono.

Danny W.

Can I ask you what kind of volume/tone knobs did they put on your 345 if I may? A little like a who really cares moment for most people, but my question is why Gibson is putting what at least to me looks like kind of funky knobs that Gibson never used back in the late 50's..........my 59 historic 335 has the original reissue all black volume/tone knobs which at least to my anal way of thinking is what Gibson should be putting on their historically 'correct' models ESPECIALLY for what they are charging these days...........jim in Maine

Jim, I don't think the recent version of the ES-345, like the one I have, is striving for accuracy to any particular vintage model's details. To my eyes, the overall body shape and the inlays look a lot different than older guitars. For me, the guitar still looks (and sounds and feels) good enough that I don't care about those differences.

Here's a view of the front of my 345...I guess those knobs are more akin to the 1960s kind. The long pickguard is a recall of the early models. however.

8691017028_bd890ea27d_z.jpg

Jim, I don't think the recent version of the ES-345, like the one I have, is striving for accuracy to any particular vintage model's details. To my eyes, the overall body shape and the inlays look a lot different than older guitars. For me, the guitar still looks (and sounds and feels) good enough that I don't care about those differences.

Here's a view of the front of my 345...I guess those knobs are more akin to the 1960s kind. The long pickguard is a recall of the early models. however.

8691017028_bd890ea27d_z.jpg

[woot] Lovely!!! [love][love][love]

CB

I was at an out of town Gibson dealer last weekend and found a new 2009 ES-345 in dark walnut hanging on the wall. The dealer who I know and have bought from in the past quoted me $2500.00 and since it's out of my state I don't have to pay tax. Now I can't get the thing out of my mind. I don't really need it but I want, I want, I want! I am not sure I can hold out much longer. Any insight on the 2009 models?

Thanks John

Charlie,

Gibson Custom Shop will build either an ES-345 or ES-355 as a custom order. Two years ago I had them build me an ES-355 to my specs and I love it.

Where did the ES-345 go? Is it still available, by special order,

or on hiatus, from production...temporarily, or permanent? [unsure]

CB

I was at an out of town Gibson dealer last weekend and found a new 2009 ES-345 in dark walnut hanging on the wall. The dealer who I know and have bought from in the past quoted me $2500.00 and since it's out of my state I don't have to pay tax. Now I can't get the thing out of my mind. I don't really need it but I want, I want, I want! I am not sure I can hold out much longer. Any insight on the 2009 models?

Thanks John

I'm really pleased with the 2011 pictured above. I love the feel of the neck (medium-slim, nicely rounded) and it sounds great. I don't know if the Varitone has been re-enginieered at all or if it's the same as originally, but it does not seem to get in the way of the tone at all, and I know that on some guitars it's like a muffler. Setting #1 on my guitar roars like a lion, just as any 335 would do. I love settings 3,4, and 6 too. Not sure about a loud stage situation, but at home or on a coffee house kind of stage, it's gorgeous.

Oh, and the other thing I love about the newer model is the dual jacks which allows you to play in mono or stereo very easily. I haven't even tried stereo mode yet, as I only own one amp.

When I bought my 335 back in 02 they had "one" 345 also and the rosewood board on it just wasn't a great offering for Rosewood. It hung around a long time.

That said you don't see many and I agree never "two" in the same place for me. There's one used for sale here right now on craigslist. The fellow is asking 2300. but the guitar doesn't have the original case and it has a couple dings, one in particular which was a minor structural issue. Oh its a 2005 Memphis build also. So apparently Gibson has been making a few.

I made the guy at least what I thought was a decent offer, but to no avail. They do hold their value though.

Its one of those Gibson's I never owned and always thought I should after seeing Freddie King rock his.

BB was using an ES-355 at the time he switched to the Lucille and the Lucille's binding and fretboard reflect that. I suspect that your ES-345 just had its factory case swapped with a Lucille case at some point.

Danny W.

Nope, it's all correct, case and all. I called Gibson when I bought it. BB used the 345 BEFORE a 355

Pics of the guitar AND case at:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-es-345-reissue-electric-blues-guitar

Nope, it's all correct, case and all. I called Gibson when I bought it. BB used the 345 BEFORE a 355

Pics of the guitar AND case at:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-es-345-reissue-electric-blues-guitar

BB played a number of guitars before the 355 and recorded many of his classic sides on a Telecaster, but the guitar most associated with him before the Lucille is the 355, which he started playing more than 50 years ago. Perhaps they have him confused with Freddie King, who was associated with the 345.

Here's what Gibson says on their website:

"While King played many different guitars throughout the early part of his career, the King of the Blues has played a varied mix of Gibson guitars since the late 1940s, including the ES-175, ES-330, ES-335 and ES-345. He finally made the Gibson ES-355 semi-hollowbody guitar his trademark instrument in the early 1960s, usually stuffing the sound holes to eliminate any chance of feedback."

Notice that they overlooked the ES-5 in that list.

I'm sure you have a beautiful guitar but I think they just had a surplus of BB King cases.

Danny W.

I have an ES345 which I purchase new in Australia for $780 in 1977. It has been my favourite guitar ever since that time. Rightly or wrongly I modified it by removing the trapeze tail piece and installing a Gibson body mounted Stop Tail Piece which increased the sustain. This guitar has seen a lot of work and I have had the frets worked after they became to grooved so now it has really low frets and a great smooth action. Mine has Sterio engraved on the truss rod adjustment cover but I reconnected it for mono very early in it's life. I will never part with this guitar.

BB played a number of guitars before the 355 and recorded many of his classic sides on a Telecaster, but the guitar most associated with him before the Lucille is the 355, which he started playing more than 50 years ago. Perhaps they have him confused with Freddie King, who was associated with the 345.

Here's what Gibson says on their website:

"While King played many different guitars throughout the early part of his career, the King of the Blues has played a varied mix of Gibson guitars since the late 1940s, including the ES-175, ES-330, ES-335 and ES-345. He finally made the Gibson ES-355 semi-hollowbody guitar his trademark instrument in the early 1960s, usually stuffing the sound holes to eliminate any chance of feedback."

Notice that they overlooked the ES-5 in that list.

I'm sure you have a beautiful guitar but I think they just had a surplus of BB King cases.

Danny W.

I actually don't care if he played a silvertone, the 345's WERE delivered as mine. I don't even like BB's playing. Anyway, the web has many more like mine. Follow the link I provided or not your choice.

• 5 months later...

Just picked up a 2003 cherry ES-345. Just ordered a Bigsby B7 for it and a Vibramate installation kit. It came with a BB King case. Wonderful instrument, everything works and it will be even better with the gold Bigsby. No holes will be drilled to install the vibrato. I'd be able to revert back to original with no difference in the instrument.

The guitar plays great. It's a sharp contrast to my 1964 ES 330, which I purchased new back then and also plays fantastic. Gibson sure knows how to build a guitar.

Speaking of a Silvertone, that was my very first guitar back in 1959 I think. I still have it and it's mint. One single "lipstick" pickup. Anyone know what something like this may be worth? A Sears amp came with it and I have no idea where it is now....

Archived