Gibson Brands Forums

Gruhn 2013 J-45 TV

ChrisM

Was browsing the Gruhn website the other day and came across this 2013 J-45 TV

http://www.gruhn.com/photo/AG6211.jpg

Compared to my 2011 (I think it's 2011 at least) J-45 TV it looks a little different.

When did they start spraying the burst like this?

When did they switch to the nicer more authentic open geared tuners?

The back of the neck is also finished a bit differently then what I am used to seeing.

Interesting that there is no pickguard either.... I'm thinking this may not be a standard J-45 TV model maybe.

The 'burst in this photograph actually looks more "authentic" than a lot of modern 'bursts, which may be more artistic, but perhaps less authentic. What appears to be a 'burst neck is a pretty neat touch. Likewise the open-gear tuners, like war-period J-45's.

Now, if they just did a 19-fret neck, they'd be aiming in the right direction.

Pickguard? I suspect it is supplied separately, so you can position it in the way that seems "correct" to you.

That is a gorgeous guitar, IMHO.

So we agree the guitar is a cool one but where is it coming from? Is this what 2013 J-45 TV were, didn't think so? Doesn't say anything about custom so I'm confused.

Personally I really like that burst!

So we agree the guitar is a cool one but where is it coming from? Is this what 2013 J-45 TV were, didn't think so? Doesn't say anything about custom so I'm confused.

Personally I really like that burst!

Not a big burst fan but that is one that I like.

my only critique (and a minor one at that) is that in the photo it looks like they went a bit heavy on the ageing of the binding for my tastes. and I LOVE that neck--wish they did it on more of the bursts.

my only critique (and a minor one at that) is that in the photo it looks like they went a bit heavy on the ageing of the binding for my tastes. and I LOVE that neck--wish they did it on more of the bursts.

I agree . noticed the similar neck on the new j15, think it looks great. Am also a fan of those 3 in a row tuners. Am considering some of those for mine.

The TV frets look lower height. I would love this guitar if it had a flatter fret board. Like a lot of the Martin, Collings, Bourgeois, and Santa Cruz.

14 - 24" compound radius. Everything else is great, except the 12" round board, just for my liking.

I played this guitar in the OP at Gruhn's today. It was certainly nice, but it didn't knock me out like the Guild F30R I bought there a couple months ago. I have a 2010 J45 standard that I really like, so, it would have to beat that. This OP guitar certainly looks great but if tone and playability doesn't knock me out, I don't buy. I took it into an audition room and played it. I noticed it had a little bit of finish cracks where the lower end of the pick guard would go. I don't remember if it was new or used. I also don't know age of strings.

It certainly had wonderful Gibson thump but it didn't knock me out enough to leave with it. Any one of you might find it totally different!

Archived