Gibson Brands Forums

J45 True Vintage

bram99

Just checking out the Gibson site I see the J45TV is different than last year. It now sports, open geared three on a plate tuners (was covered gear 3on plate), sunburst finished neck (was dark brown like back and sides), and a slim taper neck (was "traditional V"). It looks like it also comes without the pick guard attached. I would like to see a rectangular bridge and slightly thicker neck on these someday.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/J-45-True-Vintage/Specs.aspx

I have been playing my 2009 45TV a lot lately....it's awesomeness has cured my desires to grow the collection...at least for now. When I play it I think there is nothing that could be better than my J45TV.

So they are going with 1940s style open gear strip tuners and a 1960s neck profile? I do not care what it looks like because the slim taper neck would be a deal killer for me.

At least the nut width is staying constant at 1.725"

Does anybody else sometimes get the feeling that Gibson has a big water tank filled with pong balls with different specs written on them being selected by manatees.

I really don’t get it. It’s even annoying, how decisions are being made lately. They can boast about the Pelham Blue or the Gold Top J45s but can’t even make a correct reissue of a Banner SJ or J45.

Why can’t they simply do the basics right and only then, if they want, mess around with some funky variants?

I mean the guys working hard at the Bozeman factory have magic in their hands. I love my Montana Gibsons, I really do, no doubt. But they could use their savoire-faire and energy to build some really nice guitars, if only the marketing dept let them do…

For instance, I wish they could build a 1952 J45 Legend/Reissue/Historic/True New Vintage/VOS/Whateva, with a Sitka top and the correct J45 original X bracing, nut width, neck profile, long saddle, belly up bridge, golden block angled headstock decal, darker top sunburst, lighter brown back n’ sides…just the way they used to make the 1942 J45 Legend a couple of years ago…

Is it that hard to do ?

I have a 2014 J45 True Vintage in addition to a J45 Koa Limited and a J45 Standard. The TV's neck does have a "V" shape. It is not the same as the others, even though they all show "slim taper" necks in the Gibson website and/or retailer specs.

For instance, I wish they could build a 1952 J45 Legend/Reissue/Historic/True New Vintage/VOS/Whateva, with a Sitka top and the correct J45 original X bracing, nut width, neck profile, long saddle, belly up bridge, golden block angled headstock decal, darker top sunburst, lighter brown back n’ sides…just the way they used to make the 1942 J45 Legend a couple of years ago…

Is it that hard to do ?

Gibson are installing the fancy new Klone2 machine to handle those requests very soon, I heard.

Martins are also doing the same to the necks of most of their models....something to do with Taylor selling billions of 'skinnies'...

I must confess I have no idea what a 'slim taper' neck is?????? Surely not like a Norlin Hummingbird? Did they keep some old necks lying around/

BluesKing777.

I really don’t get it. It’s even annoying, how decisions are being made lately. They can boast about the Pelham Blue or the Gold Top J45s but can’t even make a correct reissue of a Banner SJ or J45.

Why can’t they simply do the basics right and only then, if they want, mess around with some funky variants?

I mean the guys working hard at the Bozeman factory have magic in their hands. I love my Montana Gibsons, I really do, no doubt. But they could use their savoire-faire and energy to build some really nice guitars, if only the marketing dept let them do…

Is it that hard to do ?

They could and have made correct ones. The Legend and the 1942 Banner (the JT guitar) released last year. As for your 1952, they could. and they might one day! if the market demands it. The True Vintage Series was never meant to be EXACT to a particular year. just sort of a mix of features from one era. the Legend is the straight copy.

of course if they REALLY wanted to get accurate then they probably wouldn't sell too many these days (with all specs posted on the internet, and forums being what they are). If they went really accurate then you would play a friend's J45 reissue, love and then order one..... but get something completely different. it might be a hog top, or a maple guitar, or not have a truss rod but would have a MASSIVE neck.

The 45 TV is the most easy to swallow mixture of 1940s specs for most customers to swallow. The Legend is for the hardcore.

I would really like to see your idea for a 1952 Reissue come to life though!

For instance, I wish they could build a 1952 J45 Legend/Reissue/Historic/True New Vintage/VOS/Whateva, with a Sitka top and the correct J45 original X bracing, nut width, neck profile, long saddle, belly up bridge, golden block angled headstock decal, darker top sunburst, lighter brown back n' sides…just the way they used to make the 1942 J45 Legend a couple of years ago…

Is it that hard to do ?

Sounds as if it is time for you to go custom, FOP - to make that bold dream come true. Is it still possible btw. . . ?

They could and have made correct ones...

...The 45 TV is the most easy to swallow mixture of 1940s specs for most customers to swallow. The Legend is for the hardcore.

Modoc, off course I know they could do it, the 1942 Legend J45 is indeed the best example. The question is « do they want to do it? » and the answer is « yes they do...if the market demands ».

Now am I the market ?

And by the way the JT’s SJ Banner reproduction is not really accurate, and the 1942 Banner has a too horizontal Script Logo for my taste.

Back to the OP, the 2014 J45TV has now the three on a plate open back tuners and lighter neck color, and thus seems to slide gently towards the actual 40’s specs.

The next logical step would be the rectangular bridge with the long saddle and then you get the easy-to-swallow 40s-oïd J45. I would love that one.

Or, keep the three on a plate closed tuners and the belly-up bridge (+/- long saddle) AND put the Golden Block Decal on the headstock instead of the Banner, with a Sitka top instead of Adirondack and you get the 50s-oïd J45, I would love that one even more, and it would cost a little less.

So that would be for the nerds like me who spend more time complaining about specs accuracy than actually playing the darn thing.

For the real (professionnal or not) musicians, just keep the standard J45 with the big ugly-heavy but handy Rotomatics, with the electronics as an option.

Ain’t that easy ?

Sounds as if it is time for you to go custom, FOP - to make that bold dream come true. Is it still possible btw. . . ?

E-Minor7, I’m sure Gibson could include one (or both) of the dream-J45TVs described above on their standard production line (or at least as a limited run), they would sell very well and would certainly not cost more to produce.

Or better yet, just buy an early 1950s J-45.

Zombywoof, I wonder if I will ever get a chance to even see a single vintage 1952 J45 in my life…

Chubby necks -- I've got one on my OJ and I like it, but thery're a fashion statement on internet guitar boards. So is strict adherence to vintage specs.. For every guy out there who wants an authentic vintage repro, there are a hundred who want a great sounding guitar with a modern neck profile, and they don't know squat about vintage specs. I don't know if this stuff is driven by the marketing dept. or not. It's almost certainly driven by a desire to sell more upscale guitars.

P

Regarding the neck on the j-45 TV. My guess is that "just" the specs on the side are wrong. From what I see in the pictures, that doesn't look like a slim taper neck. The intersection between neck and headstock looks different on guitars with a slim taper neck.

Archived